Barnes said his son told Saban...

kingfish

And Shula didn't make players lift weights.

Please stop saying this.

It's ridiculous. And it flies in the face of everything that was being said up to the day he got fired.

You're better than that.

How can it be ridiculous if it's true?

Workouts were completely voluntary under Shula. I've had a player, who played for Fran and Shula, testify to the 180 in intensity the day Shula came onto the scene.

I can tell you that "some" Tide fans called us liars when we were asking about confirmation about this just last season.

Well, they were wrong.

That's not surprising, the Barnes family was very close to Shula. What I want to know about is what's going on with your NCAA compliance guy? I read that article in the B'ham News yesterday and it sounds like he'll be the first casualty of the Sabahr regime.

Link

Here's another take on this.

Sports Buzz

Monday, June 18, 2007

THE HOT CORNER

Cause for concern?:

If I were a fan of a college football program that not so long ago stared down the barrel of the NCAA's gun, I'd be concerned.

When Alabama quarterback John Parker Wilson wasn't allowed to participate in a Birmingham-Southern football camp, conventional wisdom was that UA's compliance office was simply being cautious with regard to an NCAA rule that limits the number of college players that can work at a high school camp.

It didn't take a lawyer - because I'm not one - to read the rule a couple of times and see that Alabama misunderstood the rule. You think the compliance office could have called the NCAA to check the ruling?

And when Nick Saban is accused of committing secondary violations in making contact with recruits in Florida, he didn't categorically deny the contact. When asked if the reports were inaccurate, Saban responded: "I think it's funny it came from Miami."

A compliance office that can't comprehend the rules; a coach who may be playing loose and fast when recruiting.

These are relatively insignificant things. Are bigger ones to follow?

David Knox --

AL.COM

That's not surprising, the Barnes family was very close to Shula. What I want to know about is what's going on with your NCAA compliance guy? I read that article in the B'ham News yesterday and it sounds like he'll be the first casualty of the Sabahr regime.

Link

Sports Buzz

Monday, June 18, 2007

THE HOT CORNER

Cause for concern?:

If I were a fan of a college football program that not so long ago stared down the barrel of the NCAA's gun, I'd be concerned.

When Alabama quarterback John Parker Wilson wasn't allowed to participate in a Birmingham-Southern football camp, conventional wisdom was that UA's compliance office was simply being cautious with regard to an NCAA rule that limits the number of college players that can work at a high school camp.

It didn't take a lawyer - because I'm not one - to read the rule a couple of times and see that Alabama misunderstood the rule. You think the compliance office could have called the NCAA to check the ruling?

And when Nick Saban is accused of committing secondary violations in making contact with recruits in Florida, he didn't categorically deny the contact. When asked if the reports were inaccurate, Saban responded: "I think it's funny it came from Miami."

A compliance office that can't comprehend the rules; a coach who may be playing loose and fast when recruiting.

David Knox --

AL.COM

i guess this is our "you'll read it in the news in a few days...bama is in big trouble" post for the week.

Please stop saying this.

It's ridiculous. And it flies in the face of everything that was being said up to the day he got fired.

You're better than that.

No it doesn't. I've been saying it for over a year.

No offense BG, I told you this almost two years ago in a pm and was called a liar.

Please stop saying this.

You're better than that.

No it doesn't. I've been saying it for over a year.

No offense BG, I told you this almost two years ago in a pm and was called a liar.

I am offended. Because A) I've never called you a liar. Even in the PMs where you've sent me information that didn't add up with what I had heard. And B ) I've been saying it for a looong time.

Link

Sports Buzz

Monday, June 18, 2007

THE HOT CORNER

Cause for concern?:

David Knox --

AL.COM

i guess this is our "you'll read it in the news in a few days...bama is in big trouble" post for the week.

RWS - Just like David's argument with BG. We'll be able to tell you I told you so soon enough.

BG - You did refuse to believe as early as the start of last season, that Shula was running a top notch program with no bubbles no troubles. But I will give you credit for knowing the Shula ship was sinking a lot quicker than most.

Archived