Question about Bama's Bowl Eligibility

rebdawg

To get to the magic number of six wins Bama had to count a win against 1AA Western Carolina. I know that teams get to do this once every four years. Isn't this the third time this decade that Bama has had to do this or is my memory fuzzy? If this is true then Bama may not actually be bowl eligible. Surely I am not the only one who has noticed this so I am thinking that maybe it has been four years since they last had to loop hole their into a bowl game.

To get to the magic number of six wins Bama had to count a win against 1AA Western Carolina. I know that teams get to do this once every four years. Isn't this the third time this decade that Bama has had to do this or is my memory fuzzy? If this is true then Bama may not actually be bowl eligible. Surely I am not the only one who has noticed this so I am thinking that maybe it has been four years since they last had to loop hole their into a bowl game.

you may want to let the Independence Bowl know, because they invited us.

Right. That is why I am asking. Clearly if they are not actually eligible then someone besides me would have caught it. Has the rule changed? Or has it been four years since Bama has had to count a 1AA win?

RWS, it is your team when was the last time they had to get 6 by way of 1AA?

Don't forget those two nailbiters against old mrs and houston!

Right. That is why I am asking. Clearly if they are not actually eligible then someone besides me would have caught it. Has the rule changed? Or has it been four years since Bama has had to count a 1AA win?

RWS, it is your team when was the last time they had to get 6 by way of 1AA?

i can't even remember the last time that might have happened. i'm not familiar with the rule, really.

in 03 we were 4-9 so we didn't go to a bowl. since then we have not had a scenario such as you described.

We won 6 games with a Western Carolina victory in 2004 to get bowl eligible. Being how that was only three years ago, I'm guessing the rule is no longer in play. I doubt very seriously the NCAA would allow any bowl to select a team not eligible.

I just got my answer. As Argo said, Bama had to count a 1AA win against this same Western Carolina team in 2004 to become eligible. That would make this year's Bama team ineligible had it not been for a recent rule change that allows a 1A team to count a win over one 1AA opponent every year. Changing that rule this summer is why Bama is getting to go bowling. Had the rule not changed they would be staying home.

I just got my answer. Bama had to count a 1AA win against this same Western Carolina team in 2004 to become eligible. That would make this year's Bama team ineligible had it not been for a recent rule change that allows a 1A team to count a win over one 1AA opponent every year. Changing that rule this summer is why Bama is getting to go bowling. Had the rule not changed they would be staying home.

oh yeah, forgot about WCU in 04.

ok so now the question is: Does WKU count as a I-AA opponent next year? They are moving up to I-A in 2009 and are adding scholarships right now. Things could get dicey next year.

Archived