Ideas to make Basketball games more appealing

autkidd

Just got an Email from a buddy that is Interning with the Marketing Dept. next year asking for ideas to discuss with Lebo for next year...

Give me your ideas and i'll pass them along.

Winning does wonders

The UGA fan base is all the sudden jumping onto the basketball bandwagon due to the NCAA appearence

If AU can somehow do the same, I expect AU's fan base to fall in love with the team

Yeah... But the goal is to build a passionate fanbase... not just a bandwagon fanbase.

The best idea I have is to encourage tailgating for the weekend games. College students will party for anything and I can guarantee more support at the games if a little drinking is done before the games...

A bandwagon fanbase is all you can really hope for at auburn. Passionate fanbases come from programs that have achieved success over an extended period of time (example: our football program, alabama rock paper scissors). Bottom line is that if we don't win, auburn fans become apathetic towards the basketball team. I'd love to see us simply compete for postseason play, that would do wonders for attendance. Until you win you're not going to get butts in the seats, it doesn't matter what gimmick Lebo comes up with.

Have your guy go down to Tallahassee for an FSU game. FSU has a little success every now and then but for the most part, a middle of the road ACC program at best. Living in Dothan, it's an easy drive to go pick up a game with Duke, UNC, Maryland etc. They've always done a fantastic job of keeping it jumping in there with lots of fan participation stuff.

They'll slingshot t-shirts in the stands. During time outs, they'll flash the camera in the stands and any couple they stop on (preferably boy/girl), has to kiss. Some get pretty crazy as you can imagine. They get fans out of the stands for all kinds of contests and the times I've been, there have been games out in the concourse, shooting baskets etc.

The P.A. music is loud and up to date and basically, the place stays rocking all night. Now granted, they do serve tall, frosty ones there so that helps.

While we do need some success; I do believe we can use "gimmicks" to build a passionate fanbase. We are Auburn; give us a little more credit please.

Lebo has to be involved in this though. Right now I would imagine half the campus would not be able to pick him out in a police line up. He is setting out to change this according to my buddy.

The atmosphere has changed for the better since I've gotten here... Alot has to do with just getting the word out when the games are. The marketing department has done a horrendous job at that.

But yeah the lady in charge is trying to do some things they do up at UNC... Although I'd imagine they don't have the problem that we do.

Two things can be done that you just touched on. Anyone who saw the special ESPN did on Bruce Pearl last year saw this guy leading cheers in a school cafeteria. Pearl made himself known and accessible to the student body and they now connect with him. Second, our local sports talk guy has been harping on this for years about both Lebo and Gottfried. They just don't get out and do the PR work. If either of them has been to Dothan, Alabama in the last 3-4 years, I sure haven't heard about it.

Get out and meet the people and let them get to know you. Promote the program and get folks excited about it. I know this is MANY years ago, but when I was a kid in Montgomery, Auburn used to come down to Jeff Davis H.S. and scrimmage. We would pack out the high school gym and watch the team up close and personal. Good stuff.

Another thing that I experienced at Cameron Indoor a few years ago. Many fans hang out after the game because the players and coaches get cleaned up and come back out to meet with fans, give autographs, pictures etc. I was a kid on Christmas morning getting my pic taken with Johnny Dawkins, Wojo and others.

Tuesday or Thursday nights...

If at all possible, Auburn needs to push to remove Wednesday night games. Sororities and Fraternities (used to) meet on Wednesday night.

Also to keep in mind, Thursday night is the start of the weekend for some, thus it is usually "party night." That could be a positive OR a negative with respect to the basketball program.

I agree that Lebo needs to get out and about more. We need Lebo to paint himself orange and run crazy up and down the concourse. We need Lebo to take part in a SGA sponsored (insert name here) Day. As it stands today, I'd say 50% of the Auburn students couldn't pick Lebo out of a lineup. Of that same group of students, I bet 95% pick Tuberville from an audio recording of him saying "Obamanu."

Go to YouTube and search for "Pat Burke." This former Auburn player has made quite a few funny videos mocking his own lack of playing time in the NBA. He's hilarious. I BET these videos are property of the Phoenix Suns. I can only speculate that these 5 minute comedy sketches are done during breaks at the game to entertain the audience. If not, they should be. Given the "viral video" culture we are in now, there's no reason that we couldn't put together some low-budget comedy bits that will keep people entertained. Think SNL Digital Shorts or, well anything on YouTube. I'm sure we've got some funny people in Auburn who would love to do SOMETHING clever.

