Barnes Article

WAR-MATT

Barnes

Alabama QB transfers to Weber

By Jared Eborn

Deseret Morning News

One look at the Weber State football roster is all it takes to know the Wildcats do not have much experience or depth at quarterback.

That changed considerably over the weekend when Jimmy Barnes arrived in Ogden.

Barnes, a 6-5, 240-pound sophomore, officially transferred from powerhouse Alabama to Weber State, where he will have three years of eligibility and be set to play on Aug. 30 when the Wildcats open the season at Boise State.

"I'm very excited," Barnes said from his new apartment in Ogden. "Football is football. So there's not too much that's going to change with me. Every different situation will let you play football and you just have to make the best of it."

After announcing his intentions to leave Alabama a few weeks ago, the former Los Alamitos, Calif., star shopped himself around and finally settled on Weber State knowing the Big Sky plays at a high level in I-AA and that he'd have an excellent chance to earn the starting job.

"All the major schools in the country were after him. Not only does he have a strong arm, but he is a student of the game and makes intelligent decisions in the heat of battle," Weber State coach Ron McBride said. "His father was his high school coach and is one of the most respected coaches in California ... I have full confidence he will learn our system quickly and be ready to compete in fall camp."

Barnes, who arrived at WSU last Friday, has been busy making himself familiar with the Wildcat playbook. He's had daily workout sessions with teammates and thrown hundreds of balls to Weber State receivers already.

When camp opens in a few weeks, though, he will be trying to beat out sophomore Brad Leggatt, redshirt freshman Cameron Higgins and JC transfer Brendon Doyle for the starting position.

The only returning WSU player with an actual passing attempt, though, is offensive lineman David Hale who threw one incompletion on a trick play last year.

In typical quarterback fashion, Barnes said he plans on starting.

"It doesn't matter where I'm at," he said. "I expect to be the starter. But I also expect the other guys to think the exact same way, and we're going to have some competition."

Barnes completed his high school career by throwing for 2,615 yards and 37 touchdowns with 10 interceptions as a senior. He then played in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, completing 7-13 passes for 117 yards as the West beat the East 35-3.

His career statistics consist of more than 4,800 yards passing, 57 touchdowns and just 20 interceptions.

Alabama's coach at the time, Mike Shula, brought him to Tuscaloosa, where he redshirted as a freshman. He played sparingly as a backup last season but was a factor in a pair of wins — throwing for 45 yards and a touchdown against Florida International, and then he saw a few snaps against Louisiana-Monroe.

Shula, though, was fired after the season and Nick Saban left the Miami Dolphins to take over the Crimson Tide. Barnes felt he and Saban weren't a good fit and decided to leave the school.

"It was mostly his style," Barnes said. "There was also a lot of politics involved, but that's all water under the bridge now. I'm excited to be at Weber State." Barnes described himself as someone who can "throw it all over the field" and said that Weber State fans should have high expectations.

"They can expect winning," he said. "There's talent up here. Hopefully, I can come out here and win a bunch of games."

I don't see the point of the article or the bolding.

That was his only comment about your program BG and I thought I would highlight it for those who didn't want to read the whole of the article. Are we a bit sensitive or what?

I don't see the point of the article or the bolding.

:rolleyes:

It's not a major dig on your coach and university, but even Helen Keller would have "seen the point" here.

...moving on.....

B)

There were several articles written about his dad's comments on how CNS treats players. It doesn't say much but it is at least somewhat newsworthy to see what a quarterback who left a team after the most highly publicized signing of a new coach has to say about his former team and coach.

You guys know me, so when I say..

1) Sour grapes. Jimmy Barnes was one of those recruiting wunderkinds the gurus love and coaches mostly ignore. He has been a bust so far. Overweight and undertalented.

2) Every coaching change will cost you some players.

3) Barnes was not a loss at all to the Tide.

4) I dont even recall Barnes name being high on the Bama list until the Army AA Game. BG, this is defintely one fo those overblown "Rivals kids."

Recall the kid who got his Dad to criticize Lebo last year? At least JB tried to show some class and say it was just old news.

He was only a 3 star on rivals.

And yeah, this is no big deal. His dad praised Alabama and Saban in the first article on rivals. Then threw out some sour grapes stuff.

