And then there were 2 - Edwards out

RunInRed

With Edwards bowing out today, who benefits? Conventional wisdom says Obama will capture the anti-Clinton vote but Hillary could get a lot of the Union backing that was in the Edward's camp. Edwards has stated he will remain neutral, atleast for now.

So here we are at the end of January, and the process has widdle it down to Clinton, Obama, McCain and Romney. Let the fun and games begin.

With Edwards bowing out today, who benefits? Conventional wisdom says Obama will capture the anti-Clinton vote but Hillary could get a lot of the Union backing that was in the Edward's camp. Edwards has stated he will remain neutral, atleast for now.

So here we are at the end of January, and the process has widdle it down to Clinton, Obama, McCain and Romney. Let the fun and games begin.

Has he said who he'll endorse? My guess is that he'll endorse Obama, if anyone, and that may send most of his supporters his way.

He has stated that he will not endorse anyone at this time.

Of course, CCTAU would point out that the "white vote" he has been getting will go to Hillary.

Of course, CCTAU would point out that the "white vote" he has been getting will go to Hillary.

Not so fast. The males may not feel "comfortable" voting for a woman. It could be a wash.

This would be another example of you not making personal attacks wouldn't it?

You were only responding to what CCTAU had said! Oh wait CCTAU didn't respond in this thread.

This would be another example of you not making personal attacks wouldn't it?

You were only responding to what CCTAU had said! Oh wait CCTAU didn't respond in this thread.

It was in reference to what CCTAU said in another thread.

TigerMike - how is that a personal attack? If anything, I was reemphasizing CCTAU's point...geesh.

Anyways, a bit more info:

An aide said Edwards does not plan to endorse either Clinton or Obama at this time but he may do so in the future.

A top Edwards aide said the former senator contacted Obama and Clinton on Tuesday, telling them he was considering dropping out of the race and asking them to make poverty a top issue of their campaigns and -- if either reaches the White House -- a central part of their administration.

Both candidates agreed, the aide said.

Reacting to the expected announcement, Obama praised Edwards.

"At a time when our politics is too focused on who's up and who's down, he made a nation focus again on who matters -- the New Orleans child without a home, the West Virginia miner without a job, the families who live in that other America that is not seen or heard or talked about by our leaders in Washington," Obama said Wednesday.

Some political pundits predict Edwards' supporters are more likely to lean in Obama's direction.

"The conventional wisdom is that Barack Obama will pick up maybe 60 percent of them, and in some places, that makes a huge difference," former presidential adviser David Gergen said.

Time magazine journalist Joe Klein said, "I don't think he endorses Hillary Clinton. The question is whether or not he endorses Barack Obama."

Klein contends that Clinton "represents a lot of the things that [Edwards] campaigned against, you know, the old Washington Democratic establishment that he believes got too close to the corporations in the '90s."

Edwards had campaigned on the message that he was standing up for the little guy, the people who are not traditionally given a voice in Washington, and that he would do more to fight special interests.

TigerMike - how is that a personal attack? If anything, I was reemphasizing CCTAU's point...geesh.

Except that CCTAU didn't make a point in this thread.

Reasons and excuses are indistinguishable for some. Interchangeable for others.

Agh...so only points in active threads should be included in discussion. Thanks for clearing those board rules up for me.

Agh...so only points in active threads should be included in discussion. Thanks for clearing those board rules up for me.

It's not a board rule. It's just common sense. As I have noted before rationalization runs deep with you doesn't it?

Just out of curiousity...what specifically are we praying for? I've never understood these type of posts.

The event is sad/tragic/etc. But asking the masses to....

See if I respond to in this thread to a post you made in another thread there is a disconnect, it doesn't flow. But your above post does make some things clear, there is a lot you don't understand.

So long, John Edwards.

I've already requested a Democratic ballot to vote for him. I'm opposed to Obama because of his pro-tort reform stance, but will gladly cast my vote for him if I have a feeling that he will tab Edwards for VP.

