UAT self-reports 3 secondary violations

SupperClub

Your cheatin' heart

Crimson Tide self-reports three football violations

Friday, July 06, 2007

IAN R. RAPOPORT

News staff writer

TUSCALOOSA - The University of Alabama has self-reported three secondary violations committed by its football program since Oct. 16, 2006, according to documents obtained by The Birmingham News.

Two of the violations occurred after Nick Saban was announced as the Crimson Tide's coach on Jan. 4, though one of those happened "unbeknownst to (Saban and his) staff," documents say. Two of the violations involved a representative of athletics interest (booster) having an impermissible contact with a recruit.

The information was obtained by The News following a request made through the state's open records law. Additional information, such as names of those involved, was not available in the summary of reported violations committed from Oct. 16, 2006, through July 2, 2007.

"Secondary violations occur in all sports," said Chris King, UA associate athletics director for compliance. "The NCAA manual is so thick, they're going to happen. These violations were all isolated and inadvertent. It shows that our compliance system is working."

King said he and the coaching staff are working together to minimize such instances.

On Dec. 7, 2006, UA reported a booster had an impermissible contact with a prospective student-athlete during a game in a skybox area. This violated a bylaw that states, among other things, that such meetings cannot include more than a greeting. At the time of the episode, Mike Shula was still UA's coach.

In the Jan. 26, 2007, violation, an Alabama graduate assistant provided round-trip transportation for a recruit's mother and a family friend for a recruit's official visit to campus. NCAA rules state that a school cannot transport friends, relatives, or legal guardians for an official visit.

In the violation reported on Feb. 7, 2007, a booster had an in-person contact with a prospect at his high school. The booster, who provided the recruit with a book on the history of Alabama football, was sent a letter of reprimand.

The football staff "had no involvement" in the violation, according to a note attached.

Alabama athletics spokesman Doug Walker had said the school would soon send a report to the Southeastern Conference regarding allegations that Saban had improper contacts with three Miami-based prospects. The report has not yet been made available.

During the same time period last season, the football team committed two secondary violations.

Additionally, the baseball team; men's track and field team; women's track and field team; women's tennis team; and swimming and diving team committed one violation each.

Discuss.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the Jan. 26, 2007, violation, an Alabama graduate assistant provided round-trip transportation for a recruit's mother and a family friend for a recruit's official visit to campus. NCAA rules state that a school cannot transport friends, relatives, or legal guardians for an official visit.

Wasn't this the Louisiana kid they signed away from :lsu: this spring? Or am I thinking of another Tide recruiting faux pas.

Wasn't this the Louisiana kid they signed away from :lsu: this spring? Or am I thinking of another Tide recruiting faux pas.

Nope, this would be Brandon Gibson's private flight up to the Crapstone when he was a serious AU lean.

If you Bammers don't think there is more to follow, you’re sadly mistaken.

That violation doesn't seem 'secondary' to me. First, what is a grad assistant involved in recruiting, and how does a grad assistant have the cash to pay for a trip like that? It looks to me like he was following orders. JMO.

That violation doesn't seem 'secondary' to me. First, what is a grad assistant involved in recruiting, and how does a grad assistant have the cash to pay for a trip like that? It looks to me like he was following orders. JMO.

Could it have been sponsored by your local REC?

And the beat goes on....

I just got assured by numerous UAT fans that none of this was true. I am now told that, of course, "Everybody else does it...."

SSDD...

Update: just got told that the problem really isnt the book, it was what was "in" ;) the book....

Update II: Look at the timeline. All three of these could end up happening before 2-1-07, the day Bama came off of probation...

Nope, this would be Brandon Gibson's private flight up to the Crapstone when he was a serious AU lean.

So you are saying "Tip of the Iceberg?"

Just to save BG some typing: "These are only secondary violations. Everybody makes mistakes and self-reports some time. There won't be any penalties." --Which I actually agree with, BUT...

