Is the Bama Coaching Job a jinx?

Hoopie

This is Paul Finebaum's article in Tuesday's Press-Register. First of all, this guy should only put out an article once a month b/c that is only about as often that he has something significant to say. He spews..........just to get something into print.

He makes a valid point that Bama hired some bad coaches and that is why those guys failed after leaving Bama.....OK (Dubose, Shula). Then he goes into some kind of explanation that after having been in the glare of the Bama coaching spotlight, the coaches can't perform because of the effects of the glare. He even tries to say that the Bama coaching job is second only to Notre Dame. What a homer! There is no national glare..only national ridicule of the neurotic Alabama fans. The "glare" on these coaches has come from the Bama insiders. I suppose that coaching under a constant fear of being eaten by your own could cause future "issues".

The problem with the exBama coaches is the "Bammers"......"champ-e-yun-ship demanding fans" that still compare all coaches to the Bear, even if the fan was born after 1982. Why was Gene Stalling runoff? Why was Curry runoff? Curry won and recruited well. Stallings won the MNC with Curry's players. GT won the MNC with Curry's players. Don't blame Curry for not winning at Kentucky.....he didn't coach Basketball. Coach Fran left the Bama madness so quick that he jumped into more madness at aTm . Price..........was Priceless.

A successful coaching relationship depends on timing, chemistry, winning and patience. AU now has that relationship with CTT (as long as the BOT keeps away). The Bammers seem to want that relationship with CN$.....will CN$ reciprocate? I will admit that the $1 mil endowed "academic" scholly is a start.

PF is a coward for claiming Curry will be a failure b/c unless Curry wins a championship, PF will say I told you so. PF is setting up a future article wherein he will pretend to look like a genius. The Bammers will, like always, eat it up.

Bill Curry is a good starting coach for Ga. St. He is organized, has impeccable character, is a good recruiter and has a name. that's enough to start a program and that should be the goal for now. He won't take them to lofty heights....he's 65 and in 3-7 years will retire.

Enough of my ramblings, here's the article:

Is Bama a jinx on coaches?

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

When I heard the news the other day that Bill Curry had accepted the head-coach position at Georgia State, I didn't feel happy for him. I didn't say "bravo" because a 65-year-old loser as a coach wanted to keep working and trying to influence young men in a start-up program.

Instead, I felt sad.

All I thought was here we had another coach trying to undo the damage of a miserable career and try ing to exit college football on a high.

What's really remarkable is that now yet another former Alabama head football coach has landed in yet an other truly horrendous job. It makes you wonder if Alabama now hasn't ended up on the completely opposite side from Miami of Ohio, which is often referred to as the Cradle of Coaches because so many famous ones worked there before going on to greatness.

Make room for a new saying: The University of Alabama — Coaching Graveyard.

Is Alabama a jinx job? Does the pressure of the position beat coaches down so much that they are hardly ever the same again? Or has Alabama made (mostly) a series of bumbling choices over these past 25 years?

Alabama has had seven men come and go since 1983 — Ray Perkins, Bill Curry, Gene Stallings, Mike DuBose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Price and Mike Shula. Stallings stayed the longest — seven years. Price was there only five months.

Most have stumbled badly in the post-Alabama years.

Perkins bolted Alabama and was fired after four years with the Tampa Bay Bucs. He had one more fling as a head coach, a forgettable season at Arkansas State. He was an assistant for several NFL clubs before finally retiring.

Curry left Alabama for Kentucky, where he was a complete, colossal bust. He was fired in 1996 and has spent the past 11 years putting football audiences to sleep on a regular basis at ESPN with his puerile clichés and his spurious self-righteousness.

After winning an incredible 70 games in seven years, Stallings retired (well, was pushed out) in 1996 before making several attempts to get back into coaching (including at Alabama after Price was fired, and at Baylor). Today he remains a rancher in Texas.

DuBose had a series of high school jobs, one assistant college post and now is the head coach at Millsaps, where he is 15-6 after two years.

Franchione had moderate success at Texas A&M before the bottom fell out. He was fired at the end of the 2007 season and is out of coaching.

Price has done reasonably well in oblivion at UTEP, while Shula has been an assistant with the Jacksonville Jaguars since his unceremonious exit from Alabama.

So the question begs being asked: Does something happen to a coach at Alabama that puts a jinx on the rest of his career? Is it more difficult after leaving such a large stage ever to coach anywhere else again successfully?

Or has the school simply made so many colossal mistakes since Bear Bryant that the results of most of these men are simply inevitable?

