Is the Bama Coaching Job a jinx?

Hoopie

Here's a question for you in regards to curry...

Would you rather have a guy who goes 8-4/7-5 one year, but wins you the SEC conference title 2 out of every 5...and a national title every once in a while...

Or a guy who goes 9-3 every year?

Ok, I can't help it. I'm one of those that would rather win the championships. The 9 wins sound so good right now because of what we have been through, but I like the championships. People don't remember good seasons that long, but we're still living off the 1992 championship. So championships for me just last longer.

I thought BG was going the route of replacing Curry with Stallings was a move in the right direction. However, I find it hard to believe that 9-3 being a norm, you would never see a SEC title. A better than average year, doesn't have much room for improvement.

In case you guys are missing it, he is comparing CTT to CNS. CTT goes like 9-3 like every year, while Saban has had a few 7-5 seasons, but won the SEC and MNC.

Actually I wasn't. CTT isn't part of this comparison. The last few seasons he's put up at Auburn have changed my opinion of him as a coach and a program manager. I think he's light years ahead of Curry. I think he coaches in a league that has MUCH more talent top to bottom and isn't just top heavy...like it was in 89.

Curry would get decimated in the SEC today.

I was really just trying to show that there are two ways to look at it. Some would honestly rather have the 9-3 guy. And I can appreciate that. I'm just not one of those people.

Just an addendum...I think CTT is a far superior all around person as well. Curry has run Alabama into the dirt every chance he's gotten on air. It smells of sour grapes and I think he's lost a lot of face because of it. I just don't see CTT pissing and moaning about any school the way Curry has with UA.

Curry was 0-3 vs. Auburn during his time in t-town but it wasn't like Auburn sucked those 3 years. I've always thought that those were some of Auburn's best teams. (especially defensively) From 1987-89 they were 29-5-2.

Would you rather have a guy who goes 8-4/7-5 one year, but wins you the SEC conference title 2 out of every 5...and a national title every once in a while...

Ok, I can't help it. I'm one of those that would rather win the championships. The 9 wins sound so good right now because of what we have been through, but I like the championships. People don't remember good seasons that long, but we're still living off the 1992 championship. So championships for me just last longer.

I thought BG was going the route of replacing Curry with Stallings was a move in the right direction. However, I find it hard to believe that 9-3 being a norm, you would never see a SEC title. A better than average year, doesn't have much room for improvement.

In case you guys are missing it, he is comparing CTT to CNS. CTT goes like 9-3 like every year, while Saban has had a few 7-5 seasons, but won the SEC and MNC.

Actually I wasn't. CTT isn't part of this comparison. The last few seasons he's put up at Auburn have changed my opinion of him as a coach and a program manager. I think he's light years ahead of Curry. I think he coaches in a league that has MUCH more talent top to bottom and isn't just top heavy...like it was in 89.

I was really just trying to show that there are two ways to look at it. Some would honestly rather have the 9-3 guy. And I can appreciate that. I'm just not one of those people.

Just an addendum...I think CTT is a far superior all around person as well. Curry has run Alabama into the dirt every chance he's gotten on air. It smells of sour grapes and I think he's lost a lot of face because of it. I just don't see CTT pissing and moaning about any school the way Curry has with UA.

I've not noticed his sour grapes towards Bama....of course I'm not looking for it or sensitive to it. I remember him going on about Bama's tradition, will to win and intensity of the fans(maybe that had a double meaning and I wasnt' looking for it).

Curry got owned while at UK when the SEC was very top heavy with UF and UT and then everybody else for much of the 1990's. The Bama job is not a jinx, just one where the coach is always under a huge microscope with extremely high expectations. Every coach since Bryant has left the Capstone with a winning record, even if they have been just one game above .500 like Dubose and Shula. Now back to Finebaum bashing.

I've not noticed his sour grapes towards Bama....of course I'm not looking for it or sensitive to it. I remember him going on about Bama's tradition, will to win and intensity of the fans(maybe that had a double meaning and I wasnt' looking for it).

I have. He seems to never let an opportunity to comment slip by.

Bear Bryant couldn't dominate in the SEC today like he did back then. The recruiting rules that promote parity and the popularity of SECFB coupled with the SEC facilites arms race makes a successful football program about much more than X's, O's and making men out of boys.

I suppose USC, Ohio St. and Oklahoma each rule their league, but those leagues don't compare. The SEC is more similar to Pro Football.

