What's Your Real Take?

AUesquire

so we thought bama's ceiling was 9-4 including a possible bowl win, and we thought they're basement was 5-7 if the wheels fall off the wagon. this is a team that's posted three .500 or worse seasons in the last four years. if that team starts 2-3 (entirely possible), i don't think the morale is going to stay very high out there. more than likely? they beat vandy, msu, and split arkansas/fsu, finish 7-5, go to a minor bowl, get a win, and start the long road back to contention.

Keep in mind......in UAT football history, if UAT has lost to Arkansas in conference play, they have never finished above .500

They didn't have the talent last year to compete in the SEC.........they don't have talent this year to compete in the SEC.

actually in 1995 uat lost to arkansas 20-19 and finished the season 8-3. That is the lone exception.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bg i completely disagree with you on arkansas. they lost no more than you did defensively. seriously, they lost stars, but you lost almost the whole defense too. so i'd call that close to a split. flip to the other side, i'd take their line over your's (with the exception of left tackle and POSSIBLY center), i'd take their number one receiver over your's, i'd take their fullback over your's, i'd take their backup tailback over any running back on your roster... then there's mcfadden. wilson is much better than arkansas' guys, so is keith brown, but that's about it offensively. arkansas is more talented. win that and it's an upset.

msu has the same type of depth. their oline is as good as your's. their star in the secondary (pegues) is better than your's. gilberry and titus brown are a draw. tony burks and coeric riley are really good, but i'd take hall and brown. i'd take anthony dixon over any bama back. state's tight ends are better than your's. it's not the runaway you think it is. i really believe that. i'm also in the minority of people who think this msu team is a legit bowl threat. they'll beat tulane, gardner webb, and uab. they get bama and ole miss at home. if they can outscore kentucky, they could make "the leap." either way, this is the most talented team in starkville since 2001 (the year they lost total control and fell off the map).

bg i completely disagree with you on arkansas. they lost no more than you did defensively. seriously, they lost stars, but you lost almost the whole defense too. so i'd call that close to a split. flip to the other side, i'd take their line over your's (with the exception of left tackle and POSSIBLY center), i'd take their number one receiver over your's, i'd take their fullback over your's, i'd take their backup tailback over any running back on your roster... then there's mcfadden. wilson is much better than arkansas' guys, so is keith brown, but that's about it offensively. arkansas is more talented. win that and it's an upset.

msu has the same type of depth. their oline is as good as your's. their star in the secondary (pegues) is better than your's. gilberry and titus brown are a draw. tony burks and coeric riley are really good, but i'd take hall and brown. i'd take anthony dixon over any bama back. state's tight ends are better than your's. it's not the runaway you think it is. i really believe that. i'm also in the minority of people who think this msu team is a legit bowl threat. they'll beat tulane, gardner webb, and uab. they get bama and ole miss at home. if they can outscore kentucky, they could make "the leap." either way, this is the most talented team in starkville since 2001 (the year they lost total control and fell off the map).

Let's start with Arkansas.

They are starting 3 1st time starters on their Oline. Alabama has the best left tackle in the league, and arguably the best center in the league. BJ Stabler is a 2 year starter and quite good. Justin Britt is also a 2 year starter. The only problem we had on OL last year was Chris Capps. And it took saban 1.5 practices to move him from starting RT to 3rd string LT. Mike Johnson is the only non returning starter on the Oline.

So are you telling me you are favoring 3 newcomers over 2 returning starters (one freshman all sec) and 1 newcomer?

You'd take their #1 receiver over ours. But we have a lot of depth at that position. And you know having one superstar WR and a couple of rookies makes you open to double teams.

Also, the fact that they are breaking in a new QB is a HUUUUUUGE gap between us and them. You can have all the talent in the world, but a crappy QB and a defense replacing 8 starters will = losses.

On the Dline, one projected starter, Harrison, wont be available until after the Bama game because he's recovering from an ACL blow. Another, Robinson, was plagued by a bad hip injury this spring. That means they return 1 starter on the Dline. Bama returns Greenwood and Gilberry. And get Zeke Knight back who missed the last 9 games of last season due to injury.

