From the Auburn newspaper

BAMMERPERRY

http://www.oanow.com/servlet/Satellite?pag...ews%21localnews

Amy Weaver / Staff Writer

May 13, 2007

Almost a year after a grading controversy was discovered, turmoil still plagues the department of sociology, anthropology, social work, criminology and criminal justice at Auburn University.

Administrators says strides have been made in a year, and they continue to investigate options to redeem the department.

Professors in the department think otherwise. A sinking ship can’t be saved, they say.

It all started last summer when Dr. Tom Petee was accused of issuing high grades to students in directed reading courses for little or no work. Petee, a tenured professor of criminology, stepped down as department head in August after an internal investigation found that he and adult education professor James Witte exercised poor judgment when it came to grades earned in those courses. Witte also stepped down as program chair of adult education. The university report claimed mistakes were made by both men due to lack of sufficient oversight and poor record-keeping.

Petee kept teaching until the fall semester ended, but then was suspended after a complaint was lodged alleging that in 2003 a student-athlete’s grade was changed from an "incomplete" to an "A" without the knowledge of sociology professor Paul Starr, the professor listed next to the grade. Starr said he had no knowledge of the student. Dr. Paula Bobrowski has been serving as acting chair of the department.

Petee has been participating in the university’s dismissal procedures since January. Per university policy, Auburn officials will not discuss personnel matters. Petee’s attorney Davis Whittelsey had no comment on the matter at this time.

AU Provost John Heilman appeared before department members April 11 with Associate Provost Sharon Gaber, College of Liberal Arts Dean Anna Gramberg and Associate Dean Constance Relihan. He would not disclose specific content, but said it was an opportunity "to talk with faculty about working with each other and working with the dean’s and provost’s offices on improving the department." Two professors say the interaction was brief and left them feeling uneasy. Other professors contacted by the Opelika-Auburn News declined the opportunity to talk over fear of retribution.

Sociology Professor James Gundlach, who blew the whistle on Petee, said Heilman came into the room, read a statement and left. There was no opportunity for response. Gundlach said it said was "one of the most juvenile things I’ve seen an upper level administrator do in a long time." By chastising the faculty for not working together or with administration to solve problems with department heads, directed reading courses and budget problems, he said Heilman was "out of touch" with what is really going on in the department.

"We all sat there stunned," said Mark Konty, an assistant professor of criminology and criminal justice. He got the feeling Heilman was trying to convince them to shut up and stop complaining. Heilman didn’t actually say those words, "but everybody in that room took it that way," Konty said. "Everybody in that room was scared and intimidated."

Heilman declined the opportunity to present his side.

Consequences

Konty has only been at Auburn for two years and does not have tenure. He was willing to speak to the newspaper because he thought his job in jeopardy anyway.

"I don’t want to be at place that would fire me for doing what I think is right," he said.

Konty received a letter of non-continuation Thursday. His employment is terminated effective May 15, 2008.

Based on Heilman’s statement, Konty said there are changes coming, like reassigning faculty to teach more undergraduate courses, which means no recruiting for next year’s graduate program. Also, the travel funds promised by Petee are no longer there. They were told a "bunch" of summer classes will be canceled, according to Konty, because there aren’t enough people to teach based on a formula administrators use to determine its economically feasible.

"Students who need to graduate this summer may not be able to," he said. "Students who need to graduate this fall may not be able to."

"Nobody thinks we shouldn’t teach these classes, but we want our graduates to graduate," he added.

Konty said he knows undergrad and graduate students who are worried about this coming year and may look into other disciplines or even other colleges in order to graduate. Heilman declined the opportunity to address these concerns.

In an April 5 letter from Gramberg to Heilman, she states she is "considering structural and curricular changes to the department" and requests for an "immediate moratorium" on the sociology and criminology majors. Heilman hasn’t acted on her suggestion, but is reviewing it along with recommendations from other sources.

