As was mentioned before

TitanTiger

So we're measuring the seriousness or relative danger of a murder by proximity to the victim now?

No, the likelihood of it occurring in the first place

Here's the thing...making it illegal to own a gun with isn't going to stop people who want to kill. They'll use a knife or some other weapon like this guy did to kill 7 people and wound 10 more. Or they'll just acquire and use a gun illegally since they are, you know, criminals.

Here's the thing...making it illegal to own a gun with isn't going to stop people who want to kill. They'll use a knife or some other weapon like this guy did to kill 7 people and wound 10 more. Or they'll just acquire and use a gun illegally since they are, you know, criminals.

Not arguing with that. But if you were in a crowd, would you rather face a knife-wielding mad man, or a uzi-wielding mad man? What if Charles Whitman had gone to the tower with a box of knives? Or the DC sniper?

NOTE: I believe in the right to bear arms.

Not arguing with that. But if you were in a crowd, would you rather face a knife-wielding mad man, or a uzi-wielding mad man? What if Charles Whitman had gone to the tower with a box of knives? Or the DC sniper?

I like my chances of getting away from a knife-wielding one better, but then again, when the weapon changes so do the tactics. I get more warning as long as I'm not right next to the gunman because I hear the pops from far away. Some guy stabbing people may take off running the crowd and you don't realize what's even happening til he runs by you and decides to take a hack. If he's a real pro and the crowd is really tight and thick and maybe it's at night, he could take out some folks before anyone really knows what's happening.

Point being, either way, people who want to kill a bunch of other people will get it done one way or the other. And in the case of guns, they'll just do so with impunity if they know all the law-abiding folks are virtually guaranteed to be unarmed.

If you don't think you can do some serious damage with just a cutting object...think about how box cutters led to two big buildings in NYC collapsing.

I know it's a very loose argument. But the point remains. You can kill with either. Removing the weapon doesn't remove the motivation.

Crazy weapons don't kill people. Crazy people kill people. Second try.

Really. A mad vendor could kill and injure a random bunch of folks in New York, Singapore, or anywhere with poison food or drink.

Most gun related deaths in this country do not involve uzi's or fully automatic weapons. The average crazy person will choose whatever is closest. Fully autos are hard to get. With that being said, it's a tossup as to whether I choose gun or knife. A lot of folks believe you have a better chance with a bullet than with a knife. Knives tend to go in and cut things that bleed out quickly. A bullet can pass through and give you more time to get to help. But they are both deadly weapons. My hope is that the crazy guy gives me just enough time to draw and fire. That way, nobody beyond me gets hurt. And just think if someone around the first victim was armed, it could have been stopped there. Imagine all citizens looking out for each other. Hmmmm. Novel idea.

Archived