This year reminds me of 1971

BAMMERPERRY

My yard sucks. Too many trees, lots of dirt.

The back yard is good, though. Except for the weeds. About two years ago I started having an infestation of broadleaf. I don't know what to do to get rid of them and not have big gaps. Where I live a lawn service is out of the question.

e1363v78.jpg

Looks kind of like this. I want this stuff DEAD.

I've also got a huge poison ivy problem. Our land is adjacent to some undeveloped land with a creek. Poison ivy clogs the hill behind the house and invades the yard. The dogs get in it. I'm highly sensitive to the stupid crap. I've tried Roundup Brush and Weed Killer Concentrate. The stuff laughs at it.

Suggestions?

Check out the county agent's website. www.aces.edu

I have found lots of stuff to help with our yard, bugs, weeds.

What is the best tip you can give for weed problems in your yard. I have been using Scott's Turfbuilder for about two years, but I still have weeds everywhere. I am considering just paying for a lawn service, but if anyone had good luck with a brand of weed control, let me know

Concrete all of it.

What is the best tip you can give for weed problems in your yard. I have been using Scott's Turfbuilder for about two years, but I still have weeds everywhere. I am considering just paying for a lawn service, but if anyone had good luck with a brand of weed control, let me know

I'm using the same thing with the "plus weed control" and I have MORE weeds than when I started.

Make sure the Scott's that you are getting is specific for your grass. By that I mean, if you have Zoysia, get one for Zoysia, if you have Bermuda, get one for Bermuda, etc. Also, follow the yearly schedule on that for pre-emergence, fall, etc. Once a year won't kill all the weeds. It'll make a huge dent, but they'll come back.

Amen to that. My neighbor's Zoysia was 'invading' my burmada along the edge of my yard. I threw out some Scott's for Bermuda. The Zoysia was GONE in about 3 months and it looks awful along the edge of my yard.

So if you got a mix of Zoysia and Bermuda, be careful.

My yard sucks. Too many trees, lots of dirt.

The back yard is good, though. Except for the weeds. About two years ago I started having an infestation of broadleaf. I don't know what to do to get rid of them and not have big gaps. Where I live a lawn service is out of the question.

e1363v78.jpg

Looks kind of like this. I want this stuff DEAD.

I've also got a huge poison ivy problem. Our land is adjacent to some undeveloped land with a creek. Poison ivy clogs the hill behind the house and invades the yard. The dogs get in it. I'm highly sensitive to the stupid crap. I've tried Roundup Brush and Weed Killer Concentrate. The stuff laughs at it.

Suggestions?

Check out the county agent's website. www.aces.edu

I have found lots of stuff to help with our yard, bugs, weeds.

Jamesmyboy's 2nd favorite man: the county agent.

1st is, of course, the PopQuiz Man.

Go synthetic, man! It worked for the Brady Bunch.

New grass.com

Just finished building a house. Sod was laid 3 weeks ago. I was told not to do anything other than water it for at least a month because the sod farm most certainly had been fertilizing, weed control etc.

I'm proud to have a new, good looking lawn but I've also been known to F a yard up in a heartbeat. Any tips?

even though i've eliminated the weeds in my lawn a while ago, i always use the scotts in may/june (the stuff for dandelions) and in feb with the preemerge.

the other parts of the year i use Lesco brand. they're a LOT cheaper and they green up and winterize the lawn better than scotts IMO. since you've got good sod, i'd wait until early june and just treat with the lesco brand.

Nice Dr. James Brown reference there. I would give anything to take that class again. Sometimes I consider just going and sitting in on a lecture for entertainment purposes only. It is as good as an hour of Comedy Central.

JAMES BROWN! Pop quiz man quit smoking them imaginary cigarettes yet? I took his class a bit further, I worked on his special projects class in the spring............you talk about funny! Get him in Organic Gardening and you would laugh......hang out with him in the field and you would hurt from laughing at him!

Has it ever occurred to anybody else that maybe lawn maintenance is nothing more than a government plot? Essentially countless Americans squander their free time cutting grass. I mean, doesn't it strike anybody else as a pointless activity designed to keep us from thinking about what the government is up to?

Has it ever occurred to anybody else that maybe lawn maintenance is nothing more than a government plot? Essentially countless Americans squander their free time cutting grass. I mean, doesn't it strike anybody else as a pointless activity designed to keep us from thinking about what the government is up to?

Well I'm screwed since for the rest of my life i'll be taking care a BIG lawn (Golf course).

Well I'm screwed since for the rest of my life i'll be taking care a BIG lawn (Golf course).

Yeah, but do you do your own lawn? Talk about a busman's holiday.

Poison ivy/oak? Use Brush-B-gone. Just hit everything good. Got shade, get a tine tiller and tear that yard up. Then throw out the fescue.

You can use TrueGreen if you want, but about 5 years ago, they killed my lawn. One summer I had aplush green lawn, the next, a brown dirty lawn. I eventually de-thatched about 10 30 gallon cans full, plug aerated a lot and watered to death my bermuda lawn. I hired some local boys to come out on contract. About $10 less than the big boys. And if there is ever a problem, they will retreat for free. I help small business and they keep me from having to fertilize, lime, etc..

Now if my 10 year old will just get bigger, I won't even have to mow.

I started using the Ferti-Lome program several years ago. I made the mistake of using Scott's one summer and will never do so again. I do supplement with Bayer's weed killer and find it more effective than Ortho's Weed-be-gone.

I have to tell you...TruGreen has done an excellent job for me.

Just remember this, unless you enjoy the tedium of yard work, do you really want to spend your precious off time doing it? And what's worth more, your weekend or saving forty bucks a month?

TruGreen has done a great job for me as well. Definitely worth the money.

I have to tell you...TruGreen has done an excellent job for me.

Just remember this, unless you enjoy the tedium of yard work, do you really want to spend your precious off time doing it? And what's worth more, your weekend or saving forty bucks a month?

TruGreen has done a great job for me as well. Definitely worth the money.

Same here. We have had a few issues over the years, but they are very quick to come out and re-treat if necessary when the weeds start popping up again.

Archived