Election 2008 - - - - - - -

Tigermike

Three things to consider:

1. CBS NEWS reports that in a general election fight, McCain gets 18% of Democrats against Obama and 12% against Clinton. By contrast, Obama and Clinton take 11% and 10% of Republicans respectively.

2. In the Fox News/Opinion Dynamics poll, we find that McCain gets 22% of Democrats against Obama and 15% against Clinton. Meanwhile, Obama and Clinton take 13% and 6% of Republicans respectively.

3. Also check this out:

Some refuse to budge from candidates' corners

Democratic battle leads many to dig in for one or the other! Would they stay home or vote for a true American hero and the only one with the experience to lead the nation in these troubled times, Senator John McCain?

Democratic battle leads many to dig in for one or the other! Would they stay home or vote for a true American hero and the only one with the experience to lead the nation in these troubled times, Senator John McCain?

McCain is showing me that he doesn't have the judgment to lead my dog on a walk down the street, much less my county. I respect him for his service and former streak of independence, but he's now a cheap, knock-off version of what he used to be. The John McCain of 2000 is buried deep somewhere in South Carolina.

As far as the percentage of partisan votes, the situation is certainly not as cut and dried as you make it out to be. There are more Democrats in this nation right now than at any time over the previous six years. The remaining members of the GOP, despite there being so few in comparison, are known to be loyal to a fault and would probably vote for a howler monkey with Tourette's Syndrome before they would give the Democrat any consideration. I don't think anyone is expecting their votes, anyway.

When Obama gives that speech in Denver, it'll be lights out. No more drivel about Kentucky "Democrats" not supporting him, his refusal to wear a tacky lapel pin, or his big ears. If Independents voted for Kerry, albeit by a slim margin, they'll certainly break for Obama. Let McCain take the George Wallacites of the world, while Obama wins true progressives and moderates... on his way to 1600 Pennsylvania.

I think it's waaaaaayyyyyyyyy too early to tell. However, both the GOP and the Democrats have a way of shooting themselves in the foot. The GOP really had an amazing opportunity in 2000 and totally screwed the pooch. I mean did the all-time supremo botch job of all time.

Meanwhile, neither Obama nor Clinton are thowing themselves to be presidential timber either. Clinton is, well, Clinton. I think Obama is basically regurgitating Lyndon Johnson's Great Society all over again while saying all the nice bromides that are soothing and comforting to moderates.

Archived