The Illusion of the SuperCoach

DKW 86

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...mp;lid=tab7pos2

This season, under Nick Saban, the Crimson Tide went 6-6 and qualified for a minor bowl. Michigan and Arkansas just threw huge sums of money at new coaches Rich Rodriguez and Bobby Petrino -- and the odds are neither will preside over a significant improvement in performance because the odds are that no coach could do that!

If you covered the names and handed me the résumés of a Petrino-style coach and someone who has coached the same Division III school for a decade, then asked me which I wanted to run my team, I'd take the Division III guy in a heartbeat. By not endlessly job-hopping, he stayed in one place long enough to prove he was for real. Which brings us to TMQ's Law of Vagabond Coaches: When you hire a coach who's only in it for himself, you get a coach who's only in it for himself. In 2006, Petrino made a big public and contractual commitment to Louisville; six months later, he walked out on Louisville to make a big public and contractual commitment to the Atlanta Falcons; 11 months after that, he walked out on Atlanta to make a big public and contractual commitment to Arkansas. Dear University of Arkansas: If your new coach just betrayed his previous two employers, why do you think he will do well by you? (More on Petrino the Weasel below.) Petrino, Saban, Mike Price, Dennis Franchione, Chuck Fairbanks at New England, Bill Parcells at New England, now Rodriguez -- year in and year out, pro and college teams enthusiastically welcome as miracle workers coaches who have just broken their word elsewhere.

He sure is recruiting like a "Supercoach"........ :poke: We may have to turn down a projected 5 star in TJ Bryant. Ah, the process....... :big:

He sure is recruiting like a "Supercoach"........ :poke: We may have to turn down a projected 5 star in TJ Bryant. Ah, the process....... :big:

:roflol: awesome.

If indeed that is the case, which I doubt - wouldn't he be a "Superrecruiter"? I just don't think he has shown that he deserves the name "Supercoach". Yeah, yeah, I know that his team won the NC at LSU, but 1 season does not a "supercoach" make.

We may have to turn down a projected 5 star in TJ Bryant.

Where is the intelligence in that?

Lack of intelligence is also part of the process.

Hey, Bama rolls five deep under St. Nick....plus, they've already hit their quota of first rounders.

Lack of intelligence is also part of the process.

We bowlin', baby!

Hey, Bama rolls five deep under St. Nick....plus, they've already hit their quota of first rounders.

Don't you mean SIX deep

Archived