On defense we lost Juwan (no big loss), Ramzee Robinson (sizeable loss), and Dukes (loss). We will feel the loss of Dukes. Not the other two. We are quite deep at CB. Not very deep at LB, but Simpson did squat last year. Arkansas only returns 4 starters on D. Bama returns 7.

The MSU comparison is laughable. Pegues is better than Castille? Really? Is that why Simeon is preseason 1st team All SEC? Led the league in takeaways last year? What about Simeon on the Thorpe watchlist? Pegues is a special return man. But hasn't proven himself as a DB.

I'll give you their OL because it's actually pretty good. I'd take Anthony Dixon over most backs in the SEC. I would take our Tight Ends, our DBs, our DEs, our WRs, and definitely our QB.

Let's start with Arkansas.

Also, the fact that they are breaking in a new QB is a HUUUUUUGE gap between us and them. You can have all the talent in the world, but a crappy QB and a defense replacing 8 starters will = losses.

Casey Dick has played 2 SEC seasons now. He played extensively last season. He's no world beater, but he does inject some life into a pretty lifeless passing game at times. They won't be breaking in a new QB. Mustain was 2nd team by season's end.

A lot of that was because of Mustain's attitude problem. And Casey got beaten out by Mitch last year when Mitch was abysmal.

Casey got beaten out a year before by Robert Johnson. Casey isn't awful. But he isn't great either.

bama will go 7-6, 8-5, 9-4, or 10-3 (bowl included)

If Bama ends up with a winning record this year (including a bowl), it will be a successful season.

There is no way Bama should be ranked. We are coming off of a losing season, lost some of our D, we have a small inexperienced D-line, and no proven TB. Also a new coach. That is an easy question to answer.

Ole Miss played you guys pretty tight last year. actually, i believe every SEC game that AU won in 06 was decided on the last drive of the game (saw that little gem on ESPN a while back..go check some box scores and drive summaries if you don't believe it). so since all those SEC teams played you guys so tight last year, that would mean they will certainly beat you guys this season, right?

Ole Miss played you guys pretty tight last year. actually, i believe every SEC game that AU won in 06 was decided on the last drive of the game (saw that little gem on ESPN a while back..go check some box scores and drive summaries if you don't believe it). so since all those SEC teams played you guys so tight last year, that would mean they will certainly beat you guys this season, right?

Whatever RWS, that little gem is BS!!!

We beat MSU 34-0, did we score 34 on the last drive???

We beat LSU 7-3, maybe you can have that one...

We beat SC 24-17, the last score in that game came at 8:25 in the fourth by SC.

We beat UF 27-17, did we score 10 on the last drive???

We beat Ole Miss 23-17, we kicked 2 FGs with 7:35, and 0:35 remaining respectively, hmm.

We beat bama 22-15, the last score in the game was a TD at 1:28 in the 3rd quarter.

Did you research it either??

We beat Ole Miss 23-17, we kicked 2 FGs with 7:35, and 0:35 remaining respectively, hmm.

We beat bama 22-15, the last score in the game was a TD at 1:28 in the 3rd quarter.

So why play the game after the 3rd Quarter? The bama game was decided when JPW threw the INT on YOUR side of the field during our last drive.

You beat UF by 10 because they threw an INT on their last drive that you ran back for a TD.

SC had the ball inside the 10 yardline with like a min to go.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

So why play the game after the 3rd Quarter? The bama game was decided when JPW threw the INT on YOUR side of the field during our last drive.

You beat UF by 10 because they threw an INT on their last drive that you ran back for a TD.

I'm not picking quarters BG, but either way if you assume that the opposing team scored a TD in the games decide by 7, were they going for a 2pt conversion to win the game if they made it???? Perhaps a PAT???

What would you have said of Shula had he done it??? Ok, kick the PAT, then it's over time, maybe a loss for AU, maybe not...

