Would you rather be Saban'd or Petrino'd?

bigsixfive

44 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather be

• Saban'd
    • Petrino'd

So Petrino saw that a wreck was about to happen. He was pretty sure the car was about to go off the bridge, so he jumped. He didn't go down with the ship, instead he was one of the first on the life boats. He steered the boat towards a deserted island, knowing that there would be a lot of work in the coming days, but that he would survive.

Saban, too, saw that a wreck was about to happen. However, he rode it out until the bitter end. Along the way, he bouced the car off a tree, then set it on course to careen over the side of the bridge... after he doused the back seat with gas. Then he jumped out. He knew the ship was sinking, but he drug it along side the iceburg before running for cover. On his way into the last life boat, he elbowed an old woman in the nose and tripped a girl scout. Her pregnant mom started yelling at him, and he stole her jacket. Then he jumped in the life boat and knocked everyone out. He tried to get some of his co-captains and shipmates to get in with him, but they'd rather take their chances in the water. He steered the boat towards the only island in sight, which was an old refuse site of the former USSR.

If you were in that car or on that boat, who would you want to be your driver? Would you rather be Saban'd or Petrino'd?

I picked Saban'd because I always thought that Saban wasn't 100% sure he wanted the Bama job. Therefore, the only thing he knew to do was to flat out deny it. I think he was attempting to protect the confidence and trust of the Dolphins. But in the end, as we all know, it backfired.

Petrino said, "Screw this I'm out." It was a clean break and an obvious slap in the face. Saban was just moronic in his way of handling it.

Well, I won't say its well documented, but its well known Saban and uat had been in serious discussions and he had informed them by mid-December that he wanted the job. Neither are solely responsible for the state their teams were in. However, Petrino got screwed by Vick. Saban oversaw a lot of the personnel changes himself for two years, and therefore, was much more responsible.

I picked Petrino'd, but its a tough call. Saban wanted to finish the year out with the Dolphins, which is understandable, but he completely botched it. Petrino ditched a team, but he didn't play any games. At the state both are/were in, I'd say Petrino'd so the organization and team can start planning for the next year.

You need to add another option, Bowden'd. That's when you quit on your team at 5PM the night before a game because you might get fired at the end of the season after running the flagship of the SEC into the ground and for knocking boots with the support staff, then you go crying to your daddy to go on national TV the next day and make it all better.

Well, I won't say its well documented, but its well known Saban and uat had been in serious discussions and he had informed them by mid-December that he wanted the job. Neither are solely responsible for the state their teams were in. However, Petrino got screwed by Vick. Saban oversaw a lot of the personnel changes himself for two years, and therefore, was much more responsible.

I picked Petrino'd, but its a tough call. Saban wanted to finish the year out with the Dolphins, which is understandable, but he completely botched it. Petrino ditched a team, but he didn't play any games. At the state both are/were in, I'd say Petrino'd so the organization and team can start planning for the next year.

I think I looked at it on more of a "how do I feel about the coach afterwards" manner.

For the sake of the team - Petrino'd 100%. The Falcons can start searching for a new coach - they've solidified the #2, possibly #1 if the Dolphins turn it on, pick in the draft. The team should be a bit fun to watch over the next few weeks. I mean, hell, how many trick plays do you think a team can run in one game? That's the route they should go for the rest of the season. It's pointless to try anything else. Might as well have fun while they're at it.

Regardless of how much you hate Bama, to compare Saban's deal with Miami to this is laughable. He waited until the season was over, not mid week after game 13. He met with his players and assitant coaches, even offered some of them jobs.

I'm AMAZED at what Petrino did. Burned absolutely every bridge he could in the NFL.

Regardless of how much you hate Bama, to compare Saban's deal with Miami to this is laughable. He waited until the season was over, not mid week after game 13. He met with his players and assitant coaches, even offered some of them jobs.

I'm AMAZED at what Petrino did. Burned absolutely every bridge he could in the NFL.

I didn't expect anything less. It is obvious that the guy is a great X's and O's coach, but his happy feet keep getting him in trouble. If the reports are true, I am completely disgusted by the way he told his assistants.

Hold on, let me get up off the floor from laughing so hard.....are you freakin' kidding me??? That is truely very, very funny! You are right, Petrino's was worse, but that is not saying much. If Petrino leaving he Falcons is the wose departure of a coach in NFL history (which it is), Sabans is RIGHT behind him at 2 or 3 (with Lou Holtz ironically). And there have been MANY coaches in the NFL. Think of it this way, if/when Saben gets fired from Bama, there is one place he could never coach again, and that is the NFL. Petrino too!

Hold on, let me get up off the floor from laughing so hard.....are you freakin' kidding me??? That is truely very, very funny! You are right, Petrino's was worse, but that is not saying much. If Petrino leaving he Falcons is the wose departure of a coach in NFL history (which it is), Sabans is RIGHT behind him at 2 or 3 (with Lou Holtz ironically). And there have been MANY coaches in the NFL. Think of it this way, if/when Saben gets fired from Bama, there is one place he could never coach again, and that is the NFL. Petrino too!