Barnes had his chances, but stayed out of shape at Bama. Him leaving had nothing to do with Saban, and everything to do with the fact that he was 4th on the depth chart.

Guest Tigrinum Major

he was 4th on the depth chart.

4th? Andre' Smith would have taken a snap before this tub of goo.

You're probably right.

Does that mean ya'll were only rollin four deep at QB?

You're probably right.

SEC quality? Heck no. Right now we have JPW and Greg McElroy. The kid coming in, Fanuzzi, would have been ahead of Barnes on the chart too. But in no way would he be considered ready

If I may...

I am not one who believes that the average fan should criticize players too much. Calling out a college student for not performing up to fan standards is a bit wimpy considering that 99% of those who gripe about players would actually get beaten to a pulp by them in person.

Anyhoo, Barnes may have been a little overrated as a HS prospect, but he performed well in HS and all-star games. He was a big boy too. Even then, I was amazed at his speed being considered for SEC play. He ran a 5.31 in HS. Most SEC O-linemen are faster than that.

In his defense, he did get mono during his redshirt year and had a hard time getting over it. He never really had a chance at beating out Wilson, and McElroy pretty much cemented his bench status. Let him fun at Weber. At least he will get to play.

I can comment on Barnes. I have a better arm.

Besides, if I was ever scared of him, I'm fairly certain I could outrun him.

You're probably right.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::poke:B)

TOO too FUNNY ! ! !

If I may...

I am not one who believes that the average fan should criticize players too much. Calling out a college student for not performing up to fan standards is a bit wimpy considering that 99% of those who gripe about players would actually get beaten to a pulp by them in person.

Anyhoo, Barnes may have been a little overrated as a HS prospect, but he performed well in HS and all-star games. He was a big boy too. Even then, I was amazed at his speed being considered for SEC play. He ran a 5.31 in HS. Most SEC O-linemen are faster than that.

In his defense, he did get mono during his redshirt year and had a hard time getting over it. He never really had a chance at beating out Wilson, and McElroy pretty much cemented his bench status. Let him fun at Weber. At least he will get to play.

If I may...

Please, spare me the "you can't criticize someone who is bigger than you" crap. I know that even the worst player at Weber St is better than me at football. However, as a spectator and fan, I can develop justifiable analyses about any player. If Auburn lost a game because Quentin Groves was loafing, you better believe I'd bring out the scrutiny. If Alabama has a player who whined his way out of town with his Daddy backing him up, you better believe I'm going to do some research and find out if the player has any room to whine about anything. Barnes has no room to whine. If Barnes's true potential could have been known beforehand, Bama wouldn't have signed him. Therefore, let the criticism continue.

If I may...

If I may...

Please, spare me the "you can't criticize someone who is bigger than you" crap. I know that even the worst player at Weber St is better than me at football. However, as a spectator and fan, I can develop justifiable analyses about any player. If Auburn lost a game because Quentin Groves was loafing, you better believe I'd bring out the scrutiny. If Alabama has a player who whined his way out of town with his Daddy backing him up, you better believe I'm going to do some research and find out if the player has any room to whine about anything. Barnes has no room to whine. If Barnes's true potential could have been known beforehand, Bama wouldn't have signed him. Therefore, let the criticism continue.

I agree with the Possum, but when the Barnes' started whining, I think you can take the gloves off. Sour grapes, nothing more.

You're probably right.

SEC quality? Heck no. Right now we have JPW and Greg McElroy. The kid coming in, Fanuzzi, would have been ahead of Barnes on the chart too. But in no way would he be considered ready

totally agree.

BG- I still can't believe you got all upset over me posting this. When he left and his dad had his whine fest, I think I said it was nothing more than sour grapes and the best he could of hoped for was 3rd string next year. Do you need a hug BG? I'm sure BammerPerry would be more than willing. B)

totally agree.

BG- I still can't believe you got all upset over me posting this. When he left and his dad had his whine fest, I think I said it was nothing more than sour grapes and the best he could of hoped for was 3rd string next year. Do you need a hug BG? I'm sure BammerPerry would be more than willing.

I took it as you trying to take jabs at Alabama for not "treating him right"

Archived