Alabama = Ole Miss

GalensGhost

You did offer Bruce Figgins. You also offered Maze and Davis.

Just because you may have pulled an offer after they commit elsewhere...doesn't mean you didn't offer.

If I'm not mistaken, Maze had an AU, UA, and Michigan hat on the table at his press conference.

And to accuse us of paying players as the reason why someone didn't go to your school? That's just as bad as "well we didn't want him anyway".

And I'd be more than happy to provide you with the rivals profiles that list them as having an offer.

Again with the Rivals. Have we not made it clear to you that information from there is viewed with skepticism if not outright disdain? It is a bama bobo honking machine. I put zero stock in it particularly when it uses info on an attempt to prop up bama and belittle AU.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had an AU experience. Wound up marrying her almost 24 years ago.

my AU experience was kinda tall, long dark hair, and is now in law school in arkansas. my son's mother is an AU dropout

Just because you may have pulled an offer after they commit elsewhere...doesn't mean you didn't offer.

If I'm not mistaken, Maze had an AU, UA, and Michigan hat on the table at his press conference.

And to accuse us of paying players as the reason why someone didn't go to your school? That's just as bad as "well we didn't want him anyway".

And I'd be more than happy to provide you with the rivals profiles that list them as having an offer.

Again with the Rivals. Have we not made it clear to you that information from there is viewed with skepticism if not outright disdain? It is a bama bobo honking machine. I put zero stock in it particularly when it uses info on an attempt to prop up bama and belittle AU.

you put zero stock in anything that doesn't say outright that AU is the best football team in the universe. is there ANY media or information outlet you DO like, other than the eufaula times and montgomery advertiser?

that's beside the point. the original statement was about bama flinging out offers indiscriminately like they're moving hot electronics. are you really all that psyched up about the kids saban's signed? who has he got that's worth the excitement? recruiting is easier right now because of his name and the legendary hype. wait a year and see how he does after he coaches a season.

you and GG are the ones that are putting out an assumption that its "indiscriminate" offers, and i can almost bet that neither of you have even looked up any stats on any of those guys. the quote he gave was from mitch dobbs of bama magazine. so i don't think the statement was made in a negative context. the next line states "What (Saban) did from January up until signing day laid the foundation of what's to come.", so this shouldn't be all that surprising. even a little after he got hired CNS said that he likes to make offers in spring to get the ball rolling.

You'd lose your money. I don't know all the guys he's "signed" but I do know some of them -- and more than just about anybody in the state about one of them.

What motivation would Scout have in removing the info? None, owned by Rupert Murdoch.

What motivation would Rivals have in having bogus info? Alot, owned by a Bammer.........

Remeber the last time you trusted Rivals. "Shula recruits lights out."

BG my info came from CTT himself. I think he knows who he offered and who he didnt. Anyone on the February Conf Call can verify this.

Matt, I'm not so sure he was a bad recruiter. I think he was a very poor developer of talent.

A non-existent strength program and zero team discipline may equal a 7 loss season. I just don't think it was because of poor recruiting -- especially when you consider he was signing less kids than any other team. And, that's certainly not his fault.

Matt, I'm not so sure he was a bad recruiter. I think he was a very poor developer of talent.

A non-existent strength program and zero team discipline may equal a 7 loss season. I just don't think it was because of poor recruiting -- especially when you consider he was signing less kids than any other team. And, that's certainly not his fault.

Wait, wait, I thought he left this team with no talent?

So if you guys are standing by your "Shula recruits lights out" statements, combined with your false idol Saban, how could you not go undefeated and win a MNC this season?

State right now, on the record to be saved at a later date.

Did Shula recruit a good team for the 07 season, or was he a hack and the almighty Saban is stepping into a mess of a program?

Wait, wait, I thought he left this team with no talent?

So if you guys are standing by your "Shula recruits lights out" statements, combined with your false idol Saban, how could you not go undefeated and win a MNC this season?

State right now, on the record to be saved at a later date.

Did Shula recruit a good team for the 07 season, or was he a hack and the almighty Saban is stepping into a mess of a program?

Ehh, debateable.

I think the "lack of talent" that I've always talked about comes from a pisspoor effort in the weightroom. Yeah, I think we have some quality talent spread out over a few positions -- but not like the Florida's, Auburn's, and Georgia's of the world.

