Tot gaining support

aubiescottie

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3162874

Report: WVU fans, boosters calling to support Bowden

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESPN.com news services

While Florida assistant Doc Holliday is being seen as a favorite to become the new football coach at West Virginia, another son of the Mountain State remains a popular candidate for the job.

Former Auburn coach Terry Bowden has been the beneficiary of a groundswell of public report, according to a report in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Bowden's father Bobby coached at West Virginia early in his career.

The newspaper reported that Bobby Bowden on Wednesday placed a telephone call on his son's behalf to West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin, while a number of boosters, fans and others called West Virginia administrators to express their support.

One source referred to it as an "all-out offensive," according to the newspaper.

The Mountaineers are seeking a replacement for Rich Rodriguez, who left for Michigan.

Holliday, who played linebacker at West Virginia and spent 17 years as an assistant under Don Nehlen, interviewed at the school Tuesday before returning to Florida, where the Gators are preparing for their Capital One Bowl matchup with Michigan.

"I went up and talked to them and that's about the extent of it," Holliday, the team's assistant head coach, said after practice Wednesday. "I've known those guys for a long time and had a chance to spend a little time with them.

"I have no idea [what the status of the search is], to be honest with you. I haven't heard from anybody up there."

Bowden also interviewed at West Virginia on Tuesday.

Only reason I really care is that they are the second game on the schedule.

If WV is dumb enough to give Tater Tot the job, I will look forward to squashing him next September.

One thing for sure, it would guarantee the game being on national TV.

If WV is dumb enough to give Tater Tot the job, I will look forward to squashing him next September.

One thing for sure, it would guarantee the game being on national TV.

It's on TV regardless.

He may do well there...until his recruits take the field........

Archived