I'm sorry but actually waiting until the season is over to make a decision, sitting down and requesting the advice of the owner, talking to your assistants and players after your decision...is not comparable to leaving a day after you coached your 13th game in your 1st season...and phoning in your resignation.

...and phoning in your resignation.

Like from the Dolphins' cell phone?

I'd rather be Saban'd cause that would mean I would no longer be under his tyrannical rule and subjected to the embarrassment of constant PR snafus.

I'm sorry but actually waiting until the season is over to make a decision,

Except he knew mid December.

sitting down and requesting the advice of the owner,

Only to disrespect him by going behind his back, then throwing his advice in his face.

talking to your assistants and players after your decision...

That's right, after the decision was made as he was on the plane to Tuscaloosa.

is not comparable to leaving a day after you coached your 13th game in your 1st season...

Quitting isn't comparable to quitting? I guess two quitters have nothing in common. Right.

and phoning in your resignation.

Riiiing riiiing.

"Hello?"

"Hey Wayne, its Saban, aight."

"Hey. I can hardly hear you. What's that roaring in the background?"

"Oh, aight, I'm on a plane, aight."

"You on your way to New Orleans to discuss that possible trade for a draft spot?"

"Aight, I'm..."

Captain comes over the PA: "Saban, quit rocking so hard! You're shaking the plane! I'm losing control!"

"I WILL EAT YOUR KIDS IF YOU EVER TALK TO ME AGAIN, AIGHT!"

"Nick, what in the world?"

"Here's the deal, aight, Wayne. I'm out, aight, but I need to keep this phone, aight, for a little while."

Click.

In my opinion, Saban took a Miami program that needed some work and set fire to the thing.

Petrino took a franchinse that was doing well but needed that something extra and it fell apart before he even coached one game.

Both coaches knew what they were getting when they accepted the job, but Petrino got the shaft and Saban shafted Miami.

Im torn, Petrino was overly classless on his exit, but I am sure the Falcons told him that the Vick stuff was unfounded and that everything would go smoothly and it really didn't.

Actually he spent a lot of time talking over the issue with Wayne.

To be honest he and Wayne were totally open with each other. Saban just decided to leave based on what he could do at Miami and the possibility of losing his job in a year as a failure. Instead he went to a college giving him total power with his gaurenteed contract.

Petrino just bailed fast out of a bad situation without tact or class.

Neither one really deserves any more respect than the other.

I'm sorry but actually waiting until the season is over to make a decision,

Except he knew mid December.

sitting down and requesting the advice of the owner,

Only to disrespect him by going behind his back, then throwing his advice in his face.

talking to your assistants and players after your decision...

That's right, after the decision was made as he was on the plane to Tuscaloosa.

is not comparable to leaving a day after you coached your 13th game in your 1st season...

Quitting isn't comparable to quitting? I guess two quitters have nothing in common. Right.

and phoning in your resignation.

Riiiing riiiing.

"Hello?"

"Hey Wayne, its Saban, aight."

"Hey. I can hardly hear you. What's that roaring in the background?"

"Oh, aight, I'm on a plane, aight."

"You on your way to New Orleans to discuss that possible trade for a draft spot?"

"Aight, I'm..."

Captain comes over the PA: "Saban, quit rocking so hard! You're shaking the plane! I'm losing control!"

"I WILL EAT YOUR KIDS IF YOU EVER TALK TO ME AGAIN, AIGHT!"

"Nick, what in the world?"

"Here's the deal, aight, Wayne. I'm out, aight, but I need to keep this phone, aight, for a little while."

Click.

You need to fire your research department.

I'd say Petrino'd.

That way you can get the jump on looking for a coach before all of the college coaches are snapped up and before others are fired at the end of the season.

However, I think what Petrino did is absolutely disgraceful, to put it nicely. ESPN reported that he PHONED in his resignation. How little respect do you have for the organization that you can't even man up and go into the office and hand the GM a letter. How much integrity can one man lack? I think it is safe to say I might hate Petrino more than Saban now. I didn't think people had less wit or class than Saban, but then Petrino happened yesterday.

I'd choose neither. It's like chosing whether you want to be shot in the head or shot in the heart. Either way, you're screwed.

I agree with you that what Petrino did was worse but Saban did not tell his players or coaches face to face that he was leaving. He only told a select few he was leaving and that was by phone (i.e. Taylor and Thomas). He left the goodbyes to Wayne and Co.

They are close to the bottom of the pile in coaching resignatons. Bottom line!

Matter of fact, I'd say Petrino just Saban'd the Falcons. I think I may start using that word a lot:

"Did you just see that guy Saban that poor bastard? What a shame."

"I think I may Saban working out at the gym and start running 5 miles a day."

"I told that guy he could stick it up his Saban where the sun don't shine!"

:P

I think the only real difference between the two is that $aban waited around to get his full paycheck from the dolphins. He played them the last month or so. Wayne whatshisname seemed much more gracious. I'm not real sure he really wanted Nick to stay. He could have easily beaten bama's offer. Petrino and the falcons seem to be a much more bitter divorce.

You need to fire your research department.

I did embelish a little bit. The pilot wasn't really losing control of the plane, but it was shaking. Other than that, it's hard to fire God's honest truth.

Archived