Look at this way. Compare our Zach Shreiber to your Tray Blackmon. Our Glen Coffee to your Brad Lester. Our Baron Huber to your Carl Stewart. Yes, I realize that these are just a few random positions, but the fact remains the same. Auburn, right now, has more developed talent than Alabama. I know that there is a Simeon Castille, a Andre Smith, a DJ Hall, a Keith Brown, etc on our team that would start for Auburn. But by in large, AU has more talent overall. The physical build of some of our guys don't stack up against the nation's better programs. Yet, everybody looked the same coming out of high school. Plus one to Yoxall and minus one to Shula and anyone associated with our S&C program.

I think Shula did a nice job of bringing in quality seeds. He just never planted them. Our players, who have to share some of the blame, have been known to have little work effort. I think that falls back on the coach. Many of them were highly touted recruits out of high school and have shown potential, but not results.

The jury's still out on 2007. We lost 5 games by 8 points or less and were competitive against every team we played, including the nation's two best teams. Also, our schedule was loaded with road games against the best teams in the conference. Now, they're all at home. With a much more intense weight program and a much better coach, and a few playaction passes in the redzone for a change, we could increase our win total by 2 or 3 games. I think it's totally conceiveable for Alabama to win 9-10 games this season. Do I think it will happen? Maybe. Am I planning to win the national championship? No way. Am I expecting a bad season? No. We'll improve, but I'm definitely not expecting an SEC or national title ring. I'd be pretty satisfied with a Cotton or Peach Bowl bid.

I don't understand the extremes. Why is it that if Shula did recruit OK...you guys think we AUTOMATICALLY expect a national title? You all need to stop watching ESPN.

I don't understand the extremes. Why is it that if Shula did recruit OK...you guys think we AUTOMATICALLY expect a national title? You all need to stop watching ESPN.

You never said OK. You're the one dealing in extremes. You said prior to Shula's firing that he recruited "lights out year in and year out". Those are your words. Then suddenly he was a recruiting flop leaving the cupboard bare for Saban. Which is it, BG?

And I'm saying, if according to you, Shula recruited "lights out year in and year out" for these last 4 years, and Saban is the golden God that you proclaim him to be, then Alabama should just effortlessly tap-dance its way into a MNC this year. Anything less should be a disappointment.

You never said OK. You're the one dealing in extremes. You said prior to Shula's firing that he recruited "lights out year in and year out". Those are your words. Then suddenly he was a recruiting flop leaving the cupboard bare for Saban. Which is it, BG?

And I'm saying, if according to you, Shula recruited "lights out year in and year out" for these last 4 years, and Saban is the golden God that you proclaim him to be, then Alabama should just effortlessly tap-dance its way into a MNC this year. Anything less should be a disappointment.

First, you are putting words in my mouth. I never said he recruited lights out year in and year out. As a matter of fact, I said in another thread "he never had a top 5 class or anything".

And I never proclaimed Saban to be a Golden God. Please stop taking the Auburn party line on Bama stereotypes. It makes you look a bit pedestrian.

Shula wasn't a recruiting flop. And the cupboard isn't bare. It's not loaded either. It's somewhere in the middle. We have a good bit of talent at the skill positions. And lack strength development on the front lines, both sides of the ball. Why is that so hard to understand? Why does it have to be either "Shula was the greatest recruiter in the world...and you expect a national title" or "shula sucked and you are making excuses for Saban".

It's neither. And bottom line, even if Shula had recrited a #1 class last year, that doesn't mean i EXPECT a national title. It's not a gurantee of future success. It's merely an unscientific guage.

I EXPECT to win 8 MAYBE 9 games this year. I EXPECT for us to improve from game 1 to game 12. I EXPECT for our guys to be able to play the game for 4 Quarters. Had we gotten the last two out of Shula, I would have been all for keeping him.

Luckily, if there's any spot where we can sustain an injury, its RB. We roll 5 deep with SEC caliber tailbacks.

Yeah he's a bad coach...he went 9-2 the FIRST year off probation. Good call. AU (and everybody else in the league) got a 5-6 year head start in recruiting...and the FIRST year we get to sign 25, we go 9-2.

Say what you want about Shula...but he's shown marked improvement EVERY year he's been there. Thats the sign of good coaching.

Based on recent history, Shula has proven to win more and improve every year. None of those, except Spurrier can say that. MAYBE meyer but the talent he had last year, he should have won more than he did. And he shouldnt have struggled against Vandy.

I dont get it...we got our second pick. Tebow went with Florida. But him even being close to picking bama is a pretty good testament to how good our staff is doing with recruiting.

You got your first pick, but he was also IN STATE and ranked only 3 spots ahead of our second pick.

