For the Finebaum haters

deepseas

Now I get to hear the seet voice of Ken Stabler on the ride home! Good times! Seems the Finebaum dislike is not limited to just the AUNation.

Fienbaum geeting replaced

Media Frenzy

By Rob Holbert

Managing Editor

It seems Paul Finebaum’s show has been "snaked" out of the Mobile market—at least for a little while.

Kenny "Snake" Stabler’s new daily sports/talk radio program "The Ultimate Sports Show" found a place on the Port City’s airwaves beginning March 26. Unfortunately for Finebaum’s show, that spot is on WPMI 710 AM at precisely the time his show airs. On the plus side, it seems Finebaum’s show quickly landed a new home on WNSP 105.5 FM, but he won’t be going head-to-head with The Snake.

There had been some speculation that Finebaum’s tenure with Clear Channel stations might be in danger when he left WERC, 960 AM in Birmingham last month, taking his show to WJOX, a high-powered FM station in "The Magic City."

WPMI programming director Scott O’Brien confirmed the switch from Finebaum’s to Stabler’s show, saying Finebaum’s last day on the air was March 23. O’Brien said he was not aware of all the details involving Stabler’s show statewide, but added that the former University of Alabama and Oakland Raider quarterback would have a place on Clear Channel stations in several Alabama markets.

"Kenny described the program as one that’s going to take calls and have special guests and will discuss all types of sports. Obviously they will deal heavily with football, but they’ll also discuss baseball, basketball and even NASCAR," O’Brien said.

The show airs from 2-6 p.m. weekdays.

Stabler has been a regular on Alabama football broadcasts for some time. Stabler and his co-host Chris Stewart began hosting "The Ultimate Sports Show" on WERC, 960 AM, in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago. O’Brien said now that the show is carried in Mobile, Stabler will do much of his broadcasting from here. Stewart will usually broadcast from WERC, so the two will frequently not be in studio together.

"The show will originate live from Mobile and Birmingham. I believe Kenny has a studio downtown and Chris will be doing it in a studio at WERC. It takes some getting used to not having your co-host there," O’Brien said. "Take it from me, it is easier to do with the co-host there, but it’s just a matter of getting comfortable with it."

Meanwhile, WNSP’s Tim Camp said his station is in the midst of wrapping up a deal to broadcast Finebaum’s show on a delayed basis weekdays from 6-10 p.m. Camp said WNSP’s "Sports Drive" show routinely outperformed Finebaum’s show in the local ratings, justifying moving Finebaum to a later time slot.

"We were not going to pre-empt ‘Sports Drive’ for Finebaum. ‘Sports Drive’ kicked his butt at that time, so it didn’t make sense," Camp said.

Camp said they are working on some technical issues with getting Finebaum’s show in a delayed format, so it won’t be back on the air locally until the second Monday in April. Finebaum also writes a sports column for the Mobile Press-Register.

"He elected to leave Clear Channel, so from the standpoint of an independent broadcaster, I’m glad to give him a chance to get back on the air in Mobile," Camp said.

Stabler’s new show will not affect his status with the Crimson Tide Sports Network, which he has done color commentary for over the past several years.

Rob Holbert is Lagniappe managing editor. Contact him at

The Ultimate Sports Show is really bad. It is just anothe Alabama football show competing with five other Alabama sports show for half of the listening audience. Just how stupid are these program directors?

The Ultimate Sports Show is really bad. It is just anothe Alabama football show competing with five other Alabama sports show for half of the listening audience. Just how stupid are these program directors?

Stupid is as stupid does.

Yeah, I really don't like Finebaum, but I don't know that Stabler will be any better. His voice is like fingernails on a blackboard to me.

That's like getting rid of the Clap and getting Herpes.

:roflol: Perfect analogy.

As far as we know, at least Finebaum is not an alcoholic and wanted by the IRS for tax fraud. So, I guess you can say that the went backwards instead of at least staying equal.

That's like getting rid of the Clap and getting Herpes.

:roflol: Perfect analogy.

As far as we know, at least Finebaum is not an alcoholic and wanted by the IRS for tax fraud. So, I guess you can say that the went backwards instead of at least staying equal.

Hey, being wanted by the IRS for anything is a badge of honor. I do so HATE those fargin' bastages!!!

:au::homer:

Sometimes Finebaum can even convince himself that there is no 800 pound gorilla in the room.

The few times I have spoken with Paul on the air, we laughed about just how insanely high the expectations were with the Alabama fan base.

How high?

1) Tyler Watts was said to be assured of 2-3 MNCs and at least 1-2 Heismans the day he signed with Alabama.

2) Brodie Croyle was said to be the greatest qb ever to wear Crimson and he was said to be a lock for 1-2 MNCs and at least 1 Heisman.

3) Expecting a 8-9 win season in 2003 after Price left.

4) Spin and Repeat...

Folks that was just off the top of my head IN SPEAKING WITH FINEBAUM. This is another one of those Prank'd Punk'd & Finebaum'd articles of his. He is simultaneously denying he had any hand in the unrealistic expectations, when he most certainly did. He is also trying to get the insanity level even higher by crying for the need for more.

He might not be your favorite radio guy, but you have to MARVEL at the way he can play an audience with his words whether they are on the radio or in print.

For PF, another day at the office, that is all.

David, you hit the nail on the head when it comes to PF. He knows who mostly listens to his show, so he targets that majority. He knows his target audience is easy pickings, so to speak. That is why he does not get a lot of AU people calling his show, because he can't pull the wool over our eyes as easy as he can bammers.

For instance, how many times have you heard a bammer call him up and praise his show and tell him how smart he is compared to an AU fan doing it? I for one have never heard an AU fan do it, but I would bet there have been a handful, but nothing compared to the number of mindless crimson kool-aid drinkers that see PF as the Prime Minister of UAT athletics. You really can't blame the guy for doing what brings in the ratings. The only thing you could hold against him is for taking advantage of the mentally challenged I guess.

My wife watched me read this post and said that is my old boss and I said what. The lagnappe is a a great magazine/paper in mobile. She was a ad rep for them at one time. anyways just FYE.

Archived