"Finebaum says..." about Bama A-Day

DKW 86

Saban aura matches fans' expectations

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

When Nick Saban took a long look around Bryant-Denny Stadium on Saturday, seeing 92,138 fans watching a football team scrimmage, he probably didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

On a sun-drenched spring day, where admission was free, most showed up to simply say they were in the same zip code as Alabama's new $4 million man and one could sense Saban probably knew that.

Is this necessarily a good thing for Saban as he attempts to pick up the pieces of four years of incompetence and ineptness (and almost $10 million down in the drain in salary and buyouts) and attempts to make Alabama a consistent contender again?

Or is it more indication of a culture out of control, one whose expectations never quite mesh with reality and in the process has garnered an increasingly unappetizing image in the broader sports world?

While it's a plus to be popular, expectations can swing dramatically and totally out of whack. In recent years, Alabama has become a program that has no middle ground or a fundamental base. It's like the weather and the stock market with wild swings and gyrations but no stability.

Just look at the season-ending records between 1996-2006: 10-3, 4-7, 7-5, 10-3, 3-8, 7-5, 10-3, 4-9, 6-6, 10-2 and 6-7. Of course, during this period, Alabama has had five different men who sat behind the desk as the Tide's head coach. Saban is No. 6.

This isn't to say Alabama football sent a message out Saturday with the record crowd. It did and it was heard loud and clear throughout the sports world.

But what kind of message?

It was already well established Alabama football is a religion in this state. It was already cemented in people's brain cells the school was desperate to change the program's directions. Remember, it waited 38 days for Saban to show up after Shula was fired and rewarded him with the biggest contract in college football.

Everyone knows about Alabama's past in football.

However, my sense is the A-Day record crowd will be held against Alabama in certain circles. Frankly, it already has been with numerous catcalls and boos from commentators on ESPN. One called Alabama fans "sick." Another pulled out the "delusional" tag. In other words, business as usual.

You will hear Auburn fans wondering if Alabama fans will claim the A-Day attendance equates to the Tide now having earned a 13th national championship. :thumbsup:

This is part of the give and take of college football, but it could also be a problem for Saban as he tries to convert a program that has gone 26-24 over the last four years into a legitimate contender.

My impressions of Saban are of a man who will not cut corners and is more concerned in building a foundation with solid fundamentals than simply trying to please the faithful.

So how long will it take? If it doesn't happen the first year or even the second year, will people be able to sit and give him time?

I wrote in this space the other day that I thought Alabama would go 7-5 in Saban's first year. I could have easily said 8-4 or 9-3. However, I went conservative thinking the transition on the field (vs. attendance in the stands) might be more difficult. Fans immediately started e-mailing to tell me I was crazy, that Alabama was in much better shape. It had as much talent as Auburn.

One man wrote me saying, "a monkey can win seven games at Alabama. At $4 million a year," the man said, "nothing less than nine or 10 wins will be acceptable."

The culture of Alabama football is not dramatically different than other schools. But it is different. How so, you can say?

Well, let me attempt to explain this way.

The two biggest names in college football history are Notre Dame and Alabama. The two have had the two biggest coaches -- Knute Rockne and Bear Bryant -- and between the schools, a total of 27 national championships. :no:

Saturday, Notre Dame had it annual spring scrimmage and drew its biggest crowd ever -- 51,852. Saturday, Alabama had its annual game and drew 92,138.

So how big is Alabama football? It's bigger than life. Now, for the first time in 25 years, it has a head coach capable of meeting the expectations.

It is now official, Saban hasnt coached a game and he already dwarfs Gene Stallings who won an MNC back in 1992. Finebaum is coyly validating what the rest of the SEC/nation is seeing. That the expectations are already "higher than a Georgia Pine." I know the sane bama posters here are going to tell me that we are wrong, etc. Hey, often the best vantage point IS outside the woods.

We'll see if PF and Cecil's attempts at lower the Bammer expectations will work. They know Bama is three years away and they are just trying to keep the fans from running Saban off before the job is done....

The two biggest names in college football history are Notre Dame and Alabama. The two have had the two biggest coaches -- Knute Rockne and Bear Bryant -- and between the schools, a total of 27 national championships.

Saturday, Notre Dame had it annual spring scrimmage and drew its biggest crowd ever -- 51,852. Saturday, Alabama had its annual game and drew 92,138.

So how big is Alabama football? It's bigger than life. Now, for the first time in 25 years, it has a head coach capable of meeting the expectations.

That's cool......Roll Tide!

