Quentin Groves named SEC Defensive Player of the week

ATLauburnfan

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-foot.../090307aaa.html

Quentin Groves Named SEC Defensive Lineman Of The Week

Groves tallied two sacks and forced a fumble in the victory over Kansas State.

Click here for a printer friendly version Printer-Friendly Format

Click here to email to a friend E-mail this article

Quentin Groves

Sept. 3, 2007

AUBURN, Ala. - Auburn senior defensive end Quentin Groves has been named the Southeastern Conference's Defensive Player of the Week, the conference office announced Monday.

Groves had five tackles, three for losses, including two quarterback sacks and forced a fumble during Auburn's 23-13 season-opening victory over Kansas State. With Auburn clinging to a 16-13 lead with just over a minute remaining, Groves sacked Wildcat quarterback Josh Freeman, causing a fumble which was returned 34 yards for a touchdown by Antonio Coleman, sealing the Auburn victory.

Groves, who was named to preseason watch lists for the Lombardi Award, the Bednarik Award, the Bronko Nagurski Trophy and the Hendricks Award, now has 25 career sacks and is just one sack shy of the Auburn all-time record for career sacks held by Gerald Robinson (1982-85).

It marks the third time Groves has been honored with an SEC weekly award. In 2006, Groves was named SEC Defensive Player of the Week after collecting three quarterback sacks during Auburn's 27-17 victory over Florida, and was the league's Defensive Lineman of the Week after finishing with two sacks and two forced fumbles in Auburn's 22-15 victory at Alabama.

Groves and Auburn return to action Saturday when the Tigers host South Florida (1-0) at 8 p.m. CT in a game that will be televised nationally by ESPN2.

1334182.jpeg

Caption: "I llloooooovvveeee yooouuuu."

Sorry but that pic kind of looks like a great big bear hug.

Defensive LINEMAN of the week, not defensive player.

But yeah, he tore up KSU saturday.

yea it says that in the headline but in the actual article it says player.

so idk. weird.

Groves is a beast, and the KSU game confirmed it...

The poor LT for KSU looked like he was walking in wet concrete. Our LT has some size and quickness, but we'll need to keep a back in to double Groves -- or move the pocket a lot.

I expect Groves will get a couple of sacks... the only question is if the rest of the defense can hold up enough... KSU found some holes to run and throw through.

It will be a good game, and I'm looking forward to my visit to Jordan Hare...

Groves is a beast, and the KSU game confirmed it...

The poor LT for KSU looked like he was walking in wet concrete. Our LT has some size and quickness, but we'll need to keep a back in to double Groves -- or move the pocket a lot.

I expect Groves will get a couple of sacks... the only question is if the rest of the defense can hold up enough... KSU found some holes to run and throw through.

It will be a good game, and I'm looking forward to my visit to Jordan Hare...

well they managed only 27 net yards rushing, so I'm not sure how that can be interpreted as finding holes to run through.

Hope you have a great trip to the plains. Get to toomers and get some lemonade. You won't regret it.

The D played very well. Don't forget all the passes knocked down at the line , pass es deflected and/or nearly intercepted, fumbles and interception. Did anyone get reminded of Fast Freddie Smith by the Little Ball of Hate ? I did .

There was a time when I got nervous when the other team would get the ball late with the chance for a game winning drive. Now, with our DEs i just sit back and watch the fun (and yell).

I'm just as impressed with Q's ability as everyone else. He really turned it on Saturday night, and when he had to do something, he did it. That's amazing, and I feel real good about this defense.

That said, I'll feel a whole lot better about this unit if we can beat South Florida this weekend. If our defense can hold them under 17 points, I'll be very impressed.

Archived