Hear me out on this...

Why would Edwards drop out of the race before next Tuesday's primaries? Could it be that he has worked out a deal with the Obama campaign? His departure could all but lock up his nomination and possibly give Edwards another shot at the vice presidency. It's hard for me to believe that these two haven't been in cahoots for the past couple of days. I think the combination of the mythic leader, Obama, and the common man, Edwards, would be a tough team to beat in November.

It's not a board rule. It's just common sense. As I have noted before rationalization runs deep with you doesn't it?

Just out of curiousity...what specifically are we praying for? I've never understood these type of posts.

See if I respond to in this thread to a post you made in another thread there is a disconnect, it doesn't flow. But your above post does make some things clear, there is a lot you don't understand.

I understood what he was referring to and so would anyone following this forum for the last 24hrs. Pulling a nine day old post from an entirely different forum is hardly an accurate comparison and you charging anyone with making personal attacks is highly amusing, Mr. Pot.

I understood what he was referring to and so would anyone following this forum for the last 24hrs. Pulling a nine day old post from an entirely different forum is hardly an accurate comparison and you charging anyone with making personal attacks is highly amusing, Mr. Pot.

Mr. Kettle has spoken.

The comparison is there and it is not surprising that you don't like it.

Oh BTW Al there is a gay thread up and you haven't responded.

Mr. Kettle has spoken.

The comparison is there and it is not surprising that you don't like it.

Oh BTW Al there is a gay thread up and you haven't responded.

I didn't notice.

IMHO, Edwards would have made the best president of the lot.

Obama has me confused w/ his shady land dealings.

Clinton would do well, but it's all Washington insider rule again.

McCain will do what he thinks is right - all else be damned. We have that now, but the cowboy is not nearly as smart as McCain.

Willard is the representative of the wealthy.

Huckabee would make a great VP.

Mmmm, guess I won't vote today after all.

Don't waste your time with this guy.

Don't waste your time with this guy.

Who Mr. Pot or Mr. Kettle?

“There’s losing. There’s losing honorably. And then there’s John Edwards.” —Charles Krauthammer

“There’s losing. There’s losing honorably. And then there’s John Edwards.” —Charles Krauthammer

In response to whatever reference was made above, I'm not sure Edwards knows what a black person is unless he is representing one. So I'm not sure he had any black votes to begin with. Of course there is that homeless woman under the bridge in NO. She may have been black. But I'm not sure she can vote without a residence. But of the 97 or so he has represented in the past, I would say their vote will now go to osama Obama.

It's nice to idealize, but even if it's not politically correct, it still behooves folks to live in reality. The reality is that the majority of blacks will vote for osama Obama. But that's OK. It's the mexicans I'm worried about. The legal ones that is.They make up a larger percentage than blacks. I also wonder which of the dim candidates will get the terrorist vote.

Hmm. And now there is 2. A woman and a black man. Interesting that the party that tends to hold down both, only has a choice of one or the other now.

It's the mexicans I'm worried about. The legal ones that is.They make up a larger percentage than blacks. I also wonder which of the dim candidates will get the terrorist vote.

Did you know that there are Hispanic Americans that come from other countries besides Mexico?? Or are you just worried about those who are from Mexico?

It's the mexicans I'm worried about. The legal ones that is.They make up a larger percentage than blacks. I also wonder which of the dim candidates will get the terrorist vote.

Did you know that there are Hispanic Americans that come from other countries besides Mexico?? Or are you just worried about those who are from Mexico?

I have no idea what a hispanic American is. I thought you were either American or not?

The majority of the spanish speaking ones come from mexico. That's all I care about. The Colombians that live next door to me? They are here legally. And they speak damn good English.

I have no idea what a hispanic American is. I thought you were either American or not?

The majority of the spanish speaking ones come from mexico. That's all I care about. The Colombians that live next door to me? They are here legally. And they speak damn good English.

Here's a link to help you out.

Hispanic American

Archived