Liberty Bowl - Alabama

AU alum

Looks like Alabama will be going to the Liberty Bowl. The Liberty Bowl will be played on the 25th anniversary of Bear's final bowl game against Illinois there and the Bryant family will take part in a ceremony at halftime there. Looks like $aban didn't get Alabama into a bowl, Bear did. I couldn't decide for the longest time if I wanted SPUAT's season to end at 6-6 and not go to a bowl or go to a bowl and end up 6-7. I've decided that 6-7 with another losing bowl performance will work for me. Auburn will get a % of whatever pittance the Liberty Bowl pays plus the satisfaction of knowing that Alabama is just making their stock go that much lower with the rest of the football world with another loss.

so Miss St gets screwed so bammers will have a chance to buy historical trinkets from the ballgame.

That's not tradition, that's marketing.

Looks like Alabama will be going to the Liberty Bowl. The Liberty Bowl will be played on the 25th anniversary of Bear's final bowl game against Illinois there and the Bryant family will take part in a ceremony at halftime there. Looks like $aban didn't get Alabama into a bowl, Bear did. I couldn't decide for the longest time if I wanted SPUAT's season to end at 6-6 and not go to a bowl or go to a bowl and end up 6-7. I've decided that 6-7 with another losing bowl performance will work for me. Auburn will get a % of whatever pittance the Liberty Bowl pays plus the satisfaction of knowing that Alabama is just making their stock go that much lower with the rest of the football world with another loss.

Do you have some kind of link for this? While this was conjecture about a week ago, the last I heard the Liberty was certainly not locked in on Alabama -- and MSU has to get a bowl before the Tide does.

so Miss St gets screwed so bammers will have a chance to buy historical trinkets from the ballgame.

Mississippi St. is supposed to go to the Independance Bowl, I think. Some bowl.

Do you have some kind of link for this? While this was conjecture about a week ago, the last I heard the Liberty was certainly not locked in on Alabama -- and MSU has to get a bowl before the Tide does.

It was in the Montgomery Advertiser today - the sports section for football games this weeked. This was like you said, conjecture stuff that Tim Gayle, the Alabama beat writer used to put in his column this week. He said that they "thought" the Liberty Bowl would go after SPUAT because of the Bear tie-in, since there were 4 teams Miss State, So Carolina, Kentucky, and SPUAT going after 3 bowls. He then said that he thought Miss State and Kentucky were sure bets for bowl bids and So. Carolina and SPUAT would be going after the 3rd bowl. He said that since So. Carolina had lost the last 5 games and SPUAT had lost the last four games, that the Bear connection would kick Alabama into the Liberty. I think that the bowl announcements were to be made next week sometime.

It was in the Montgomery Advertiser today - the sports section for football games this weeked. This was like you said, conjecture stuff that Tim Gayle, the Alabama beat writer used to put in his column this week. He said that they "thought" the Liberty Bowl would go after SPUAT because of the Bear tie-in, since there were 4 teams Miss State, So Carolina, Kentucky, and SPUAT going after 3 bowls. He then said that he thought Miss State and Kentucky were sure bets for bowl bids and So. Carolina and SPUAT would be going after the 3rd bowl. He said that since So. Carolina had lost the last 5 games and SPUAT had lost the last four games, that the Bear connection would kick Alabama into the Liberty. I think that the bowl announcements were to be made next week sometime.

Except that its really just a race between 2 schools - UAT and USC. Kentucky and MSU are guaranteed spots because they have winning records. I think UK is looking at a spot in the Music City Bowl, and of course MSU in the Independence.

I think UAT and the Liberty fit nicely - an old deteriorating bowl for and old deteriorating football program.

MSU will make it to a bowl because they have 7 wins. The new rules for bowls this season state that a team with 6 wins can't go to a bowl until all 7 win teams with tie-ins are selected. It's down to So. Car and UAT as to who will get the final SEC bowl spot.

MSU would have to turn down the Liberty Bowl first. The way the bids work now (as most of us, but apparently not the Montgomery Advertiser, know) is that 7-win teams have to get in first. The pecking order for the final games are basically the Music City, Liberty, and Independence all rank teams in order of preference, and sort it out after that.

In order for Bama to avoid the Independence, either the Music City or Liberty would have to leave MSU and Kentucky off the list altogether. If they put them on there at all, the Dogs and Cats would have to be assigned before that game. Since the MC and Liberty have hirer payouts, I can assure you MSU and UK will pursue those games first. Bottom line, if their ADs are remotely good, Bama's going to Shreveport.

Guys I'd take the loss if it meant another bowl game. Our youngsters could use the month of practice.

^

The reason I didn't want bama to have the opportunity. Come 'on though, we all knew bama was getting a bowl bid. This should come to no surprise to anyone.

Yeah, it's more important to get the practice, but there is no way you guys should get a nod over UK or MSU. It should be Shreveport or fingers crossed.

What is really sad is the whole "bahr" angle. As if anyone outside of west vance cares...................

I'm hoping that Bama will head to the Liberty Bowl, given that Central Florida won the C-USA title today. I work with a few UCF grads, and it would give me one more reason to root against the Tahd.

Yeah, it's more important to get the practice, but there is no way you guys should get a nod over UK or MSU. It should be Shreveport or fingers crossed.

I agree. I want us to get a bowl. But I think it should be after MSU and UK.

What is really sad is the whole "bahr" angle. As if anyone outside of west vance cares...................

http://www.google.com/trends?q=bear+bryant

Objective proof of the truth of the above statement. Look at the "cities" below and you will see that basically no one outside of Tuscaloosa cares about Bear Bryant, and certainly no one outside the state of Alabama cares.

I agree. I want us to get a bowl. But I think it should be after MSU and UK.

Not only SHOULD it be...It will be.....

UCF is a bad match up for Bama; it could get ugly. I'm not sure how getting blown out by UCF would help the "process."

It couldn't hurt it much more than getting beat at home to LaMonroe. :moon:

uat is NOT going to the liberty bowl. Officially its:

Central Florida vs. Miss. State

http://www.libertybowl.org/

not seeing where it says that...

wow...when I posted it they had the MSU Logo up on the site across from UCF. Now they have the SEC logo there? Guess we can retract the "official" statement. lol.

uat is NOT going to the liberty bowl. Officially its:

Central Florida vs. Miss. State

http://www.libertybowl.org/

not seeing where it says that...

They must have goofed. I definitely 200% saw it on there earlier in more than one place. Now they just have the SEC logo...

Maybe they could invite uat and force them to let Croom coach 'em. Lord knows they haven't had much of THAT lately.....

Archived