What's Your Real Take?

AUesquire

Okay, many of the preseason polls are out and the usual suspects are where most would expect. I heard a big debate on our local sports talk show this morning about why Bama was not in the USA Coaches poll and many of the excuses were from waaaayyyyy out in left field, including jealousy of the CNS contract. Since about 90% of the threads in this forum are Bama related, I figure most of you should have a take on where they should rank. A realistic view of what kind of team you expect this year.

I think the preseason rankings for them have not been out of whack. If you take a step back and view this team from somewhere other than this State and the media hype and the take of the rival fans, what would you expect from this team. Let's say you were trying to breakdown...Oklahoma State with the same personell, coaching etc. I think the rankings have been realistic because of:

The positives:

1. Better than average QB who has a year of experience under his belt.

2. A top flight corp of receivers. Brown and Hall are as good a tandem as there is in this conference.

3. Coaching. All kidding aside, there's no one that can argue with a straight face that CNS is not a huge step up from Shula.

There are other positives like Castille, Gilberry and Hall on D but those are the real strengths that matter to me.

The negatives:

1. No proven running game. Again, take the "Could be's" out of it. Terry Grant could be a great running back but he hasn't proven anything yet. The general public and sports world sees no one on the depth chart with any experience at TB.

2. The OL. Until they prove they can consistently block anyone, this would be considered a weakness. New staff may light a fire but the past few years have been lean times on the OL.

3. Defense was gutted by graduation. Yes, a handful of good players return, but the DL is undersized and inexperienced overall.

4. Last season. We're talking about polls and an evaluation of this team coming into this season. This team was 6-7 with a lot of close calls to bad teams like Duke and a loss to MSU. It wasn't all coaching and most folks would assume the overall depth of athleticism is not there yet.

What's your take?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they could and probably should have an offense ranked at a minimum in the top 3 in the SEC. However, that will be about 65% passing O.

A very good coach used to say that to win in the SEC you have to be able to run and stop the run. Looking at their D Line and LB corps, I don't believe they will stop the run with consistency. Combine that with the fact that they will be passing more on O, and I smell at least 4 losses, maybe 5 (Florida State a possibility).

Okay, many of the preseason polls are out and the usual suspects are where most would expect. I heard a big debate on our local sports talk show this morning about why Bama was not in the USA Coaches poll and many of the excuses were from waaaayyyyy out in left field, including jealousy of the CNS contract. Since about 90% of the threads in this forum are Bama related, I figure most of you should have a take on where they should rank. A realistic view of what kind of team you expect this year.

I think the preseason rankings for them have not been out of whack. If you take a step back and view this team from somewhere other than this State and the media hype and the take of the rival fans, what would you expect from this team. Let's say you were trying to breakdown...Oklahoma State with the same personell, coaching etc. I think the rankings have been realistic because of:

The positives:

2. A top flight corp of receivers. Brown and Hall are as good a tandem as there is in this conference.

3. Coaching. All kidding aside, there's no one that can argue with a straight face that CNS is not a huge step up from Shula.

There are other positives like Castille, Gilberry and Hall on D but those are the real strengths that matter to me.

The negatives:

1. No proven running game. Again, take the "Could be's" out of it. Terry Grant could be a great running back but he hasn't proven anything yet. The general public and sports world sees no one on the depth chart with any experience at TB.

2. The OL. Until they prove they can consistently block anyone, this would be considered a weakness. New staff may light a fire but the past few years have been lean times on the OL.

3. Defense was gutted by graduation. Yes, a handful of good players return, but the DL is undersized and inexperienced overall.

4. Last season. We're talking about polls and an evaluation of this team coming into this season. This team was 6-7 with a lot of close calls to bad teams like Duke and a loss to MSU. It wasn't all coaching and most folks would assume the overall depth of athleticism is not there yet.

What's your take?

I don't know that I could add anything to this. It's pretty much exactly what I think and perhaps a bit more in depth. I'm seeing 7-5 with losses coming to Arky, UGA, FSU, LSU and Auburn. They might knock off Arky and end up 8-4. If they take out any of UGA, LSU, FSU or Auburn, color me surprised.