The "flex cam" sponsored by Gold's Gym, and the "kiss cam" were a nice try, but were horribly executed. Those type of things are done for two reasons. 1. Crowd participation. 2. Loosening up the crowd. At Turner Field, the "kiss cam" shows all over the stadium. The camera only stays on this couple long enough to watch them kiss and BAM its on to the next couple. BAM. on to the next couple. I find myself glued to the Jumbotron JUST to see the next couple, the next idiot flexing, etc. I'm partially terrified it'll end up on me and my wife, and I'm partially excited that it will. The point is, the CAMERA dictates who gets on the Jumbotron, instantly people have to be on their toes to keep from being embarassed. Be ACTIVE in pushing the crowd, not PASSIVELY throwing a camera around to whomever is TRYING to get on TV.

More Aubie. Heck, give Aubie a zipline or something. Let Aubie star in some low-tech video presentations.

Ditch the Lebo's Lunatics. In fact ditch the whole Lebo's L______ idea. It reeks of being unoriginal and "me too." Though its basketball, we are still Auburn. We aren't the SEC's little brother saying "hey, can we play too?". Cliff Dwellers was funny. It avoided the Cliff's C___ thing and the group was ACTUALLY pretty involved in gameday planning. Alabama has "Mark's Madness" which is a glorious play on words from an established basketball phrase. We are a LOT of things at Auburn. Tigers. Eagles. Plainsmen. We are not Lunatics. And we're certainly not "crazy" about basketball.

Bring back "Tiger Meat! Tiger Meat!", or "Step, Step, Step, SIT DOWN, TIGER MEAT!" Embrace the enthusiasm of the students, but drown out the "You suck" that rings loudly from the rafters with some other phrase. My sister-in-law, who cares NOTHING about basketball still talks about how much she loved taunting the Alabama players when they sat down. (For the record, the AU/Bama b-ball game is the ONLY one she's been to.)

Let the Students have some fun taunting. Let them know its OKAY to mock the other team, as long as there is an established line that is not crossed. Let the crowd REALLY get crazy.

Shut off the top levels during the late fall games. We're not going to have 10k, so let's not have 10k seats available for sale. Sell only 2-4k and see what happens. Oh, wow! You mean there's a law of supplly and demand?

Also pyrotechnics are cool.

Go watch some minor league baseball games this summer and take notes. They've practically INVENTED the "make something out of nothing" style of crowd entertainment.

Nostalgia from the 90's is pretty big right now. I don't know how that applies to basketball, but I'm sure someone could figure it out. Maybe Legos.

I could keep going.

Tuesday or Thursday nights...

If at all possible, Auburn needs to push to remove Wednesday night games. Sororities and Fraternities (used to) meet on Wednesday night.

This ain't happening. Wed. night is the night for the SEC games.. Gives enough time to rest for Sat. games. Plus the women's games are Thurs. nights. How about work with the frats to change the time of the meetings? AND MAKE THEM STAY!!! Too many times it is double spirit points" and they leave at halftime. Make them sign in and out. and can only get the points if they sign in before the game and after the game."

Also to keep in mind, Thursday night is the start of the weekend for some, thus it is usually "party night." That could be a positive OR a negative with respect to the basketball program.

I agree that Lebo needs to get out and about more. We need Lebo to paint himself orange and run crazy up and down the concourse. We need Lebo to take part in a SGA sponsored (insert name here) Day. As it stands today, I'd say 50% of the Auburn students couldn't pick Lebo out of a lineup. Of that same group of students, I bet 95% pick Tuberville from an audio recording of him saying "Obamanu."

[/b]I would not like to see Lebo painted up but he does need to be out more.

Go to YouTube and search for "Pat Burke." This former Auburn player has made quite a few funny videos mocking his own lack of playing time in the NBA. He's hilarious. I BET these videos are property of the Phoenix Suns. I can only speculate that these 5 minute comedy sketches are done during breaks at the game to entertain the audience. If not, they should be. Given the "viral video" culture we are in now, there's no reason that we couldn't put together some low-budget comedy bits that will keep people entertained. Think SNL Digital Shorts or, well anything on YouTube. I'm sure we've got some funny people in Auburn who would love to do SOMETHING clever.

This a very good idea. I like it. I'll pass it on.

The "flex cam" sponsored by Gold's Gym, and the "kiss cam" were a nice try, but were horribly executed. Those type of things are done for two reasons. 1. Crowd participation. 2. Loosening up the crowd. At Turner Field, the "kiss cam" shows all over the stadium. The camera only stays on this couple long enough to watch them kiss and BAM its on to the next couple. BAM. on to the next couple. I find myself glued to the Jumbotron JUST to see the next couple, the next idiot flexing, etc. I'm partially terrified it'll end up on me and my wife, and I'm partially excited that it will. The point is, the CAMERA dictates who gets on the Jumbotron, instantly people have to be on their toes to keep from being embarassed. Be ACTIVE in pushing the crowd, not PASSIVELY throwing a camera around to whomever is TRYING to get on TV.

