Alabama recruiting (merged threads)

EllisHugh

I have to say thanks, for posting this. I really enjoyed getting another fanbase's point of view (even if yours is a little jilted). The rivals comment was dead on, and it would be a real slap in their collective faces if some of those big time recruits pulled the hat trick on ol satan come signing day.

He could be very wrong about McClain and some of the others. Auburn is still very much in the mix. Seems like he just looked over Auburn.

While I wish the article was dead on re. bama, I seriously doubt it. The writer is seeing the world thru gold glasses like bama sees crimson. Auburn has it's orange glass bloggers too so we really won't know how it all shakes out until Feb.6

http://www.bayoubengalblog.com/

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Schadenfreude About Bama Woes

Schadenfreude is a German word meaning "delighting in the misfortune of others," presumably others that one doesn't care for. It's not a particularly attractive human emotion, but it's not altogether rare, either.

And given the state of relations between LSU and Alabama fans, it's downright to be expected in Louisiana these days in light of what is happening to the Crimson Tide this week.

In short, Nick Saban's program at Alabama is on the verge of unraveling. Last week's evacuations from the Tide coaching staff of tight ends coach Ron Middleton, to a lateral position at Duke, and offensive coordinator Major Applewhite, to a lesser position (running backs coach) at Texas, brought home a reality we LSU fans were aware of while Saban was here - he can't keep assistant coaches very long.

But this week's events are bringing home another reality, one which was only starting to become the case at LSU - namely, that nobody wants to work for Saban.

Replacing Middleton was a pretty easy move for Alabama's $4 million a year coach. He just picked up the phone and called Bobby Williams, who has followed him to four different places now. Williams, an assistant who took over for Saban as head coach at Michigan State and promptly got himself fired in three years for driving the program into the dirt, coached wide receivers at LSU in 2004 and was nothing short of horrible. He then joined Saban with the Miami Dolphins and lasted two years and three weeks; the three weeks being the period between his turning down an opportunity to follow Saban to Alabama and his being bounced off the Dolphin staff by new coach Cam Cameron. And now the two are reunited again; one way to look at it is that Saban can't be long for Tuscaloosa, because when Williams shows up it's a harbinger of moving vans at the Saban household. :roflol:

Replacing Applewhite has been, shall we say, problematic.

The initial list put out by media wags and Forrest Gump-type internet geniuses in Alabama had names like Norm Chow, Jeff Brohm and Chris Hatcher on it. Chow took a job with Rick Neuheisel at UCLA, Brohm denied interest in Alabama and said he was staying at Louisville and Hatcher scoffed at the idea he'd leave a head coaching job at Georgia Southern to be an assistant at Alabama.

New names started popping up when the "A" list dried up. Michigan quarterbacks coach Scott Loeffler was floated as a candidate, and in fact the Gumpvine spat out that a presser was imminent to announce Loeffler, among whose claims to fame from 10 years coaching at Michigan were that he made Tom Brady a 6th round pick and developed Drew Henson and John Navarre, as the new offensive savior in Tuscaloosa. Except for one small problem - Loeffler took a gig with the Detroit Lions on Monday rather than join Saban.

No problem. Bama quickly set their sights on Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson, who survived Bill Callahan's firing and was one of two Cornhusker coaches Bo Pelini kept on staff when he took the job there. Except that didn't happen either, as Watson shot the idea down to stay in Lincoln. A crawfishing Saban then told the Huntsville paper that he didn't offer the job to Watson :rolleyes: , and that all Alabama did was ask for permission to speak to him. Which in all reality looks worse - Watson saw Bama coming and locked the door.

All of which led Saban to issue this rather familiar and amusing quote to the Alabama media on the search: "We're just going through a process. You guys know a lot more about it than I do. What I read in the paper is a lot more than I know."

This futility in hiring an offensive coordinator - at this point don't be surprised if Alabama turns to Freddie Kitchens as their new savior :o - has had repercussions in Bama's once-formidable recruiting class. The Tide is running out of steam. Last weekend after Applewhite left, blue-chip running back Aundre Dean from Katy, TX took a visit to Tuscaloosa and told one recruiting service he had a terrible visit there, it appears that quarterback Star Jackson from Lake Worth, FL, tabbed by many in the Gump community as a future Heisman winner for the Tide, is wavering badly on his Alabama commitment, and Mobile St. Paul's RB/WR/DB/LB superstar Mark Barron, arguably the best player in the Tide class of commitments, is now taking visits again, with a trip to LSU set for this weekend.