Inherent problems

Even though Petee has been gone from the office for several months, Gundlach says nothing has been done to fix the problems that led to this fallout. The department is still comprised of four disciplines, creating a hierarchy and an unequal distribution of funds. Gundlach says criminology was and still is the top dog. Petee is a criminology professor.

Heilman disagrees. Not only has Auburn implemented new campus-wide policies in the wake of the grading issue, but he said the in-depth review provided through the new Academic Program Review process would provide a basis for what steps should be implemented next.

Konty and Gundlach said Heilman encouraged cooperation between the disciplines, but every time they have worked together, both professors say they were stymied by the administration. With APR, for instance, Konty said each discipline was "forced" to work separately for a portion of it, but then were berated on April 11 for not working together. The new review system was piloted this year as a means of determining the quality and relevance of all AU programs.

"Every time we’ve worked together on something we think is important, they say no," Konty said.

Heilman says the April 11 meeting had nothing to do with APR.

"There’s a lot of people here who hate coming to work right now," Konty added.

Under review

APR was tested this school year in four departments, one being sociology, anthropology, social work, criminology and criminal justice. Each program underwent a self-study, site visit and an external review.

Heilman said the department took part in the pilot because he and Gramberg wanted a comprehensive review "to help the university better understand its strengths and needs." He admitted the controversy with Petee, as related to directed reading courses and grade changes, was a factor in the decision, but not the only one. They also found it necessary because the department is comprised of four distinct disciplines and has had much interim leadership in recent years.

The external review team agreed the multi-disciplinary department might not be the best idea. The department is "badly in need of additional resources," but until the university has a better hand on its weaknesses and strengths, they say it’s too early to decide whether "to invest substantial additional resources or to make major structural changes."

They recommended a complete review of departmental policies and procedures to be completed by May 15, a strategic plan to be finalized by Dec. 15, a review and revision of the department’s undergraduate curricula by May 15, 2008 and a review of the department’s overall progress by Feb. 1, 2010.

The administration has yet to decide whether to follow such recommendations, but the provost’s office is working on how to implement them.

Gundlach, who is retiring this year, doesn’t think he’ll be around to see any changes that will make the department what it once was. Although Konty is appealing his termination, he knows he won’t be around for it either.

aweaver@oanow.com | 737-2534

AND, from the same days newspaper.........

Amy Weaver / Staff Writer

May 13, 2007

The same day Auburn University students received their degrees, Mark Konty received a certified letter terminating his employment.

Konty, an assistant professor of criminology and criminal justice, has only been at AU for two years and does not have tenure. The letter says his employment with the university will officially end May 15, 2008. The extra time is given to dismissed faculty so they have time to find another job, he said.

"This is the same as being fired in our business," he said.

Konty said he saw the proverbial "writing on the wall" in December so he started pursuing other options. He wasn’t completely surprised to receive the letter, but he has another job lined up. He is prepared to teach classes this summer and has already started the appeal process, including notifying the Faculty Senate, provost, dean of the College of Liberal Arts and the chair of the sociology, anthropology, social work, criminology and criminal justice departments.

"I’m going to fight this so it doesn’t happen to the next person," he said.

According to university policy, officials consider personnel matters confidential.

Konty believes the basis for his termination is rooted in his third-year review. In an advisory vote on whether he was working toward tenure, five faculty voted no and four voted yes.

"This vote isn’t supposed to mean anything," he stressed. "It’s supposed to give me an idea of what people are thinking of me."

Konty is a junior faculty member, but he feels he has exceeded expectations for this position. He has received favorable reviews from students, has been published twice in two years and has taken a leadership position, director of graduate studies, "when no one else wanted it."

"I am making fantastic progress toward tenure, and I want an external review," he said.

When Konty came to Auburn from Washington State University, he thought AU was a good place to be and work. But in a short time, he started to see that something wasn’t right. Once he was in a leadership position and the grading scandal involving his colleague and then department head, Dr. Tom Petee, broke, "I saw all the ugly."