You're kidding right? This is the ONLY guy committed that was like this. And for the last 3 years Shula has proven to find talented guys before the other big schools get in on them. I can name 10 easy who were nobodys to the scouts and rivals...and late in the year got these big time offers to go along with ours that had been there for a long time.

Im not using probation now. Im saying that when you are on probation you dont have good recruiting. Its a fact that isnt hard to prove.

Look at our recruiting heading into the trouble...look at it during the trouble...and look at it now.

How high is your class going to be ranked when you can only sign 17 guys?

We went 6-6 last year and still signed a top 20 class. Our second recruiting class after probation and we are pushing a top 10 class.

Seems to me the relationship is obvious.

Thats funny. Every year you guys say he wont be back after "next year"...and every year his record gets better. Now he's coming off of a 10 win season and a cotton bowl victory and you are predicting his demise again? Comical.

Can I stop now, or should I go on?

Luckily, if there's any spot where we can sustain an injury, its RB. We roll 5 deep with SEC caliber tailbacks.

Yeah he's a bad coach...he went 9-2 the FIRST year off probation. Good call. AU (and everybody else in the league) got a 5-6 year head start in recruiting...and the FIRST year we get to sign 25, we go 9-2.

Say what you want about Shula...but he's shown marked improvement EVERY year he's been there. Thats the sign of good coaching.

Based on recent history, Shula has proven to win more and improve every year. None of those, except Spurrier can say that. MAYBE meyer but the talent he had last year, he should have won more than he did. And he shouldnt have struggled against Vandy.

I dont get it...we got our second pick. Tebow went with Florida. But him even being close to picking bama is a pretty good testament to how good our staff is doing with recruiting.

You got your first pick, but he was also IN STATE and ranked only 3 spots ahead of our second pick.

You're kidding right? This is the ONLY guy committed that was like this. And for the last 3 years Shula has proven to find talented guys before the other big schools get in on them. I can name 10 easy who were nobodys to the scouts and rivals...and late in the year got these big time offers to go along with ours that had been there for a long time.

Im not using probation now. Im saying that when you are on probation you dont have good recruiting. Its a fact that isnt hard to prove.

Look at our recruiting heading into the trouble...look at it during the trouble...and look at it now.

We went 6-6 last year and still signed a top 20 class. Our second recruiting class after probation and we are pushing a top 10 class.

Thats funny. Every year you guys say he wont be back after "next year"...and every year his record gets better. Now he's coming off of a 10 win season and a cotton bowl victory and you are predicting his demise again? Comical.

RidinSpinnazEdit.gif

REALLY? Holy crap, that's the best you've got. Wow...just wow.

I'll provide a response later. I've been working today, but rest assured, I'll get back to it.

Wow...Didn't think you were this lame.

Oh bg, one of the few times I cringed when I saw you wrote that. :(

I'll provide a response later. I've been working today, but rest assured, I'll get back to it.

I've never seen an argument respun by the original spinner, this should be interesting.

Im telling you guys...write it down...deepest group of RBs and FBs COLLECTIVELY in the SEC.

It was obvious last year that our FB corps was well ahead of others...and McCLain and Castille both return.

Darby was the best RB in the SEC last year considering the line he had to run behind. And we return Coffee who played well last year...and Jimmy Johns who tore it up when he got in the games. NOBODY wants to tackle him in practice and he's had an awesome spring.

Thats not me being a bama homer. Thats based on last year and everyone coming back healthy.

To say RB alone is laughable makes no sense considering what our RBs did last season. Ken Darby if not the best in the SEC is a close second. And Jimmy Johns brings something to the table that no other RB in the SEC has shown. And where you have Tate, we have Roy Upchurch who had a great spring.

Im telling you guys...write it down...deepest group of RBs and FBs COLLECTIVELY in the SEC.

It was obvious last year that our FB corps was well ahead of others...and McCLain and Castille both return.

Darby was the best RB in the SEC last year considering the line he had to run behind. And we return Coffee who played well last year...and Jimmy Johns who tore it up when he got in the games. NOBODY wants to tackle him in practice and he's had an awesome spring.

Thats not me being a bama homer. Thats based on last year and everyone coming back healthy.

To say RB alone is laughable makes no sense considering what our RBs did last season. Ken Darby if not the best in the SEC is a close second. And Jimmy Johns brings something to the table that no other RB in the SEC has shown. And where you have Tate, we have Roy Upchurch who had a great spring.

What does Jimmy Johns bring to the table at running back, now that he has switched to defense.