Saban aura matches fans' expectations

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

When Nick Saban took a long look around Bryant-Denny Stadium on Saturday, seeing 92,138 fans watching a football team scrimmage, he probably didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

On a sun-drenched spring day, where admission was free, most showed up to simply say they were in the same zip code as Alabama's new $4 million man and one could sense Saban probably knew that.

Is this necessarily a good thing for Saban as he attempts to pick up the pieces of four years of incompetence and ineptness (and almost $10 million down in the drain in salary and buyouts) and attempts to make Alabama a consistent contender again?

Or is it more indication of a culture out of control, one whose expectations never quite mesh with reality and in the process has garnered an increasingly unappetizing image in the broader sports world?

While it's a plus to be popular, expectations can swing dramatically and totally out of whack. In recent years, Alabama has become a program that has no middle ground or a fundamental base. It's like the weather and the stock market with wild swings and gyrations but no stability.

Just look at the season-ending records between 1996-2006: 10-3, 4-7, 7-5, 10-3, 3-8, 7-5, 10-3, 4-9, 6-6, 10-2 and 6-7. Of course, during this period, Alabama has had five different men who sat behind the desk as the Tide's head coach. Saban is No. 6.

This isn't to say Alabama football sent a message out Saturday with the record crowd. It did and it was heard loud and clear throughout the sports world.

But what kind of message?

It was already well established Alabama football is a religion in this state. It was already cemented in people's brain cells the school was desperate to change the program's directions. Remember, it waited 38 days for Saban to show up after Shula was fired and rewarded him with the biggest contract in college football.

Everyone knows about Alabama's past in football.

However, my sense is the A-Day record crowd will be held against Alabama in certain circles. Frankly, it already has been with numerous catcalls and boos from commentators on ESPN. One called Alabama fans "sick." Another pulled out the "delusional" tag. In other words, business as usual.

You will hear Auburn fans wondering if Alabama fans will claim the A-Day attendance equates to the Tide now having earned a 13th national championship. :thumbsup:

This is part of the give and take of college football, but it could also be a problem for Saban as he tries to convert a program that has gone 26-24 over the last four years into a legitimate contender.

My impressions of Saban are of a man who will not cut corners and is more concerned in building a foundation with solid fundamentals than simply trying to please the faithful.

So how long will it take? If it doesn't happen the first year or even the second year, will people be able to sit and give him time?

I wrote in this space the other day that I thought Alabama would go 7-5 in Saban's first year. I could have easily said 8-4 or 9-3. However, I went conservative thinking the transition on the field (vs. attendance in the stands) might be more difficult. Fans immediately started e-mailing to tell me I was crazy, that Alabama was in much better shape. It had as much talent as Auburn.

One man wrote me saying, "a monkey can win seven games at Alabama. At $4 million a year," the man said, "nothing less than nine or 10 wins will be acceptable."

The culture of Alabama football is not dramatically different than other schools. But it is different. How so, you can say?

Well, let me attempt to explain this way.

The two biggest names in college football history are Notre Dame and Alabama. The two have had the two biggest coaches -- Knute Rockne and Bear Bryant -- and between the schools, a total of 27 national championships. :no:

It is now official, Saban hasnt coached a game and he already dwarfs Gene Stallings who won an MNC back in 1992. Finebaum is coyly validating what the rest of the SEC/nation is seeing. That the expectations are already "higher than a Georgia Pine." I know the sane bama posters here are going to tell me that we are wrong, etc. Hey, often the best vantage point IS outside the woods.

your right about the NC's........Notre Dame does not have 15.

I listened to finescum on the way home today a little (only sports talk I can get.).

A bama guy called in and scum busted on him for saying that alabama would be great again because they were before. Scum asks him if just because russia was once strong does that mean they will again terrorize the world.

The guys response was "Russia doesn't have Saban". No poop. I almost wrecked my car and was so glad to not be sipping some soda.

If Alabama wins 7 games as some Bama fans have said "could happen"

He will be on the hot seat.

Laugh all you want, losing 5 games to AU, UT, ext....will not sit well....Shula didnt put UA into the toilet talent wise.

I never cease to be amazed at how in the know and intelligent the average football forum poster seems to be.

I am also amazed that anyone gives a rat's butt about the media. It's not like Auburn or Alabama have received positive feedback from anyone other than the few homers out there for each team.

The one thing these discussions are always good for is a good old fashioned hasty generalization based solely upon assumptions and "media speculation". Let's take a look back recently at some of the better prognostications and assumptions based upon hype.

