Despite last weeks loss to ECU, Houston has a good team

JohnDeere

If the Tide defense doesn't have it strapped on Saturday, UH will score points and it will become a shot-out which favor's UH.

The line on this game will be REALLY interesting to see.

houston's page

Football Loses 37-35 Heartbreaker To East Carolina

Avery finishes night with a Conference USA record 350 all-purpose yards

HOUSTON -T.J. Lawrence missed a game-winning 38-yard field goal with eight seconds left as the University of Houston football team dropped a 37-35 decision to East Carolina Saturday in Conference USA action on John O'Quinn Field at Robertson Stadium.

Houston (2-2, 1-1 C-USA) came back from a 13-point deficit to get within two, but the Cougars saw their Robertson Stadium-record, six-game home winning streak come to an end. The Pirates (2-3, 1-1 C-USA) earned their fourth win in five tries in Houston.

Lawrence missed three field goals in the game, going wide left from 37 yards and wide right from 38-yards on Houston's final two drives of the game. He also had a 49-yard attempt blocked by ECU's C.J. Wilson with 2:24 left in the first half. Zack Slate recovered the block and ran it back 50 yards to the Houston 11-yard line.

ECU's Chris Johnson finished with 153 yards rushing on 24 carries with a pair of touchdowns to lead all players. He had TD runs of 13 yards in the second quarter and 43 yards midway through the third.

His 43-yard run put UH into a 34-21 hole with 8:15 left in the third quarter. On UH's next drive, Anthony Alridge scored a four-yard run with 4:26 left in the quarter to pull within 34-28, but ECU's Ben Hartman made the margin nine, 37-28, with his 33-yard field goal with 10 seconds left in the quarter.

On the ensuing kickoff, Donnie Avery ran the ball back 100 yards for a touchdown, tallying the third 100-yard return in UH history and fourth in C-USA history. Ricky Wilson (2003) and Ronnie Powledge (1963) are the two other Cougars to accomplish the feat.

The return closed out the scoring for the night as East Carolina was forced to punt on four of its last five drives. The Cougar defense came up big in the final quarter, holding the Pirates to 15 yards on their final five drives of the night.

Avery finished with a C-USA-record 350 all-purpose yards, eclipsing the previous league mark of 347, set by TCU's Cory Rodgers in 2004. Avery had 189 yards receiving, 161 return yards and three touchdowns.

After a slow start to the game, UH got on the board first with 3:33 left in the first quarter when Case Keenum found Avery on a 64-yard strike down the sideline. The Pirates answered seven seconds into the second quarter with Johnson's first touchdown run.

Keenum left the game in the second quarter with a bruised hand. He had 95 yards passing with a touchdown. He was replaced by Blake Joseph who finished 24-of-29 with 250 yards, 42 yards rushing and two touchdowns.

Joseph found Avery on a 36-yard touchdown pass with 7:38 left in the half and later connected with Alridge on a five-yard pass with nine seconds in the half to bring UH to within 21-20 at the half.

The Cougars rolled up 484 yards of total offense, had 23 first downs compared to ECU's 14 and controlled the time of possession 35:01 to 24:59.

Alridge finished with 94 yards rushing, 43 yards receiving and two touchdowns. Teric Williams had six catches for 53 yards.

Rocky Schwartz and Phillip Hunt led the defense with nine and eight tackles, respectively. Schwartz also forced a fumble. Brendan Pahulu finished the night with one-and-a-half sacks, two tackles for loss and an interception.

ECU's Quentin Cotton had 14 tackles, leading all players. He was one of four Pirates to tally double-digit stops, along with Pierre Bell (12), Travis Williams (10) and Van Eskridge (10).

Houston heads back on the road next week, facing No. 22/24 Alabama at 2:07 p.m. CDT in Bryant-Denny Stadium. Fans can hear the game live on 790 AM The Sports Animal with Tom Franklin calling the play-by-play action, Ted Pardee providing color analysis and Chuck Brown reporting from the sideline. The pregame show is slated to begin one hour before kickoff. Fans also can follow live stats and video by clicking on the GameTracker and All-Access links at UHCougars.com.