Either way, I am not buying it. Did we play close games last year?? Sure. Is his stat correct??

Not just no, but HE11 no!!

When uat threw that int the line of scrimmage was uat's 44. He threw it down field and it was intercepted at the auburn 39. It was 1:15 or so to go and uat had NO TIMEOUTS. It's not like we Intercepted in the endzone or uat had the ball even deep in our territory, hell not even across mid-field.

You beat UF by 10 because they threw an INT on their last drive that you ran backfor a TD.

NO, NO, NO....we lead 21-17 Florida had the ball deep in their own territory and tried desperately to complete a pass down field. The LAST PLAY OF THE GAME they completed a pass and pitched it backwards, once successfully and the next one was fumbled. Patrick Lee then advanced the FUMBLE into the endzone. THere was NO INTERCEPTION there and they weren't even at midfield. Further more we had the ball and the lead 18-17 and ran the clock down to 35 seconds when we kicked the field goal to make it 21-17. Furthermore, Florida didn't score a point in the second half.... NICE TRY THOUGH...You'll get something right eventually.

OK, you got one right out of three. Sometimes I wonder if you ever actually watch a football game.

When uat threw that int the line of scrimmage was uat's 44. He threw it down field and it was intercepted at the auburn 39. It was 1:15 or so to go and uat had NO TIMEOUTS. It's not like we Intercepted in the endzone or uat had the ball even deep in our territory, hell not even across mid-field.

So you don't think having the ball on the 44 with 1:15 is enough to score? You think the game wasnt decided with the interception?

B)

... You beat UF by 10 because they threw an INT on their last drive that you ran back for a TD.

Nope. You must have been thinking of the next to last UF possesion. That's when Leak threw the interception on 1st down. AU drove down within FG range but Vaughn couldn't connect from 30 yds out. UF's last possession in that game went like this: incomplete pass, incomplete pass, incomplete pass, complete pass for 3 yds then lateral back for 5 yd loss before fumbling to Patrick Lee for a scoop & score TD as time expired. I know you were just being polite calling UF's last possesion a "drive." {I would not be that generous.}

Nope, not quite. Now, USC did mount a drive from their own 20 with 5:08 left in the game. The AU defense stiffened & grdugingly gave ground the whole way. USC had 1st & 10 at the AU 24 and had 3 straight incompletions before getting exactly 10 yds on 4th down. But, just like the entire 2006 season for the uat offense, USC had trouble in the red zone here. The next series went like this: pass completion for 7 yds, sack loss of 8 yds, pass completion of 10 yds, TO with 0:26 on 4th & 1 at the 5, incomplete pass. Game over Player 1.

Just trying to keep it accurate ... ...

So you don't think having the ball on the 44 with 1:15 is enough to score? You think the game wasnt decided with the interception?

Sure its enough to score, for a quality offense, not for uat's offense. officially, yes it was over with the INT. But you make it sound like the game ended with uat on the goal line about to score and that simply wasn't the case.

meh, the MSU game my bad on that one. but all in all, you need to look at the drive chart. you're looking at SCORING charts. here, i'll do your homework for you.

SC - at 8:25 left in the game, SC finished up a 93 yard drive for a TD to make the score 24-17. with 5:24 left SC took posession on their 20 yard line after an AU 3 and out. SC drove 75 yards to the AU 5 and turned it over on downs at :19 left.

UF - at the beginning of the 4th quarter, it was 18-17 AU. at the :27 mark AU got a FG off of a FL INT, making it 21-17. FL got the ball at their 20 yard line with :26 remaining. they fumbled it and AU ran it back for a TD.

Ole Miss - at 7:35 left in the game, AU just finished a 51 yard drive good for a 20 yard field goal making it 20-17 AU. then at the :35 second mark, AU scored another FG making it 23-17 AU. Ole Miss then got the ball back with :30 left on their 20. they ran one play, but had exhausted all of their timeouts at this point.