Remember back when Alabama was preseason ranked #3 and was to come out blazing against UCLA?

Or what about Auburn scheduling USC for an opener? Those California teams don't play defense and USC is down. That stupid Carroll character sucked in pro-ball.

Alabama can not possibly beat Miami in the Sugar Bowl...Miami is just "at another level."

Auburn doesn't deserve to go to the BCS championship because they started too low in the polls and played a weak OOC schedule...

Screw the media and the BS hype they create.

Or what about Auburn scheduling USC for an opener? Those California teams don't play defense and USC is down. That stupid Carroll character sucked in pro-ball.

They don't. Our offense just took a few games off that year. :P

What something like 6 quarters without a touchdown. I remember that year, you guys played Tech in the first game.

Laugh all you want, losing 5 games to AU, UT, ext....will not sit well....Shula didnt put UA into the toilet talent wise.

actually, myself and most of the fans/alumni that i know are only expecting about 7 wins the first few seasons. if we got 8 we would be pretty happy about that.

What something like 6 quarters without a touchdown. I remember that year, you guys played Tech in the first game.

USC was the first game. Remember, we spotted them 13 points.

GT was the second, when we made Reggie Ball look like a stud.

I blame it all on that male cheerleader that jinxed us minutes before the season started.

"Alright Auburn, when we score our first touchdown, I want this side to say 'Touchdown' and this side to say 'Auburn'."

So some loser Bama fan calls in the other day and says, "Well, now that's Bama's back, Auburn's reign is officially over. You would think that the Aubies could have at least won a national title while Alabama was down."

Finebaum responds, "You act like a 13-0 season, a number 2 ranking, and 11 wins this past year mean nothing."

Idiot redneck trash then says, "Well, Paul, noone remember #2. Do you think the Aubies are gonna win a title now that Saban is our head coach."

Finebaum responds, "I'm certainly not betting on it."

Hey Bama fans, I have a trivia question for ya. When was the last time that Alabama beat Auburn and won a title(SEC or NC) in the same year in which Auburn had a winning season?

Give up? Answer: 1979. Auburn was 8-3 that year but did not go to a bowl game. Let's examine Bama's titles since and Auburn's record in the same year.

1981 SEC Title: Okay, Bama shared the SEC title with UGA this year. Auburn was 5-6.

1989 doesn't count because Auburn beat Bama that year and went 10-2.

1992: SEC and MNC. Auburn went 5-5-1.

1999: SEC Title. Auburn went 5-6.

Now, let's examine Auburn's titles since 1979.

1983: SEC and NY Times national title. Bama went something like 8-3 or 7-4.

1987: SEC Title. Bama won like 8 or 9 games that year.

1988: SEC Title. Bama won like 7 or 8 games that year.

1989: SEC Title. Bama shared the title with us and Tennessee that year and finished 10-2.

1993: 11-0. Okay, no title but an undefeated season is always worth mentioning. Bama finished 9-2-1.

2004: SEC and Peoples National Title. Bama finished 6-5, qualified for a bowl game, and was #1 in America in total defense.

So, who beats who while they're down? Who wins titles while who's down? I think that Bama fans would benefit from examining this record a little more closely.

It's so funny to listen to these loser Bama fans like Perry and the talk show host they idolize, Paul Finebaum, who assume that going undefeated and winning a national title is as easy and as possible as drinking green beer on St. Patrick's Day. They claim that Auburn didn't win a national title while they were in a "weakened state," but make no mention that a flawed BCS prevented us from accomplishing anything. So, we get screwed, yet, it's our own fault. Talk about a freeking oxymoron.

Trust me Bama fans, we'll get our national title eventually, especially with the direction that our program has been going in the last few years. And if the past 25 years serves as an accurate historical indication, then Auburn will win the title the same year that Bama has a winning record and goes to a bowl game.

And if the past 25 years serves as an accurate historical indication, then Auburn will win the title the same year that Bama has a winning record and goes to a bowl game.

Bammers - Please hurry up and get better........

actually, myself and most of the fans/alumni that i know are only expecting about 7 wins the first few seasons. if we got 8 we would be pretty happy about that.

I don't believe you. I really don't. Like I said above, it's very easy to say now that you expect 7-8 wins but when you actually do lose those 4-5 games, I think your opinion is going to be quite different.

