Franklin to call offense in Atlanta.

WAR EAGLE!!!

By Jay Coulter

jccoulter@gmail.com

On Wednesday we learned a lot more about Auburn’s game plan for the Chick-Fil-A Bowl. After bringing Tony Franklin in from Troy to run the offense, Tommy Tuberville initially said Auburn would still run the West Coast offense for its game with Clemson.

Now the story is starting to change. At yesterday’s practice, Tuberville said that Franklin would now be responsible for play calling in Monday night’s game. Originally, Franklin’s role was to be that of an observer.

Quarterback Brandon Cox said he would start the game and get a majority of the snaps, but hinted that the other quarterbacks would also see action.

"Coach maybe said something about rotating, getting Kodi (Burns) in running some of the stuff," said Cox. "Maybe getting Blake (Field) or Neil (Caudle) in to see how they are, to start analyzing them for next year, see how they react. I am starting still. I'm playing until they bring somebody else in."

"We're gong to have a mixture of all of it," said Tuberville. "We need to run some of our old offense just to have some carryover."

"It's confusing, no doubt," said offensive lineman Ryan Pugh. "I guess a lot of times fans would say we looked really confused running the old offense.

"It will all get worked out. It just comes down to getting after people and playing hard no matter what offense you're running. It's all about players making plays."

This is an interesting development – and a risky one. I’m not a coach, but it seems risky to install a new offense in the 13th game of the year. No one expects a full blown spread offense, but it does appear we’ll see more than anticipated.

Ironically, Auburn was in a similar situation at the Peach Bowl in 1990. Clemson coach Tommy Bowden was brought in at season’s end by Pat Dye to run the offense. For the game against Indiana, Bowden had little influence on the game plan. This year things appear to be different.

King Dunlap’s career at Auburn is over. The senior left tackle is nursing a high ankle sprain and will not play against Clemson. Dunlap started 20 games for the Tigers, including six this year. He’ll be replaced by freshman Ryan Pugh.

Pugh will be starting his seventh game at the position and will be joined by fellow freshmen Chaz Ramsey and Lee Ziemba on the offensive line. Tuberville says he’ been pleased with the play of all three underclassmen.

"It's been a different experience for all of us," said Tuberville. "We like to bring them in and hold them back a year but I don't what we would have done if we hadn't had some of these freshmen come in and play and play well for us."

Linebacker Tray Blackmon’s status for the bowl game is still questionable. He continues to be hobbled by a sore knee. Still, Blackmon’s just happy to be at a bowl game. You will remember that last year, he was suspended for the Cotton Bowl.

Auburn returns to the practice field this morning at 11:00 CT. The 2007 Chick-fil-A Bowl will kick off at 6:30 p.m. CT and be televised nationally by ESPN.

http://trackemtigers.com/

Now I can understand KB and BC rotating, but I am not sure about BF, NC coming into the picture, that scares me a little. Anybody else have the same feeling???

I would rather see it now than see it in September.

B)

By no means saying it will happen, but having a confused bunch of players is the last thing we need.

Having confused fans is O.K., however.

I hope our players are confused. Maybe that means the other team wont know every play we are going to run before we run it.

I think it's a good thing. I like the idea frankly. I'd rather see it now, against another good team, and let it fly than watch Nall, and Ensminger waddle through CAB's offensive schemes. I want someone with authority and a definative nature calling HIS plays.

I'm all for it! :thumbsup:

I'm excited as well. I do want to win for recruiting purposes, but overall I think it is a great thing that we are getting such a head start on next season. We have so many players coming back next year, and they will all learn alot from this experience. Plus, if we get out there and sling the ball around a little more than usual and WIN then all those recruits out there might hop on board.

WAR DAMN TONY FRANKLIN!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, we're bringing in Randy Campbell for the whole second quarter, but we don't want to let that out yet.....

As long as he also has Lionel 'Little Train' James to pitch to, then we will be ok...

I don't believe that CTT is goiing to "sacrifice" this game to implement the "spread." I DO believe that both QB's will play and a small portion of the new offense (passing) will be included in the game plan. However, by and large, I look for us to continue to run the football, play defense, execute our kicking game and be fundamentally sound on both sides of the football. JMO.

I love the idea of playing other QB's,sorry but Brandon's days are over.Let's get started with something new and refreshing and exciting.This is something the offense has lacked for nearly two years(excitement).The more people we play and get into the play book,the better and deeper we will be.

Several other schools have no problem playing different QB's,let's be one of those schools from now on.I'm loving the idea,of having no idea what the offense is doing. :au:

I think this just may be a little nugget thrown out just before the game to give Clemson more to think about. Personally, I think they may have a couple of packages put together, but it won't be the basis of the offense. CTT has always been good at manipulating the media and this is a well timed comment directed toward Clemson.

I think this just may be a little nugget thrown out just before the game to give Clemson more to think about. Personally, I think they may have a couple of packages put together, but it won't be the basis of the offense. CTT has always been good at manipulating the media and this is a well timed comment directed toward Clemson.

Put me on this side of the fence. Other than maybe 4-5 new plays there simply isnt the time to add that much to the playbook.

Bingo! We have a winner. NO COACH can put in anything close to a "package", other than a handful of plays, in that short period of time...NO COACH...Just my humble opinion.....

I think you guys are going to be suprised. I thought the same thing when they hired Tony but I believe they have put together a game plan that won't look like anything we have seen this year. I think we are going to open up in the spread and start with the no huddle. You are right, NO COACH can put in a whole offensive philosophy in a couple of weeks, HOWEVER, they can put in an offensive game plan and I think this offensive game plan is going to include a bunch of spread and no huddle. I am excited about watching!

I agree that there is no way any coach can put together a whole new offense in just a couple of weeks - at any level of football we've played. This is college fottball, SEC football, and Auburn football we're talking about - and even though it's only been a couple of weeks of practice, it has been at 2 a day pace. I think we could be suprised with what we see.

For the record, I don't think we'll see anywhere near 100% CTFs offense, but I do think it'll be more than a few plays. My guess is 50%-60% CTF O.

I honestly could care less how much we see of the new offense.

I mean, you can't make Rosie 'Donnell look like a Victoria's Secret model in 8 or 9 days.

But you can photoshop. As long as there are a couple of plays that get us first downs, I'll be happy.

Rosie O. comparisons?...I JUST ATE...Thanks a lot....

Archived