Houston's offensive numbers

Rushing No Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg

-------------------------------------------------

Alridge, Anthony 21 94 5 89 1 22 4.2

Ganaway, Terrance 8 28 0 28 0 7 3.5 thats stout

Joseph, Blake 12 42 15 27 0 18 2.2

Kohn, Andre 1 1 0 1 0 1 1.0

Gilbert, Chris 2 4 6 -2 0 4 -1.0

Keenum, Case 2 9 13 -4 0 9 -2.0

Totals... 46 178 39 139 1 22 3.0

Passing Att-Cmp-Int Yds TD Long Sack

Joseph, Blake 29-24-0 250 2 36 3[/color]stout

Keenum, Case 11-6-2 95 1 64 1 two quaterbacks?

Team 1-0-0 0 0 0 0

Totals... 41-30-2 345 3 64 4

Receiving No. Yds TD Long

----------------------------------------

Avery, Donnie 9 189 2 64

Williams, Teric 6 53 0 36

Alridge, Anthony 5 43 1 13

Harvey, Jeron 4 27 0 11

Hafner, Mark 3 24 0 16

Gilbert, Chris 1 4 0 4

McDaniel, Perry 1 3 0 3

Scourten, Wesley 1 2 0 2

Totals... 30 345 3 64

Yep. And Houston also gave up 31 points to UNC, 28 points to Southern Miss.

I think UH will score some points, but not enough points. Their defense is porous.

Yep. And Houston also gave up 31 points to UNC, 28 points to Southern Miss.

I think UH will score some points, but not enough points. Their defense is porous.

Genius, you are looking at ECU's schedule.

Typical bammer, living in COMPLETE delusion.

UH came out flat against ECU. UH possibly looking past ECU to UAT? We'll see.

This game SHOULD be on network TV. I would really be interested in watching Houston.

09/01 at Oregon L 48-27

09/15 at Tulane W 34-10

09/22 Colo St W 38-27

09/29 E Carolina L 37-35

They scored 27 on a good Oregon team and held them to a pitiful :no: 48 points.

They have played some decent ball in that. That score against Tulane looks very similar to LSU's.

Id say the one lesson we have learned about college football this year is never look past even one game.

App state.

That is all.

If the Tide defense doesn't have it strapped on Saturday, UH will score points and it will become a shot-out which favor's UH.

well, all summer Vandy was the team that was going to get us because you guys said they were good this year. then we beat them, and they are "obviously" crap. now you guys are playing them and they are really really good now. so please excuse me if i tend to ignore your hype. now, i don't want to look past Houston because the possibility is there. but if we were to lose i highly doubt it would be because of the defense. i think this is the game JPW needs to break out of his slump.

well, all summer Vandy was the team that was going to get us because you guys said they were good this year. then we beat them, and they are "obviously" crap. now you guys are playing them and they are really really good now. so please excuse me if i tend to ignore your hype. now, i don't want to look past Houston because the possibility is there. but if we were to lose i highly doubt it would be because of the defense. i think this is the game JPW needs to break out of his slump.

I don't remember anybody seriously hyping Vandy. In my opinion that ball game could have easily swung in Vandy's favor in the 1st qtr and they could have won.

Four games into the season, before the month of October, it is tough to get a feel for the strengths of ANY team. So after four weeks of football, yes, UH still has a good team picking up where they left off last year and yes, Vandy is getting better every week. What's your point?

John Wilson should break out of his slump if the wind is not blowing and gusting like it was in Jacksonville.

The UAT offense is what it is....D.J. Hall and some freshman running back, UH returns several experienced players on defense. Provided UAT doesn't give UH any dumb turnovers, it is the UAT's defense's game to lose. They have to slow down the UH offense and keep the game from becoming a shot out.

UA's offense is also 2 First round OL, Keith Brown, Matt Caddell and Mike McCoy.

Good grief, here we go again.

2 First round offensive lineman? Please, enlighten us.

UA's offense is also 2 First round OL, Keith Brown, Matt Caddell and Mike McCoy.

:no: You know better BG. :no:

Is bg goin' after that "Post of the Week Award" again?

Andre Smith and Antoine Caldwell are very talented.

Sorry I didn't mean to throw the thread in a different direction. Seriously just sort of a knee-jerk reaction.

Andre Smith and Antoine Caldwell are very talented.

Sorry I didn't mean to throw the thread in a different direction. Seriously just sort of a knee-jerk reaction.

Wow...I had not heard A.S. was leaving this year.