Alabama - you are correct, the last score in the game was at 1:28 in the third quarter making it 22-15. our last drive of the game ended in an INT on the AU 38 with 1:28 left in the 4th. but with us having four turnovers we should have been stomped.

for a bonus, i will throw in the Nebraska bowl game.

at the beginning of the 4TH quarter, it was 17-14 AU. at the 5:24 mark in the 4th, Nebraska recovered an AU fumble on the Nebraska 43. with 1:36 left in the game Nebraska turned it over on downs at the AU 30.

Sure its enough to score, for a quality offense, not for uat's offense. officially, yes it was over with the INT. But you make it sound like the game ended with uat on the goal line about to score and that simply wasn't the case.

Alabama outgained AU by 103 yards in that game.

AU BAMA

passing-137 passing-252

rushing-124 rushing-112

so since we didn't have a quality offense, outgaining you guys by 103 yards must mean AU doesn't have a quality defense?

AU BAMA

passing-137 passing-252

rushing-124 rushing-112

so since we didn't have a quality offense, outgaining you guys by 103 yards must mean AU doesn't have a quality defense?

:blink: bammie logic strikes again. Hello. You didn't have a quality team. Do I need to remind you what your record was? AU had a quality defense, kicking game coupled with a mediocre (by stat comparison) offense. AU just wasn't hitting on all cylinders every game last season. Offensive stats were way off. I will chalk up the 11-2 record due to coaching/game management more so than overwhelming stats. They got what counts (the wins,) but they just didn't look spectacular doing it -- unlike the 2004 season where evey game was under control & practically over by halftime.

AU BAMA

passing-137 passing-252

rushing-124 rushing-112

Yards don't equal points, so you can win the yardage battle every single year. We'll just keep scoring more points. Oh, don't forget our defense forced 4 turnovers. I would hope you have more passing yards than us, after all you threw the ball 33 times to our 14. Why are we even having this discussion? This thread is about where does uat deserve to be ranked, not how many close games auburn played last year. Guess you uaters are grasping at anything you can get your hands on. Another moral victory. Tell me what this has to do with the topic of the thread?

I'm just shaking my head here bama dudes... you had a losing season last year, we've beaten you 5 years in a row, and have had a remarkable win/loss record during that time. Can you not just say, "you guys are the better team right now". Is that not a possible statement from a uat fan? Is it ALWAYS "last minute drive", "officiating", "we were on probabtion", "you got lucky"... blah, blah, blah. Can you stand outside of yourselves as an unbiased observer and see how childish, petulant and ridiculous your statements are? I'm sorry... I don't usually hammer on you guys much... the rest of my family is uat, but DAMN, at what point do you realize your program is mediocre, and AU is kicking ass? Sorry, rant over.

Yeah, it's not like we could have scored on a 50 yard pass play. <_<

To say the game DIDN'T end when the int happened...because Alabama had a "crappy offense and was no real threat" is childish logic and you know it. The game ended when the drive stalled from the INT. Not in the 3rd quarter.

Yeah, it's not like we could have scored on a 50 yard pass play. <_<

To say the game DIDN'T end when the int happened...because Alabama had a "crappy offense and was no real threat" is childish logic and you know it. The game ended when the drive stalled from the INT. Not in the 3rd quarter.

Well, actually no you couldn't have scored on a 50 yard pass play because you were 56 yards away, that would have put you at the 6 and we all know uat couldn't score from there given their inept redzone offense, so you are right. After all, uat had a better chance of scoring from mid-field than if they got inside the 20 anyway.

AU BAMA

passing-137 passing-252

rushing-124 rushing-112

Yards don't equal points, so you can win the yardage battle every single year. We'll just keep scoring more points. Oh, don't forget our defense forced 4 turnovers. I would hope you have more passing yards than us, after all you threw the ball 33 times to our 14. Why are we even having this discussion? This thread is about where does uat deserve to be ranked, not how many close games auburn played last year. Guess you uaters are grasping at anything you can get your hands on. Another moral victory. Tell me what this has to do with the topic of the thread?

you honestly didn't believe a thread with this topic would be posted and there would be no discussion to it?

you honestly didn't believe a thread with this topic would be posted and there would be no discussion to it?

