still can't block off the corner

tigernt'town

i was drug to the :ua: scrimmage saturday by one of my friends, i went for sheer amusement to watch the saban worship firsthand. notes on the day, most glaring thing i noticed is that their tackles still cannot block the defensive ends, when quentin groves lines up on 'em it will prove very interesting. i say QG will have at least 4 sacks on wilson next iron bowl. B)

With all due respect, the only breakdown I saw was with the second team right tackle. The first team O-line did a very respectable job, and I anticipate they will be much better than last season.

Zach Schreiber got to McElroy a few times, but as I said, that was second team versus second team.

The areas for most work seemed to be: 1. D-line, especially DT. Not much penetration up the middle. 2. A tendency by both QB's to occasionally telegraph their throws. 3. I think the RB position is going to be in turmoil for a few games...Jamar Taylor and Terry Grant seemed to be the most impressive in gaining yards after contact and hitting the hole, but they are both fairly small...going to have to nail down the short yardage power back. Johns and Coffee did fairly well, but I never felt they were a danger to go long yardage.

Areas I was most impressed with: 1. Bama is very deep and talented at the receiver position for 2007. Hall, Brown, Stover, Caddell, Alexander, and McCoy are all big speedy receivers with good hands. Gibson comes in during the fall as well. 2. Lowe and Arenas together as return men might be real fun to watch. 3. The team as a whole looks more lean and powerful. Andre Smith, Prince Hall, and JPW have all three gained muscle mass and JPW seems to have more zip on the ball. Smith and Prince have also dropped some baby fat.

Overall, I think the 2007 team will be improved over 2006, especially on the offensive side of the ball. If the RB position smooths out and the o-line stays healthy, Bama could have a very productive O. The defense is a question mark. They are fast, but not overly powerful. Especially up front. The D-backs will do fine and the corners will take a little while to get used to man to man, but the LB depth is very thin. The new scheme is extraordinarily complex from what I have heard, so it will take a while for it to be assimilated. I expect the D to give up some big plays, but they should remain tough enough for Bama to win if the offense produces like they should.

I will not make any solid predictions, but I do anticipate a more focused, disciplined, tough, and conditioned team. I expect they will win a couple that they aren't predicted to win. I don't think this will be an SEC championship, or even SEC west season, but it will be more fun to watch than last year. An SEC West berth would be a great coup.

Archived