I don't know that I could add anything to this. It's pretty much exactly what I think and perhaps a bit more in depth. I'm seeing 7-5 with losses coming to Arky, UGA, FSU, LSU and Auburn. They might knock off Arky and end up 8-4. If they take out any of UGA, LSU, FSU or Auburn, color me surprised.

Couldn't have said it any better myself with the exception of :arky: . Even though the :arky: program has had it's recent problems, I believe McFadden and Jones will run all over :ua: 's weak run defense, as will :au: .

The positives:

The negatives:

What's your take?

UT......

MSU has the week off before UAT.

FLorida State has the week off before UAT.

Arkansas has the week off before UAT.

LSU has the week off before UAT.

AUburn has the week off before UAT.

Georgia has the week off before UAT, they play a scrimage against Western Carolina.

Its not a matter of talent or coaching...the schedule is stacked against UAT.....5-7 for 2007.

I think the preseason rankings are pretty accurate. Somewhere between 26-35.

I couldn't see us being any higher without having taken the field once under Saban.

With their reported defense I don't see how the can stop Ga, AU, LSU, Ark, Tenn and will have trouble with FSU and maybe Vandy. If you can't stop'em you usually have a hard time beatin'em.

:au: They shouldn't be ranked in the top 25 for sure....after that it doesn't matter much at this point. I guess everybody schuduled an open date before they play bama because of the mighty st. nick......all kidding aside that is crazy that so many teams have open dates before they play bama :au:

:au: They shouldn't be ranked in the top 25 for sure....after that it doesn't matter much at this point. I guess everybody schuduled an open date before they play bama because of the mighty st. nick......all kidding aside that is crazy that so many teams have open dates before they play bama :au:

Its a conspiracy. The SEC commish did it so that everyone would be better prepared to beat uat.

My favorite Coissandwich from Burger King is that one with ham, egg and cheese. You get a cherry Icee with it...mmmmmmm.

Do you Ever Add anything of substance to Any topics on this forum?

Anywoo, I see alabama stumbling against Vanderbilt... I see that game as their first loss followed by a close loss to Arkansas, a Drumming by Georgia, a loss by way of the Seminoles, Houston will give them a run for their money, another Moral victory against Tenn., a loss to LSU, and a loss to Auburn. I'm saying 5-7... possibly 4-8, depending on the MSU game. It could even be worse than that depending on Injuries. And yes, the Croissandwich from BK is really good.

Anywoo, I see alabama stumbling against Vanderbilt... I see that game as their first loss followed by a close loss to Arkansas, a Drumming by Georgia, a loss by way of the Seminoles, Houston will give them a run for their money, another Moral victory against Tenn., a loss to LSU, and a loss to Auburn. I'm saying 5-7... possibly 4-8, depending on the MSU game. It could even be worse than that depending on Injuries. And yes, the Croissandwich from BK is really good.

Yeah, and Auburn's gonna go 2-10. I mean honestly, why be objective when you REALLY REALLY hate a team?

You need to distinguish between games you WANT us to lose, and games we are LIKELY to lose.

... What's your take?

That's a pretty good assesment. I would only add that the MS schools & Vandy are much improved from previous years, and one or more of these teams are going to scare the bejebus out of $aben & the toothless masses. All 3 are road games for uat. It should be very interest- uh, ... entertaining. :)

Its a conspiracy. The SEC commish did it so that everyone would be better prepared to beat uat.

Everyone brings their A-game when they go up against the legendary Bama.

My predictions, and they are worth nothing...

Western Carolina------Win

Vanderbilt-------Win

Arkansas-------Win

Georgia--------loss

FSU--------50/50 but I'll take a win as a homer

Houston-------Win

Ole Miss-------Win

Tennessee------Loss

LSU----------Loss

Miss. State---------Win

ULM----------Win

Auburn-------WIN

That's 9-3 with a toss up for the bowl game.

That's my real take, but I suspect there could be one of my wins that becomes a loss, and one of my losses that becomes a win.

Yeah, and Auburn's gonna go 2-10. I mean honestly, why be objective when you REALLY REALLY hate a team?

You need to distinguish between games you WANT us to lose, and games we are LIKELY to lose.