I don't believe you. I really don't. Like I said above, it's very easy to say now that you expect 7-8 wins but when you actually do lose those 4-5 games, I think your opinion is going to be quite different.

i agree, it seems that by just hiring saban the university has pleased much of its fanbase during the offseason so much that they expect a 40 million dollar coach to only win as much as shula. After shelling out that much money there has to be hightened expectations or else its all a waste of time and money.

Yeah right...You pay a coach an obscene amount of money and for a few (THREE) years you would be OK with 7 wins.

:blink:

Are you interested in buying into an investment opportunity? Send me a PM and I will tell you all about it.

:roflol:

i agree, it seems that by just hiring saban the university has pleased much of its fanbase during the offseason so much that they expect a 40 million dollar coach to only win as much as shula. After shelling out that much money there has to be hightened expectations or else its all a waste of time and money.

Shula's inflated recruiting rankings are not going to help with that either.

you should, because thats honestly how i feel. everyone feel free to save this post and call me out/bury me with it if you like later in the season, but you won't be needing it. our program was pretty well in the crapper and i think it will take more than a year to turn it around. completely new schemes on both sides of the ball, all new coaches, etc. i just don't see it being a cinderella season.

So some loser Bama fan calls in the other day and says, "Well, now that's Bama's back, Auburn's reign is officially over. You would think that the Aubies could have at least won a national title while Alabama was down."

Finebaum responds, "You act like a 13-0 season, a number 2 ranking, and 11 wins this past year mean nothing."

Idiot redneck trash then says, "Well, Paul, noone remember #2. Do you think the Aubies are gonna win a title now that Saban is our head coach."

Finebaum responds, "I'm certainly not betting on it."

Hey Bama fans, I have a trivia question for ya. When was the last time that Alabama beat Auburn and won a title(SEC or NC) in the same year in which Auburn had a winning season?

Give up? Answer: 1979. Auburn was 8-3 that year but did not go to a bowl game. Let's examine Bama's titles since and Auburn's record in the same year.

1981 SEC Title: Okay, Bama shared the SEC title with UGA this year. Auburn was 5-6.

1989 doesn't count because Auburn beat Bama that year and went 10-2.

1992: SEC and MNC. Auburn went 5-5-1.

1999: SEC Title. Auburn went 5-6.

Now, let's examine Auburn's titles since 1979.

1983: SEC and NY Times national title. Bama went something like 8-3 or 7-4.

1987: SEC Title. Bama won like 8 or 9 games that year.

1988: SEC Title. Bama won like 7 or 8 games that year.

1989: SEC Title. Bama shared the title with us and Tennessee that year and finished 10-2.

1993: 11-0. Okay, no title but an undefeated season is always worth mentioning. Bama finished 9-2-1.

2004: SEC and Peoples National Title. Bama finished 6-5, qualified for a bowl game, and was #1 in America in total defense.

So, who beats who while they're down? Who wins titles while who's down? I think that Bama fans would benefit from examining this record a little more closely.

It's so funny to listen to these loser Bama fans like Perry and the talk show host they idolize, Paul Finebaum, who assume that going undefeated and winning a national title is as easy and as possible as drinking green beer on St. Patrick's Day. They claim that Auburn didn't win a national title while they were in a "weakened state," but make no mention that a flawed BCS prevented us from accomplishing anything. So, we get screwed, yet, it's our own fault. Talk about a freeking oxymoron.

Trust me Bama fans, we'll get our national title eventually, especially with the direction that our program has been going in the last few years. And if the past 25 years serves as an accurate historical indication, then Auburn will win the title the same year that Bama has a winning record and goes to a bowl game.

Outstanding post. But posting it for the bammers is, unfortunately, a waste of time. They refuse to accept the FACTS when presented to them. I'm not sure if its that they can't read, their Ignorant, or are simply in denial that someone can dare challenge them. Not really related to your post here, well, maybe it is. Their arrogance and delusion of dominance isn't just for us, although we hear it more than anybody else. They actually think they are better than everybody, but, They love to think they own Tennessee too, but when looking at their history, which two teams have been uat more than any others in the country?? YES, AUBURN AND TENNESSEE. In fact, nearly 23% of uat's losses have been to just those two schools. That's almost 1 out of every 4 losses, people. This with the series with us interrupted for many years. What would have been like had it not been interupted?? Given the history of this series, chances are Auburn would lead this series had it not been interrupted. Yet, even with these FACTS before them, the uat fans will spin this into something that its not.

Now to help out:

uat records:

1983 8 4

1987 7 5

1988 9 3

1989 10 2

1993 1 12 (officially) before forfeits 9-3-1

2004 6 6 (forgot the bowl game loss)

Archived