Barron apparently has been calling LSU tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator Josh Henson, who works the Gulf Coast from Pass Christian to Tallahassee for the Tigers, to inquire as to whether LSU still has room in the class. There is tremendous pressure on Barron to honor his Bama commitment, and reports say Barron's tuition at St. Paul's is being paid by a third party who is an Alabama fan (though not a booster). But LSU has lots of connections with Mobile and St. Paul's as well - besides the obvious JaMarcus Russell tie-in, Chevis Jackson (who is back in Mobile this week and doing well at practices for the Senior Bowl) is a St. Paul's alum and former Tiger Muskingum Barnes is an assistant coach there.

And last but not least, reports from Foley have it that wide receiver Julio Jones, the top-rated player in Alabama and one of the top five prospects in the country, who has been reputedly a Bama lock for a long time

test_opener_415x283.jpg

(and whose new bright-red Denali cuts a mean swath through town on a daily basis, prompting locals to ask where it came from), is no longer a lean to Alabama and in fact might be more of an Oklahoma-Florida State battle. This would be the unkindest cut of all, given that Saban is losing D.J. Hall, Keith Brown and Matt Caddell and needs receivers in the worst way.

Of course, Rivals.com can always reinflate Bama's recruiting class by up-rating their remaining commitments if Jackson, Barron and Jones don't end up in their class. If they can rate Robby Green a four-star recruit I'm sure they could rate him a five-star recruit to keep Bama in the top five.

Make Room For Liuget: For the last week or so, the names still out there LSU might add to its recruiting class have been pretty well known - DeAngelo Benton and DeAndre Brown are pretty likely, Terrelle Pryor is an intriguing possibility, Darrell Scott hasn't quite gone away, Antoine McClain makes sense, Lavar Edwards seems like a good bet, Barron now seems like a potential steal and T.J. Bryant is a possibility as well. But last night, a Rivals update on Hialeah, FL defensive end Cory Liuget (6-3, 260, 4.7), whose film is pretty serious stuff, let the cat out of the bag that LSU is now his leader. Liuget, rated a four-star player by Rivals and a member of the Miami Herald's All-Dade County team after ringing up 67 tackles and 11 sacks and running an interception back for a touchdown as a senior, has been an Illinois commitment since late October. Looks like LSU might be breaking Ron Zook's heart at the last minute.

while its entertaining, corndogs aren't any different than bammers so i'll take this for what its worth.

I agree :thumbsup:

I prefer having some 'Schadenfreude' about both.

Thanks for posting that Ellis. At least we can all agree on something...

It is good to see that Auburn fans aren't the only ones who see some of these things coming.

If only I could believe every bit of that.

Good read though.

For an Auburn fan that would be like Christmas, Easter and your Birthday all coming on the same day...

I have a feeling there is some truth and some myth to all of this, much like any speculation and rumor, but I'd be interested to see how the UA faithful or unfaithful, would react if there was a meltdown on signing day. They've hung their hat on Saban's recruiting prowess and if that proves not to be true, it could make for some interesting reading on the UA forums.

The biggest thing I have noticed at least here in Bammerham is that Gran's name is always mentioned when the sports goobers talk about the USA opening, but Steele's name is never mentioned. Gotta keep hope alive for the home team's 'crootin championship.

No problem. Bama quickly set their sights on Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson, who survived Bill Callahan's firing and was one of two Cornhusker coaches Bo Pelini kept on staff when he took the job there. Except that didn't happen either, as Watson shot the idea down to stay in Lincoln. A crawfishing Saban then told the Huntsville paper that he didn't offer the job to Watson, and that all Alabama did was ask for permission to speak to him. Which in all reality looks worse - Watson saw Bama coming and locked the door.

How did I know before using the link that PAUL GATTIS had written that article?

Bama is having a hard time getting the guys they want, but there are still lots of up and coming guys that would love to jump on that ship. Being an OC at a SEC school is a dream job even if it is for the tide, for lots of coaches out there.

Bama is having a hard time getting the guys they want, but there are still lots of up and coming guys that would love to jump on that ship. Being an OC at a SEC school is a dream job even if it is for the tide, for lots of coaches out there.

What up and comer would want to deal with Pendry and Saban constantly interfering? I think you'll see Pendry promoted to OC very soon.

That article looks strangely familiar...

Oh, yeah...

Yesterday's news

Sorry, didnt look for it in the football forum. Assumed it would be posted here in the Rivals Forum.

Moved one to here, merged them, and edited the name too.

Archived