How many OL this year?

I'm sure we'll try to pick up 5-6 OL this year. I know we have our sights set on a couple of big names. I know one kid from Texas, and another from Utah. OL and Linebacker are our priorities this year. Sorry but, that's all I know.

Ryan

I'm sure we'll try to pick up 5-6 OL this year. I know we have our sights set on a couple of big names. I know one kid from Texas, and another from Utah. OL and Linebacker are our priorities this year. Sorry but, that's all I know.

Ryan

Better than nothin'.

I remember hearing about some big time kid from Texas and the Utah kid, but not much other than that.

I mean, our line is solid for another 2-3 years right now with what we've got, but I know we'll need to pull some this year, as always.

Stavion Lowe is the name of the guy in Texas. Looks like we are in pretty well with him, he really liked that our team is very Christian. I am worried that Texas A & M might be the team to beat with him. The guy from Utah [Xavier Su'a Filo] is a highly touted recruit and would be a good pickup. Other names to remember; Daniel Hood: Knoxville Tenn., Alex Bullard: Brentwood Tenn., Austin Long: Memphis Tenn., Eric Shrive:Scranton Penn., Johnnie Farms: Perry Ga., John Sullen: Auburn Ala., Lawrence Abrams: Madison Ala. Other than that I don't know of anyone else we might be looking at, or really how many we will take [a few of those guys are highly rated so we would probably take them no matter what] but some of those names will obviously end up being commitments elsewhere.

Thanks kt.

We had an amazing class two years ago, so expectations are high with the next one. I can't really just assume we'll have one like we did, but I can always hope.

We've done a damn good job of putting some big time OL in the pro's recently too, so that's got to help.

I mean, our line is solid for another 2-3 years right now with what we've got, but I know we'll need to pull some this year, as always.

This is true, but you have to look at the possible negative side. All of these guys will probably have the option to go pro early. I hope they don't, but you never know. Also, wouldn't hurt to have a solid backup at all positions so that the whole line doesn't play musical positions if the wrong guy is hurt.

This is true, but you have to look at the possible negative side. All of these guys will probably have the option to go pro early. I hope they don't, but you never know. Also, wouldn't hurt to have a solid backup at all positions so that the whole line doesn't play musical positions if the wrong guy is hurt.

OL leaving early? I think we have a lot bigger things to worry about.

We need Lb's and OL. We have a lot of Qb's and Wr's.

Brian Matthews was on sports call today. He said this is a LB rich year in recruiting and it just so happens to be a year we are in need of LBs. He said to expect around 5 or 6 LBs.

OL leaving early? I think we have a lot bigger things to worry about.

Just this year there were 7 OL that left early, so don't think it doesn't happen often.

ESPN draft recap

This includes OT, OG, & C. Comparing the senior OL to the ones that left early I noticed another point. Most all the seniors were redshirted their first year. All but one of the guys leaving early were not redshirted. Look at our highly esteemed OL from last year. There was a high percentage of freshmen. I know it isn't the end of the world to loose a lineman, but when you have a group that has been together for a while, a certain chemistry develops. Losing part of that can change the dynamics of the line. As we all know good linemen are the key to a good offense.

Another reason I think we may have problems with early OL departures is the new offense. They are big guys (as they should be). I don't know many big guys that want to run and hustle during every play, rush back to the huddle, make quick snaps and go again before they can count to 20. Since they are sprinting more than most lineman at other schools,I think some guys may jump early if the opportunity arises.

IF this new offense is as good as anticipated and the "wealth is spread" among many RB/WR/QB's then any particular "skill player" may not be as recognized as they would have been somewhere else. That success would depend heavily on a consistent line to provide opportunities to ALL those guys. If they (the linemen) are the common denominator, then they will get a lot of credit.

Again, this wouldn't mean the sky is falling, but it is a concern of mine.

I am always amazed at how poor UGA's OL depth has been the last few years.

Richt got really angry last off-season with how poor our OL was last year. He openly critcized himself and the staff for how poorly they did with recruiting the previous 2-3 years

It seems UGA really has a lot of OL that never pan out whatsoever

I would have thought that when big programs recruit OL, they eventually turn into solid players.....that was said poorly. Let me see, I guess I just assumed that recruiting OL was a low-risk position but it has come to be one very risky position for UGA

Need as many as possible

Archived