Is that going to kill your line for next year?

caldwell is NOT a first round lineman. i bet you could list on one hand the number of centers taken in the first round over the last ten nfl drafts. it ain't happening. and andre smith WILL BE a 1st rounder, but if he came out this year, he would not be. so that's misleading. that'd be like me saying tray blackmon is a first rounder... yeah, he's got the talent, but he wouldn't get taken there right now.

all that said, bama wins this going away. houston makes it fun for about 20 minutes, and it's never exciting from there. houston is like new mexico state. they have weapons and a gimmick, but bama's got good coaching, better talent at almost every spot on the field, and home field advantage. no contest.

even less chance to get taken in the first then. tackle, center, guard pecking order in the draft. caldwell is no ben grubbs and those are the only kinds of guards that get taken that early.

even less chance to get taken in the first then. tackle, center, guard pecking order in the draft. caldwell is no ben grubbs and those are the only kinds of guards that get taken that early.

I guess we will see soon enough.

Others might have a different opinion... I do, but let's leave it to the folks that are paid to be "objective" about the subject....

ESPN 2008 Draft ranks... early, but info is available...

Name:

Top ranked OL:

Justin Britt at 26th over-all OG. James Capps at 27th. Neither hold an "over-all" ranking which means, a first round pick is going to be very "iffy" to say the least.

Keith Brown: 20th ranked WR. 163rd overall. He better hope for a VERY "receiver rich" first round.

Matt Caddell: 50th ranked WR. Not ranked in their overall position ranking. He needs to step up pretty quickly. Needs to catch about 3/4 of the 53 pass attempts JPW throws a game, to catch up.

As far as Mike McCoy... at least he still has time to prove something first. He's just a sophmore from what I've found.

As far as the topic....

I know Houston scores a lot of points, but Bama has played stiffer competition. I look for Bama to come out sleepy early, but reality steps in late, and the Tide walk away with an over-all expected victory.

...JMO... :thumbsup:

James Capps

Ha yeah, those projections aren't worth the Hyper Text Markup Language they're rendered in. (for you nerds out there)

First, it's CHRIS Capps. The don't even know the freaking guys name. And secondly, he's the absolute worst OL in the history of our program. And is currently third string left tackle...behind Andre and some dude who thought "football sounds fun, I'll try that."

Justin Britt, a converted DT, grades out 3rd or 4th best every week (except last week).

That guy just looked at a depth chart from last year and picked a couple of names.

If the Bammites win the homecoming contest against Houston will it be an indicator that they are once and for all, indeed BACK.

If the Bammites win the homecoming contest against Houston will it be an indicator that they are once and for all, indeed BACK.

Yup.......Fire up the SI Covers.

Headline:

Saban Gets His Team Back On Track

with a 31-28 come from behind victory....

(Read: All The Mullets Can Come Out Of Hiding).

James Capps

Ha yeah, those projections aren't worth the Hyper Text Markup Language they're rendered in. (for you nerds out there)

First, it's CHRIS Capps. The don't even know the freaking guys name. And secondly, he's the absolute worst OL in the history of our program. And is currently third string left tackle...behind Andre and some dude who thought "football sounds fun, I'll try that."

Justin Britt, a converted DT, grades out 3rd or 4th best every week (except last week).

That guy just looked at a depth chart from last year and picked a couple of names.

Okay...that was just ESPN...what do THEY know...

How about these guys? Scout.com

http://nflexperts.scout.com/a.z?s=211&...124&yr=2008

Only Three Draft Prospects so far: (No OL projected in the 1rst round)

First bama player listed: Simeon Castille - #2 CB, 15th overall

Wallace Gillberry - 12th best DE 119th overall

D.J. Hall - 10th best WR, 81st overall

or..

NFL Draft Scout -

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/college.php?DSTeamId=88

Updated Weekly....

I think the point I'm trying to make, is that maybe you might have, could of just possibly, squeeeeeezed in a zinger of an opinion, but it doesn't really hold water. I made sure to use sources outside Auburn, to extinguish any bias on our end.

Give Bama some time, they'll improve. However, it's going to take guys like these, and teams with their eyes on the national scene outside of "just" Alabama to start seeing the NFL type talent, let alone the "first round" type talant you've boasted.

...just sayin...

houston's page

Football Loses 37-35 Heartbreaker To East Carolina

Avery finishes night with a Conference USA record 350 all-purpose yards

HOUSTON -T.J. Lawrence missed a game-winning 38-yard field goal with eight seconds left as the University of Houston football team dropped a 37-35 decision to East Carolina Saturday in Conference USA action on John O'Quinn Field at Robertson Stadium.

Houston (2-2, 1-1 C-USA) came back from a 13-point deficit to get within two, but the Cougars saw their Robertson Stadium-record, six-game home winning streak come to an end. The Pirates (2-3, 1-1 C-USA) earned their fourth win in five tries in Houston.

