Bowl situation for SPUAT

AU alum

If Mississippi State beats Ole Miss, Miss. State will have 7 wins.

If South Carolina beats Clemson, S. Carolina will have 7 wins.

If Auburn beats Alabama, Alabama will have 6 wins.

If those 3 things happen, all 9 bowl tie-ins the SEC has will be full. No bowl for Bammer.

Am I right?

The bowl business is so complicated it's pointless to go into it.

You have to factor in the possibility of LSU and Georgia getting BCS bids, which opens up an extra spot in one of the smaller bowls. Which means Bama's large fanbase would be very appealing to any small bowl.

Guest BoStillKnows

One of UA's six wins was against a Division 1AA team, which I believe does not count toward bowl eligibility.

:au: needs to whip them to keep them out of a bowl.

The Pac-10 may also not fill all of their spots so the Ft. Worth bowl could be looking for a replacement.

But let's just go Beat Bama and let the rest take care of itself.

Here is the summary:

You are mostly correct. If Bama has only 6 wins and the others have 7, Bama will not make a bowl, or at least not likely. Their IAA win does count. I know there is some rule about it counting ever X amount of years, but I haven't seen it affect the bowl system in the past, so I don't think it really exists.

To make a bowl, all SEC teams would get in over Bama because a bowl must pick a 7 win team over a 6 win team. Same goes for at-large births in out-of-tie-in games. If the Pac 10 misses a birth, even a 7 win Sun Belt team must get a bowl spot before a 6 win SEC team (or any conference for that matter).

That being said, in your scenario, I don't think Bama would make a bowl. But I don't see Clemson losing either...

Archived