Petee is currently in the university’s dismissal procedures after an internal investigation found that he and another professor exercised poor judgment when it came to grades earned in directed reading courses. Petee was suspended from teaching after the fall semester after a complaint was lodged alleging that in 2003 a student-athlete’s grade was changed from an "incomplete" to an "A" without the knowledge of sociology professor Paul Starr, the professor listed next to the grade. Starr said he had no knowledge of the student.

With the retirement of sociology professor Dr. James Gundlach and the firing of Konty, the department could lose three full-time professors if AU decides to let Petee go.

aweaver@oanow.com | 737-2534

http://www.oanow.com/servlet/Satellite?pag...ews%21localnews

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I'm sitting here on tis lovely Monday afternoon wondering whether i should order a pizza or chinese for dinner.

So, I'm sitting here on tis lovely Monday afternoon wondering whether i should order a pizza or chinese for dinner.

What's that poooooooooor Professor going to eat? :roflol:

What's that poooooooooor Professor going to eat? :roflol:

Probably the food you will serve him at McDonalds.

go with ham and pineapple (Hawaiian) pizza. That's what i just ordered.

Pizza. For sure. :thumbsup:

I'm grilling out.

Pork chops, some summer sausages, skewers with onion, peppers, pickles, potatoes and chicken, ears of corn, and some bread. Got beans baking too. And hot dogs for my seven year old who won't eat any of the rest of that.

ButtPlug, what are you doing reading the Auburn newspaper? Hell would freeze over before I read the Tuscaloosa Times (or whatever it is).

Mexican for me! I think my salsa level is low...

Pork tenderloin medallions in a fresh mushroom gravy over brown rice. Sides of creamed corn and field peas and texas toast. Pinot Gregio to complete it. Plus if it sucks I'll just get drunk.

I'm grilling out.

Pork chops, some summer sausages, skewers with onion, peppers, pickles, potatoes and chicken, ears of corn, and some bread. Got beans baking too. And hot dogs for my seven year old who won't eat any of the rest of that.

Actually I grilled tonight also. :P A center-cut thick pork chop, a baked potato and a roll. mmm Nothing like grilling. :)

Chicken stirfry with a ginger sesame sauce served over brown rice.

Was there synchonicity tonight? I grilled pork chops too. Plus asparagus, cheese grits, and apple sauce. And a nice white burgundy. I had two glasses to buoy me through the Cub Scout pack meeting.

I had two left over hot dogs from the mother's day grill out yesterday and some baked beans. Juicy.

Scrambled bream, fresh-caught from my pond. Cheese grits, cornbread and sweet tea. Little chopped lettuce on the side, just to keep the missus happy.

Scrambled bream, fresh-caught from my pond. Cheese grits, cornbread and sweet tea. Little chopped lettuce on the side, just to keep the missus happy.

"Scrambled bream"??? What is you boy, some kinda' sicko'? :big:

Deep, deep, deeeeeeeeep fried in grease (After the fries and puppies for optimum flavoring) is the only way to eat bream.

microwave pizza, sun chips, and chewy chips-ahoy. you people sure make me wish i had a grill and some money. :(

microwave pizza, sun chips, and chewy chips-ahoy. you people sure make me wish i had a grill and some money. :(

Student!!! :lol:

eeeeeyup. about to be a fifth year.

You guys make me so proud!

Supper for me was chicken with red sauce, new potatos, corn, and a dinner roll. Washed that down with a glass of sweet tea, and had a bowl of fresh strawberries for dessert.

I had some Planters Dry Roasted Peanuts and a few Diet Millers. Before you ask, yes, the wife was out of town.

"Scrambled bream"??? What is you boy, some kinda' sicko'? :big:

Deep, deep, deeeeeeeeep fried in grease (After the fries and puppies for optimum flavoring) is the only way to eat bream.

Nah! Deep fried is good, scrambled is good, cooked impaled on a stick over an open fire is good and bream on the barbie is good. Eatin' bream is like beatin' Bammer. There's no bad, only good and better!

Archived