Actually, yes, but I'm not the one that made the incorrect supposition... You were.

Especially off topic!!

The last drive, is the last drive, slice it and dice it as you will. Then put away the crack pipe!!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. What is your opinion, not fluff, on the original post??? You didn't give it, you made some incorrect assertions that started this fracas.. Period!!

i'm still trying to figure out the logic from the first question directed, i think, at me: since people played you close last year, they must be guaranteed to beat you this year?

i'll say no. to start off i picked bama to beat arkansas and msu (both of which beat you last year), i'm not exactly sure where you're getting the idea that i think close games turn into losses. next, you'd be working under the assumption that either auburn's defense will regress (we'll be better) or the offense will be worse (finished 10th after coming in at number 1 two years in a row so don't hold your breath) in order to come to the conclusion that we lose games we won last year. so again, i'm not sure how you jumped all that way.

back to bg's argument about overall talent, let's start on defense. arkansas is actually returning 6 guys that have been starters at some point or another. grant and hewitt (the safeties) have both been starters, they bring back one corner, another linebacker (hewitt also started at linebacker last year but got moved back to safety where he started two years ago), ernest mitchell and robinson. granted robinson was hurt in spring, but as far as i know, he'll play this fall. so that's 6 by my count; to bama's 6 (where'd the 7th come from??).

as for talent, robinson is better than gilberry. i've seen both play. bobby greenwood either took a giant leap or is still a scrub getting pt. prince hall might be the best player for either team (i really do think he's gonna be special), but he's surrounded by question marks, same as the hogs. and don't give me that "won't miss him" crap. that is so freaking alabama it's not funny. you guys are some of the most ungrateful, naysaying fans i've ever seen. have you ever graduated a player that was really going to hurt the team to lose? did you at least call chris samuels a huge loss? anyone?

here, i'll go first: auburn is really going to miss not having david irons because we're going to have to find a number one corner. or auburn is really going to miss ben grubbs because he was the most athletic guard in the country. or auburn is really going to miss courtney taylor because he knew how to work against a double team. it's not as hard as you think to praise graduating players without bashing the guys you have. you're going to miss simpson, dukes, and robinson either more than you think or more than you let on.

offensively, andre caldwell isn't in luigs' league. there is no "possibly the best center" in the sec. it's luigs and everyone else. he was 1st team all-sec last year, and he might win the dang rimington this year. so yeah gimme him, felton, and anyone else over bama's interior line any day. you're right. i would take smith over any other tackle on either team, but don't act like bama's got an overload of gems at tackle when i watched chris capps start there for two years.

also, they aren't breaking in a new qb. they're lining up a qb with 15 career starts (or more than jpw). would i take wilson over him? yeah, but not because of experience. and please don't undervalue the gap between mcfadden and jones and hillis compared to what you'll be lining up. that makes up for a lot of mistakes and talent right there. if you asked me straight up would a rather have mcfadden, jones, hillis, monk and a scrub or johns, grant, hall, brown, and stover, i'd take the first group in a heartbeat.

as for msu, pegues had 4 ints last year to castille's 6. and pegues was playing out of position at corner (kinda like junior rosegreen used to for us when we didn't have better options). don't act surprised when pegues leads the league in ints this year and ends up an all-sec safety now that he's playing his natural position.

and there is no difference between titus brown/avery hannibal and wallace gilberry/bobby greenwood. that's a toss all the way. as for the tight ends, travis mccall is decent, but eric butler is better. my full breakdown: your qb, their backs, your wideouts, their tightends, their overall oline, your overall dline, their linebackers, your corners, their safeties. like i said, you boys will win more games, but msu is closing the talent gap slowly but surely.

(and for the record, i'd take their receivers over auburn, their oline at this point, and probably their linebacking corp b/c of our oncoming lack of depth. my point is, a few years ago they had very few players that could've gotten pt at auburn... now they have guys that any team would want.)

Archived