Saban on textbooks...

GalensGhost

Did AU players spend the money that was given to them in the "glitch" last year?

Oh, hell, here we go again....

Your house is on fire. Flames are roaring out of the windows and licking at the roof. But thanks for pointing out that at one time somebody flicked a lighter to light a candle in mine. Fire's fire, right?

i think the point was that you guys always say any wrongdoing at AU is an honest mistake and has been fixed. yet if it happens at UA, even if there isn't any information on exactly what happened, it is automatically a blatant disregard for the rules. and sure, i expect that slant here....but it doesn't mean we have to accept it. like i said in another thread, if we did something wrong the NCAA certainly isn't in any hurry to cover anything up for us and i hope those involved in any wrongdoing that might have occured are punished. but i'm not going to bust out the doom and gloom yet, especially when nobody here has any idea exactly what is going on. i do have to admit though, it is kind of fun watching some of you guys get all giddy and excited when the NCAA is brought up, then nothing happens.

Did AU players spend the money that was given to them in the "glitch" last year?

Your house is on fire. Flames are roaring out of the windows and licking at the roof. But thanks for pointing out that at one time somebody flicked a lighter to light a candle in mine. Fire's fire, right?

My house is hardly on fire. Textbooks? You better come with something more than that.

Sounds like nicky is describing lack of institutional control.

LOIC would be if it were never reported. And never handled.

Wrong. Your definition is called lying

LOIC means the systems are not in place to prevent one of the oldest ways for players to get extra benifits. Would also apply if it turns out that this has happened for more than one semster and involves more than one sport. I do not know if this is the case, nor am I suggesting it.

Wrong

From the NCAA bylaws

In determining whether there has been a lack of institutional control when a violation of NCAA

rules has been found it is necessary to ascertain what formal institutional policies and procedures

were in place at the time the violation of NCAA rules occurred and whether those policies and

procedures, if adequate, were being monitored and enforced. It is important that policies and

procedures be established so as to deter violations and not merely to discover their existence

after they have taken place. In a case where proper procedures exist and are appropriately

enforced, especially when they result in the prompt detection, investigation and reporting of the

violations in question, there may be no lack of institutional control although the individual or

individuals directly involved may be held responsible.

My house is hardly on fire. Textbooks? You better come with something more than that.

Improper contact

Illegal workouts

Changed grades

Plane rides

New kitchens

Textbook scams

It all adds up. Twas not the single straw which snapped the camel's back.

Sounds like nicky is describing lack of institutional control.

LOIC would be if it were never reported. And never handled.

Wrong. Your definition is called lying

LOIC means the systems are not in place to prevent one of the oldest ways for players to get extra benifits. Would also apply if it turns out that this has happened for more than one semster and involves more than one sport. I do not know if this is the case, nor am I suggesting it.

Wrong

From the NCAA bylaws

In determining whether there has been a lack of institutional control when a violation of NCAA

rules has been found it is necessary to ascertain what formal institutional policies and procedures

were in place at the time the violation of NCAA rules occurred and whether those policies and

procedures, if adequate, were being monitored and enforced. It is important that policies and

procedures be established so as to deter violations and not merely to discover their existence

after they have taken place. In a case where proper procedures exist and are appropriately

enforced, especially when they result in the prompt detection, investigation and reporting of the

violations in question, there may be no lack of institutional control although the individual or

individuals directly involved may be held responsible.

You made my point for me. If the policies are appropriate and being inforced then you are right. These policies seem to have so many loopholes that they were easily broken. The LOIC comes into play if it is found to be widespread and long occuring. If that is the case you can not argue that there was prompt detection our appropriate procedures.

i think the point was that you guys always say any wrongdoing at AU is an honest mistake and has been fixed. yet if it happens at UA, even if there isn't any information on exactly what happened, it is automatically a blatant disregard for the rules.

Wrongdoings at AU don't typically involve questionable character and lack of integrity.

Nick also put equal responsibility on the players for poor judgement.

I know you read that part.

And yes, the system is partly at fault, because it shouldn't be an option for them to do this.

When I was down there, my football friends didn't have money on their student ID to buy their books. They had a designated person in the bookstore who would get their books for them. It was a different line and everything. They didn't "buy" the books. They received the books based on their schedule of classes.

Why?

Can you not trust an Athlete to do the right thing?

That is pretty sad...don't you think?

It is very sad. Kids look up to athletes big time. Yet so often it seems like they feel above everything, including laws/regulations.

Athletes in general need to be brought back down to Earth. Our society in general places so much importance on entertainment often times I think a lot of people look the other way.

Yeah, what he said.

Signed,

The Ball State football squad

Yeah, what he said.

Signed,

The Ball State football squad

Ouch. :ua: = Ball State

FYI, I wouldn't be throwing rocks if I were you guys. I'll say no more.

OOOOOH. Do your top secret sources have some juicy scoop?

Didn't think so. Here ya go.

gib4.jpg

Speakin' of scoops...where's the ice cream???!!! :rolleyes:

:au::homer:

Look for the bamaham media, from the state's armpit, to start diggin' up a story....ANY story...to deflect attention off bookgate....soon.

I know that the facts to this point are sketchy and that we should wait for more info to come out, but I have a question. If the players are in fact receiving books they don't need for the purpose of selling them, the extra benefits are no longer external to university control. This isn't the buying recruits scandals that occur before a player gets to the school. The athletes are being benefited and the university is the vehicle of choice.

Not flaming, just saying...

I know that the facts to this point are sketchy and that we should wait for more info to come out, but I have a question. If the players are in fact receiving books they don't need for the purpose of selling them, the extra benefits are no longer external to university control. This isn't the buying recruits scandals that occur before a player gets to the school. The athletes are being benefited and the university is the vehicle of choice.

If this is the situation, then this goes beyond NCAA violations, it becomes a crime. Short of accusing these young men of a crime I think we are best served waiting on the clear explanation even though it is probably never going to come out.

If this is the situation, then this goes beyond NCAA violations, it becomes a crime. Short of accusing these young men of a crime I think we are best served waiting on the clear explanation even though it is probably never going to come out.

Not following the "crime" aspect here, but I agree that judgement should wait for whatever details might come out.

Not following the "crime" aspect here, but I agree that judgement should wait for whatever details might come out.

I too am amazed at how many people think they know what's going on.

I too am amazed at how many people think they know what's going on.

Please feel free to fill in the blanks...

Archived