When it's all said and done bama's savior will be hated by them more than Fran and Perkins combined. Bet on it.....

Wow, is this kind of hate for Shula really that common among the SPUAT fanbase? I mean he wasnt a great coach, but he did ok.

Yes, they eat their own. I grew up a Bama fan in the 1960''s-early 70's. I attended AU in 75 through the Barfield years and fell in love with AU b/c of the spirit of AU. Bammers have a self-induced arrogance that at times causes neurosis. I was an AU fan that would secretly root for Bama until they dumped Stallings. After that, as the neuroses continued to surface I at first felt sorry for them. As their coaching carosel continued to implode and the fan base got more caustic and arrogant, my pity turned to contempt. The final straw for me was the rediculous spin put out by the Bama AD that claimed 12 MNC's and the fans that ate it up. As I learned how Bear Bryant recruited, reported and controlled the SEC with his dirty tactics, I lost respect even for the Bama acomplishments that I worshipped as a kid.

Welcome back from the dark side. My parents were Bamars. UGH.... :)

:au::homer:

You can't really make the comparison, 9-3 vs bad with a championship... because 9-3 will win championships. It's a silly argument.

What gets me is losing to Auburn got Curry run out of Alabama (his record vs Auburn was even mentioned in this thread by a bammer) yet we constantly get accused of only caring about the Alabama game and they only care about championship. I betcha a dollar that if Shula had been 4-0 vs Auburn instead of 0-4, he'd be the coach today.

Now, as for the topic, the real jinx coaching job is South Carolina. No head coach at South Carolina has ever gone on to be head coach at another Div I college. Sparky Woods and Spurrier (when he eventually moves on) are the only coaches who have a chance at breaking that streak. Both my parents are alums and I gotta tell ya, it's a hard life being a USC fan.

I agree with the South Carolina job, there has never been a streak of any worth at that school. They have never had a period of time they were very good. Alabama had most of the 60's and the 70's, Georgia had the early 80's while Auburn had the late 80's, UT and UF owned the 90's.

Now, as for the topic, the real jinx coaching job is South Carolina. No head coach at South Carolina has ever gone on to be head coach at another Div I college. Sparky Woods and Spurrier (when he eventually moves on) are the only coaches who have a chance at breaking that streak. Both my parents are alums and I gotta tell ya, it's a hard life being a USC fan.

I think when Spurrier gets tired of USC he'll retire for good this time, not move on... Maybe do some broadcasting, but mostly just play golf.

You can't really make the comparison, 9-3 vs bad with a championship... because 9-3 will win championships. It's a silly argument.

What gets me is losing to Auburn got Curry run out of Alabama (his record vs Auburn was even mentioned in this thread by a bammer) yet we constantly get accused of only caring about the Alabama game and they only care about championship. I betcha a dollar that if Shula had been 4-0 vs Auburn instead of 0-4, he'd be the coach today.

One thing can be said about South Carolina and Kentucky fans. They are loyal. They show up every week and they support their teams, and sometimes they get so close. They never seem to lose the faith, and that is what makes a good fan. We Bama fans complain about a few bad years(even with Shula we had a 10 win season)look at what South Carolina did Lou Holtz first year, but they still supported the team and showed up every week. I admire that in those fans. It's been hard for us Bama fans the last few years, but I always want to support my team and whoever the coach is no matter what. People may talk about us, and we may shoot ourselves in the foot on occasion, but this is my team and I support it.

One thing can be said about South Carolina and Kentucky fans. They are loyal. They show up every week and they support their teams, and sometimes they get so close. They never seem to lose the faith, and that is what makes a good fan. We Bama fans complain about a few bad years(even with Shula we had a 10 win season)look at what South Carolina did Lou Holtz first year, but they still supported the team and showed up every week. I admire that in those fans. It's been hard for us Bama fans the last few years, but I always want to support my team and whoever the coach is no matter what. People may talk about us, and we may shoot ourselves in the foot on occasion, but this is my team and I support it.

South Carolina's fanbase is so over-rated

Their own fans on CockyTalk call themselves over-rated. I have read several threads where people talk about the fans showing up late, leaving early, etc....and many just not showing up period even though the numbers apparently don't show that.

Another thread talks about stadium upgrades and several posters talk about how they can't even fill most of their seats for small to middle games.

I give them credit for showing up period considering how pathetic their history is but their fan base isn't any more loyal than yours or mine

Archived