"Fuzzy math" of the Hoover Report

DKW 86

"Fuzzy math" of the Hoover Report, Part I

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+++++++

"On Tuesday, May 30th, the day after Memorial Day, Terri Borie, the Peer Helping

Coordinator at HHS , received a call at home on her cell phone from University of

Alabama Assistant Football Coach Kevin Steele. Steele told Borie that he had learned

from University athletic department personnel that STUDENT #1 was “seven one thousandths” of a point below the core-course GPA required for NCAA eligibility....

From our examination, it appears to have been .07 (not .007) of a QPA short. There is no suggestion that the Alabama representative was asking for any change in STUDENT #1’s grades. (Yeah, right. Then why did he call her, to tell her Chapman wasn't going to play at Alabama?)

This was startling and shocking news to all of them because this student (who had passed all courses and had a school GPA going into his senior year of 2.66) had not been viewed as “at risk.”

"..., it was apparent that he needed to raise his GPA in core classes to meet the minimum required by the NCAA (2.0)...."

+++++++

So, how could a student drop from a 2.66 GPA to 1.99 in a year and be ineligible? He means "to play HS ball" folks...

Assume (and I know nothing of this school's grading system, or any other for that matter) this is a 4-year High School (Martin was the "9th Grade Asst. Principal," so that would be 9, 10,11,and 12th grades). If 1/4 of the work was done the Senior year (again I don't know for a fact at all, just estimating), then to drop from 2.66 to 1.99 he would have gotten NO QUALITY POINTS HIS SENIOR YEAR:

1.99 x 4 years = 7.96 minimum cumulative requirement

2.66 x 3 years + 0 4th year = 7.98

Since we know they were trying to pull a B up to an A, he would have had those quality points at least.

Something is fishy here. It is my math, or theirs?

The TRUTH. It's a wonderful thing. NCAA Anyone?

The TRUTH. It's a wonderful thing. NCAA Anyone?

Yeah, and don't forget that Mrs. Borie's husband is a bama Booster. He has said that he's had zero contact with KM and JC....Yeah, oookay.

Here's your Link bg about Mr. Borie's contacts with KM and JC.

Bama Booster

And David's obsession continues.

says a uat fan with nearly 11,000 posts on an AUBURN MESSAGE BOARD.

Hard to believe that the last Alabama win against Auburn PRE-DATES AUNATION.NET. Let alone BG's participation here. B)

Hard to believe that the last Alabama win against Auburn PRE-DATES AUNATION.NET. Let alone BG's participation here. B)

well, we were around before this edition of aunation that you see the dates of 2003. Those registrations in 2003 are the result of the move to a new server. We used to be War Eagle Nation. :) BG's obsession of Auburn goes back to when he was a student at uat and was posting as BS (B***Student) I refuse to type those 4 letters together for what they represent, thus the *'s :)

Yes, at one point in time, I was here and we had won 3 of 4 ;)

Wow, you're THAT OLD???

Who knew? :poke:

Steele told Borie that he had learned from University athletic department personnel that STUDENT #1 was “seven one thousandths” of a point below the core-course GPA required for NCAA eligibility....

From our examination, it appears to have been .07 (not .007) of a QPA short.

...just Bama math--Steele apparently doesn't understand decimals. :big:

That was back before Shula went all "lights out" on everybody and started recruiting all those first-round picks for the Bama O-line.

Archived