Lawrence missed three field goals in the game, going wide left from 37 yards and wide right from 38-yards on Houston's final two drives of the game. He also had a 49-yard attempt blocked by ECU's C.J. Wilson with 2:24 left in the first half. Zack Slate recovered the block and ran it back 50 yards to the Houston 11-yard line.

ECU's Chris Johnson finished with 153 yards rushing on 24 carries with a pair of touchdowns to lead all players. He had TD runs of 13 yards in the second quarter and 43 yards midway through the third.

His 43-yard run put UH into a 34-21 hole with 8:15 left in the third quarter. On UH's next drive, Anthony Alridge scored a four-yard run with 4:26 left in the quarter to pull within 34-28, but ECU's Ben Hartman made the margin nine, 37-28, with his 33-yard field goal with 10 seconds left in the quarter.

On the ensuing kickoff, Donnie Avery ran the ball back 100 yards for a touchdown, tallying the third 100-yard return in UH history and fourth in C-USA history. Ricky Wilson (2003) and Ronnie Powledge (1963) are the two other Cougars to accomplish the feat.

The return closed out the scoring for the night as East Carolina was forced to punt on four of its last five drives. The Cougar defense came up big in the final quarter, holding the Pirates to 15 yards on their final five drives of the night.

Avery finished with a C-USA-record 350 all-purpose yards, eclipsing the previous league mark of 347, set by TCU's Cory Rodgers in 2004. Avery had 189 yards receiving, 161 return yards and three touchdowns.

After a slow start to the game, UH got on the board first with 3:33 left in the first quarter when Case Keenum found Avery on a 64-yard strike down the sideline. The Pirates answered seven seconds into the second quarter with Johnson's first touchdown run.

Keenum left the game in the second quarter with a bruised hand. He had 95 yards passing with a touchdown. He was replaced by Blake Joseph who finished 24-of-29 with 250 yards, 42 yards rushing and two touchdowns.

Joseph found Avery on a 36-yard touchdown pass with 7:38 left in the half and later connected with Alridge on a five-yard pass with nine seconds in the half to bring UH to within 21-20 at the half.

The Cougars rolled up 484 yards of total offense, had 23 first downs compared to ECU's 14 and controlled the time of possession 35:01 to 24:59.

Alridge finished with 94 yards rushing, 43 yards receiving and two touchdowns. Teric Williams had six catches for 53 yards.

Rocky Schwartz and Phillip Hunt led the defense with nine and eight tackles, respectively. Schwartz also forced a fumble. Brendan Pahulu finished the night with one-and-a-half sacks, two tackles for loss and an interception.

ECU's Quentin Cotton had 14 tackles, leading all players. He was one of four Pirates to tally double-digit stops, along with Pierre Bell (12), Travis Williams (10) and Van Eskridge (10).

Houston heads back on the road next week, facing No. 22/24 Alabama at 2:07 p.m. CDT in Bryant-Denny Stadium. Fans can hear the game live on 790 AM The Sports Animal with Tom Franklin calling the play-by-play action, Ted Pardee providing color analysis and Chuck Brown reporting from the sideline. The pregame show is slated to begin one hour before kickoff. Fans also can follow live stats and video by clicking on the GameTracker and All-Access links at UHCougars.com.

Houston's offensive numbers

Rushing No Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg

Alridge, Anthony 21 94 5 89 1 22 4.2

Ganaway, Terrance 8 28 0 28 0 7 3.5 thats stout

Joseph, Blake 12 42 15 27 0 18 2.2

Kohn, Andre 1 1 0 1 0 1 1.0

Gilbert, Chris 2 4 6 -2 0 4 -1.0

Keenum, Case 2 9 13 -4 0 9 -2.0

Totals... 46 178 39 139 1 22 3.0

Passing Att-Cmp-Int Yds TD Long Sack

Joseph, Blake 29-24-0 250 2 36 3[/color]stout

Keenum, Case 11-6-2 95 1 64 1 two quaterbacks?

Team 1-0-0 0 0 0 0

Totals... 41-30-2 345 3 64 4

Receiving No. Yds TD Long

----------------------------------------

Avery, Donnie 9 189 2 64

Williams, Teric 6 53 0 36

Alridge, Anthony 5 43 1 13

Harvey, Jeron 4 27 0 11

Hafner, Mark 3 24 0 16

Gilbert, Chris 1 4 0 4

McDaniel, Perry 1 3 0 3

Scourten, Wesley 1 2 0 2