Well this one is too easy. You guys give me a hard time about the 5 deep comment, but it still stands. AT THE TIME Darby was considered top 2 in the SEC. He had a horrible Oline and still managed to be second (by a few yards) in rushing in the SEC. So at the time, expecting Darby to be an SEC caliber tailback, is a solid assumption. He was coming off of back to back 1000+ yard seasons.

Darby and McClain both got drafted. And both are expected to make the team. McClain expected to start. Castille is in Arizona's camp right now. Too early to tell with him. To say Castille WASN'T an SEC quality back is a freaking joke.

Also, at the time, Jimmy Johns was coming off of a 5 yard per carry freshman campaign. Throw in two others Terry Grant (mr football in mississippi), and Roy Upchurch (parade All American) who both had season ending injuries...the 5 deep comment is valid. Darby, McClain, Castille, Grant, Upchurch. And add in Johns and Coffee (who also suffered season ending injury)...and we COULD sustain injuries at the position...the problem was that our offensive line was terrible, Darby missed half of summer camp with an injury and the death of his father, and our offensive schemes were poor.

Giving this context, this was BEFORE the 06 season. Was it a lie that we showed improvement every year under Shula up to that point? 4-9, 6-6, 10-2...I think the math speaks for itself.

Again: 4-9, 6-6, 10-2

I don't understand quoting me on this. We did get our second pick. And McElroy looked pretty good this spring.

DJ Hall

Keith Brown

Clarence Ward

Recardo Wright

Chris Rogers

Michael Ricks

Antonio Forbes

Robert Marve

Marcus Udell

David Brown

What did I say in that comment that isn't true?

Yeah, everybody saw it coming. Hindsight is 20/20. You guys will predict Alabama's demise every year...because you are Auburn fans. Hell you guys don't think we will win more than 6 this year. Does that mean I get to come rub it in your face when we win 8-9 this season?

What does Jimmy Johns bring to the table at running back, now that he has switched to defense.

He hasn't switched to defense.

Not yet, anyway.

BG this is where we dont get it. As you said, CMS was improving every year. He was "recruiting lights out" as you told me in an IM a while back. Now the season records are improving, recruiting is going forward, all looks well. Then, CMS has one rough schedule and one not so great year and he is gone. Just like Dubose. Almost like Fran, and much like Curry. All four Bama coaches had 10 win seasons and then left or were run off. Doesnt this seem funny to anyone but me?

Seems to me that a 10 win season is the last thing a Bama HC would want. The next time he doesnt win 10, "Throw the bum out."

No one is going to average winning 10 games a season. Bear didnt even do that.

BG this is where we dont get it. As you said, CMS was improving every year. He was "recruiting lights out" as you told me in an IM a while back. Now the season records are improving, recruiting is going forward, all looks well. Then, CMS has one rough schedule and one not so great year and he is gone. Just like Dubose. Almost like Fran, and much like Curry. All four Bama coaches had 10 win seasons and then left or were run off. Doesnt this seem funny to anyone but me?

Seems to me that a 10 win season is the last thing a Bama HC would want. The next time he doesnt win 10, "Throw the bum out."

No one is going to average winning 10 games a season. Bear didnt even do that.

I'm not saying he was a great coach. I'm simply trying to provide context to my quotes, instead of you guys using hindsight AGAINST me. At the time, when I made the quotes, it was true. I said our record improved every year...and Chizad pulled the quote to try and make fun of me about it. But it was true. We improved our record every year.

He got fired, because that improvement wasn't because of good coaching. It was because the breaks we didnt get in the early years, we got in 05. He got fired because he lost complete control and respect of his players. He got fired because he couldn't beat Auburn, LSU, Arkansas, Tennessee...except for a couple of ugly wins. But most of all, he got fired because his teams got WORSE as seasons went on. Especially in 06.

You KNOW he needed to be fired. You are just repeating the ESPN party line because you think it makes alabama look bad. You think it makes us look like we are impatient. Or have unrealistic expectations. But I don't think there's an AU fan on the planet who really thinks he should have been retained. Many WANTED him retained, and I think that's a dead giveaway that it was time for him to be shown the door.

And for the record, Fran was not run off. We did everything we could to keep him. And Curry was not a winner. You know it. I know it. Dubose had the same problem Shula did. He was a friend to the players, didnt discipline them, and the weightroom was OPTIONAL. If you HONESTLY think we should have kept Shula or Dubose, you are lying to yourself. The only coach that MAYBE should have been given another chance was curry. But if we are going to use hindsight, lets look at where he's coaching today...oh that's right.

Archived