Those are games that you all are likely to lose... I've looked at the schedule, I'll say this again... some of those losses will depend on the outcome of the Vanderbilt game. If bama gets beat by Vandy, yall WILL get beat by Ark., Georgia, and FSU. After the 5th game BG, I'll post this back up.

oddly, i was talking ball with some buddies and bama came up today. so i'll share the breakdown we came up with:

six teams bama plays have more talent: arkansas, auburn, florida state, georgia, lsu, and tennessee.

one more team beat them last year (and i argued has similar talent): msu

one more team played them really tight: vandy

the rest of the games are gimmes: houston, ulm, ole miss, and western carolina

they definitely have a better head coach, and one would think the redzone scoring numbers have no where to go but up. so that's two pluses for the team. on the down side, applewhite is a total shot in the dark; not only is this his first year in the sec, it's his second as a coordinator and only his fifth year out of college. his inexperience is a minus for a team likely leaning on its offense.

personnel-wise, the passing game is stacked, but the line is still questionable and the running game is a total mystery... even to the coaches. i have a hard time buying the terry grant hype, i know jimmy johns is nothing to wow over, same thing for coffee. wilson got a year of experience, which is the best thing a qb in this league can get. so that's gonna help. defensively, they're really green. bama's gotta hope for two things: 1) the offense shows immediately and 2) the defenders can pick up a really complex scheme, really quickly. gilberry, hall, and castille are all solid, but who else is there?

so given all that, i'd be shocked if they got a win over georgia, tennessee, lsu, or auburn. those are the games where the personnel will be the most over-matched. i think saban finds a way to split the arkansas/fsu games because he's a good coach, and he's gonna make the team tougher if nothing else. i think bama gets vandy because no matter how close they get, vandy can't close on bama. seriously. when is that not a close call? but it's always a win. the big question is: how much better is msu? if they're a lot better, they could have four wins looking for a couple more with three to play; plus that game is on the road AND right after the lsu game. that's a potential upset all the way, whether bama fans want to hear it or not.

so we thought bama's ceiling was 9-4 including a possible bowl win, and we thought they're basement was 5-7 if the wheels fall off the wagon. this is a team that's posted three .500 or worse seasons in the last four years. if that team starts 2-3 (entirely possible), i don't think the morale is going to stay very high out there. more than likely? they beat vandy, msu, and split arkansas/fsu, finish 7-5, go to a minor bowl, get a win, and start the long road back to contention.

so we thought bama's ceiling was 9-4 including a possible bowl win, and we thought they're basement was 5-7 if the wheels fall off the wagon. this is a team that's posted three .500 or worse seasons in the last four years. if that team starts 2-3 (entirely possible), i don't think the morale is going to stay very high out there. more than likely? they beat vandy, msu, and split arkansas/fsu, finish 7-5, go to a minor bowl, get a win, and start the long road back to contention.

Keep in mind......in UAT football history, if UAT has lost to Arkansas in conference play, they have never finished above .500

They didn't have the talent last year to compete in the SEC.........they don't have talent this year to compete in the SEC.

My favorite Coissandwich from Burger King is that one with ham, egg and cheese. You get a cherry Icee with it...mmmmmmm.

Listen...it can't TOUCH the Steak and egg bagel at Mickey D's.... :)

:au::homer:

six teams bama plays have more talent: arkansas, auburn, florida state, georgia, lsu, and tennessee.

one more team beat them last year (and i argued has similar talent): msu

I respectfully disagree. Arkansas doesn't have more talent than us. Except for RB position. They lost their key players to the draft, and they lost their QB to quitting. You know how hard it is to break in a new QB in the SEC.

MSU having similar talent is a joke. Beyond a joke. Bama lost to them last year, it had nothing to do with talent.

MSU lost to AU last year 34-0. LSU 48-17. Gave up 32 to Tulane and lost. Alabama was in every game until late in the 4th Quarter. There's a big difference in 3-9 and getting blown out in most of your losses...and 6-7 with many of your losses coming late in the 4th.

I'm not saying we will set the world on fire this year. But assuming losses to teams like Vandy and MSU (which you didn't do) is a joke. Yes they MAY beat us, but they also MAY beat Auburn.

I don't know and I don't care.

So, you're one of that percentage of people who responds to a poll in order to say you have no opinion.

He's trying to get his post count up...you know he cares.

Archived