They do a pretty good job as it is at this.

More Aubie. Heck, give Aubie a zipline or something. Let Aubie star in some low-tech video presentations.

A zipline from the upper deck... AUsome

Ditch the Lebo's Lunatics. In fact ditch the whole Lebo's L______ idea. It reeks of being unoriginal and "me too." Though its basketball, we are still Auburn. We aren't the SEC's little brother saying "hey, can we play too?". Cliff Dwellers was funny. It avoided the Cliff's C___ thing and the group was ACTUALLY pretty involved in gameday planning. Alabama has "Mark's Madness" which is a glorious play on words from an established basketball phrase. We are a LOT of things at Auburn. Tigers. Eagles. Plainsmen. We are not Lunatics. And we're certainly not "crazy" about basketball.

My buddies that are gonna be back next year are taking steps already to be more involved with everything regarding the games and marketing. One of them is even a marketing intern that pass on this email to me.

Bring back "Tiger Meat! Tiger Meat!", or "Step, Step, Step, SIT DOWN, TIGER MEAT!" Embrace the enthusiasm of the students, but drown out the "You suck" that rings loudly from the rafters with some other phrase. My sister-in-law, who cares NOTHING about basketball still talks about how much she loved taunting the Alabama players when they sat down. (For the record, the AU/Bama b-ball game is the ONLY one she's been to.)

Let the Students have some fun taunting. Let them know its OKAY to mock the other team, as long as there is an established line that is not crossed. Let the crowd REALLY get crazy.

Very important. The biggest draw with basketball is with how close you are to the game play. We taunted players all year. Even to the point of making fun of a South Carolina's Ass. Coach's hair and the loads of gel he had in it. All the players were laughing the whole time and helping us taunt him. To another time of making fun of a guys tattoo (very bad job) in which he let us know it was actually a picture of his brother.

Basketball games are fun. We need to prove this the students

Shut off the top levels during the late fall games. We're not going to have 10k, so let's not have 10k seats available for sale. Sell only 2-4k and see what happens. Oh, wow! You mean there's a law of supplly and demand?

I've said this since I've been here. And they did it for a few games in the fall... Should be continued. Also force everyone to move close to the floor... and fill from the bottom up.

Also pyrotechnics are cool.

Who could argue with this

Go watch some minor league baseball games this summer and take notes. They've practically INVENTED the "make something out of nothing" style of crowd entertainment.

Nostalgia from the 90's is pretty big right now. I don't know how that applies to basketball, but I'm sure someone could figure it out. Maybe Legos.

I could keep going.

I like your ideas. I'll pass them on.

Have your guy go down to Tallahassee for an FSU game. FSU has a little success every now and then but for the most part, a middle of the road ACC program at best. Living in Dothan, it's an easy drive to go pick up a game with Duke, UNC, Maryland etc. They've always done a fantastic job of keeping it jumping in there with lots of fan participation stuff.

They'll slingshot t-shirts in the stands. During time outs, they'll flash the camera in the stands and any couple they stop on (preferably boy/girl), has to kiss. Some get pretty crazy as you can imagine. They get fans out of the stands for all kinds of contests and the times I've been, there have been games out in the concourse, shooting baskets etc.

The P.A. music is loud and up to date and basically, the place stays rocking all night. Now granted, they do serve tall, frosty ones there so that helps.

Jenn Sterger in attendence?

Don't act like you don't know who I'm talking about.

Jenn Sterger in attendence?

Don't act like you don't know who I'm talking about.

Honestly, you got me. More info please

Let's get Lucas Hargrove's head printed up and put everywhere on campus.

I also like the idea of having the team and/or coaches participating in playing an active role on campus occasionally to boost up support for the team.

I would like to see the Lunatics more of an organized club too, with meetings and such.

one word: strippers

that gives new meaning to the lunatics "make it rain" shirts.

I hated those shirts... So stupid... Whoever thought of that should be fired...

Please let that brillant idea be Slater's.

I hated those shirts... So stupid... Whoever thought of that should be fired...

Please let that brillant idea be Slater's.

Heh...rain would definitely help out Slater's record.

To the original topic, promotions and trying to create a good atmosphere don't hurt, but winning consistently is the only thing that is going to put asses in seats on a regular basis at :au:.

PChump is an ass and he is in a seat sometimes at BEMC, so they are doing something right down there.

My main suggestion is already happening - a new arena.

That will do wonders.

Archived