What's up with the foot dragging? I mean, they still haven't reported Saban's contact with Miami area players:

Alabama athletics spokesman Doug Walker had said the school would soon send a report to the Southeastern Conference regarding allegations that Saban had improper contacts with three Miami-based prospects.
Saban's Miami adventures were in the press weeks ago. Why is it taking UAT so long to file the report? Seems like it should just be a matter of 1) get Nick's version of events (allow 48 hrs after the story hit the press), 2) write it up (another 2 days, max), 3) run the final draft by a few appropriate UAT officials (AD, Prez, who else? ...say 2 days each X perhaps 3 campus offices = 6 days), 4) make revisions as requested by these officials and drop it in the mail (a couple more days). They should have been able to submit this report within two weeks of the news stories, but they still haven't gotten around to it? :blink: When someone (NCAA) has had you "staring down the barrel of a gun", seems like you'd want to be johnny-on-the-spot to keep them happy, not giving the appearance of "we'll get around to it whenever we feel like it."

Takes longer than that to hide all the bodies and kill off the folks who know where they are hidden.

Crickets so far from the resident bammers...

Especially RWS. He would not listen when we try to tell him infractions were on the way. Then he would post snide little comments mocking it.

Another thing I find funny, the Memphis mess was also labeled minor infractions when it started.

When the Memphis deal kept getting worse by the day, our local sports talk guy was doing some funny stuff. Every time he'd start to announce there was MORE news coming out of Memphis, he would play an "Incoming" sound effect of a rocket coming in.

"And today, there's more bad news coming out of Memphis.......INCOMING...AAAAAHHHHHH" :roflol:

To be honest, unless there are actual accusations somewhere, whats the point of postulating that there was more to the violations than what was reported.

As an Auburn fan I just honestly don't care what they did or are doing. If actual hard evidence comes out of some wrong doing then its something to talk about.

Until then just sit back and watch the Bama sideshow and enjoy.

Dude, Brandon Gibson was NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER an AU lean. You are SADLY mistaken if you think that he was. Not even close.

Secondly, these ARE secondary violations. If you want to make something more out of them, fine. But running into a player at his school is a lot different than a 20 minute SCHEDULED meeting with a recruit during a dead period (butch davis).

None of these violations will result in probation. So what does it matter?

If you want to suggest that we are a bunch of blatant cheaters based on these paltry violations...then you are on drugs. If you think that things like this don't go on EVERYWHERE, then you are on good drugs.

You guys just wet yourselves over a bunch of crap that 50% of the schools will do this year.

Kind of like two of your players having 7 grades changed isn't a big deal...but POTENTIALLY one of our players having an 89.5 rounded up to an A (which I thought happened anyway)...is the story of the century.

Oh and, yeah, Auburn is about to get hit with a bunch of stuff too. See that? I can do that too.

To be honest, unless there are actual accusations somewhere, whats the point of postulating that there was more to the violations than what was reported.

As an Auburn fan I just honestly don't care what they did or are doing. If actual hard evidence comes out of some wrong doing then its something to talk about.

Until then just sit back and watch the Bama sideshow and enjoy.

Well you are right about one thing....

Point and laugh is always good advice.

Just got online...Hence the no response.

While I have no doubt that this will amount to nothing in the long run, I personally have no knowledge (As do the rest of the posters on this board) as to what occurred.

If there are serious violations, which these are not reported as, then I am sure the NCAA will gladly do something about them. Secondary violations are indeed reported quite often by almost all programs. South Carolina reported theirs last week.

As these are secondary violations, the fact that two might have happened before Feb. is irrelevant to the probation period.

To the folks here who wish for bad things to happen to Alabama, grow up.

No fan should want probation or injuries to happen to another team regardles of how much you like or dislike them. You get to watch football and cheer, it is the athletes who pay the consequences for others mistakes.

I don't wish bad things on uat just their inbred fans and unfortunately it's hard to separate the two.

I live in Tallapoosa County, would you like me to bring you some pictures of inbred Auburn fans?

Don't act like they don't exist. Maybe I should take my digital camera to the Alexander City Wal-Mart on any given Saturday. The 295 pound woman with tattoos and bad hygeine who waited on me at the convenience store yesterday was wearing a pair of Auburn warm-up pants...Size XXXXL.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I don't wish bad things on uat just their inbred fans and unfortunately it's hard to separate the two.

I live in Tallapoosa County, would you like me to bring you some pictures of inbred Auburn fans?

Don't act like they don't exist. Maybe I should take my digital camera to the Alexander City Wal-Mart on any given Saturday. The 295 pound woman with tattoos and bad hygeine who waited on me at the convenience store yesterday was wearing a pair of Auburn warm-up pants...Size XXXXL.

Don't act all uppity talking about Alex City. You know you're from Daviston, boy.

Archived