Besides obvious horrific hires (Curry, DuBose and Shula), my sense is there is probably a little of post-Alabama syndrome at work with all of these people. There is hardly a bigger fish bowl in college football (with the possible exception of Notre Dame). However, I think the bottom line is the majority of these coaches should have never been hired in the first place.

In every situation, or so it seems, the school made the wrong choice.

Stallings should have been hired instead of Perkins in 1982. Bobby Bowden should have been hired in stead of Curry in 1987. Both men would have likely had long and memorable stays in Tuscaloosa.

Stallings was a great fit in 1990, although some thought Howard Schnellenberger would have been better.

In 1996, Frank Beamer was clearly a better choice than DuBose. But Alabama fans flooded Bob Bockrath's fax machine and the school made a momentous blunder.

Butch Davis was on the verge of taking the job in 2000 until the NCAA sanctions story leaked out. Franchione was a quality coach, just a bad fit.

Interestingly, Price wasn't a bad choice either (although some believe Jim Leavitt would have been better). Sly Croom or Richard Williamson would have been a much better choice than Shula in 2003 following Price's firing. But then again, who wouldn't have been?

So here we are again, another former Alabama head coach trying to rewrite history and perhaps erase the Alabama jinx.

We certainly wish Bill Curry the best at Georgia State. Curry took this job for money and obviously wowed a very gullible president (see Alabama's Joab Thomas 21 years ago). But history shows there is no way this story will have a happy ending.

ssssssssshhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Dont tell them this stuff, it will make their heads explode!

:lol:

This is Paul Finebaum's article in Tuesday's Press-Register. First of all, this guy should only put out an article once a month b/c that is only about as often that he has something significant to say. He spews..........just to get something into print.

He makes a valid point that Bama hired some bad coaches and that is why those guys failed after leaving Bama.....OK (Dubose, Shula). Then he goes into some kind of explanation that after having been in the glare of the Bama coaching spotlight, the coaches can't perform because of the effects of the glare. He even tries to say that the Bama coaching job is second only to Notre Dame. What a homer! There is no national glare..only national ridicule of the neurotic Alabama fans. The "glare" on these coaches has come from the Bama insiders. I suppose that coaching under a constant fear of being eaten by your own could cause future "issues".

The problem with the exBama coaches is the "Bammers"......"champ-e-yun-ship demanding fans" that still compare all coaches to the Bear, even if the fan was born after 1982. Why was Gene Stalling runoff? Why was Curry runoff? Curry won and recruited well. Stallings won the MNC with Curry's players. GT won the MNC with Curry's players. Don't blame Curry for not winning at Kentucky.....he didn't coach Basketball. Coach Fran left the Bama madness so quick that he jumped into more madness at aTm . Price..........was Priceless.

A successful coaching relationship depends on timing, chemistry, winning and patience. AU now has that relationship with CTT (as long as the BOT keeps away). The Bammers seem to want that relationship with CN$.....will CN$ reciprocate? I will admit that the $1 mil endowed "academic" scholly is a start.

PF is a coward for claiming Curry will be a failure b/c unless Curry wins a championship, PF will say I told you so. PF is setting up a future article wherein he will pretend to look like a genius. The Bammers will, like always, eat it up.

Bill Curry is a good starting coach for Ga. St. He is organized, has impeccable character, is a good recruiter and has a name. that's enough to start a program and that should be the goal for now. He won't take them to lofty heights....he's 65 and in 3-7 years will retire.

Enough of my ramblings, here's the article:

Is Bama a jinx on coaches?

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

When I heard the news the other day that Bill Curry had accepted the head-coach position at Georgia State, I didn't feel happy for him. I didn't say "bravo" because a 65-year-old loser as a coach wanted to keep working and trying to influence young men in a start-up program.

Instead, I felt sad.

All I thought was here we had another coach trying to undo the damage of a miserable career and try ing to exit college football on a high.

What's really remarkable is that now yet another former Alabama head football coach has landed in yet an other truly horrendous job. It makes you wonder if Alabama now hasn't ended up on the completely opposite side from Miami of Ohio, which is often referred to as the Cradle of Coaches because so many famous ones worked there before going on to greatness.

Make room for a new saying: The University of Alabama — Coaching Graveyard.

Is Alabama a jinx job? Does the pressure of the position beat coaches down so much that they are hardly ever the same again? Or has Alabama made (mostly) a series of bumbling choices over these past 25 years?

Alabama has had seven men come and go since 1983 — Ray Perkins, Bill Curry, Gene Stallings, Mike DuBose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Price and Mike Shula. Stallings stayed the longest — seven years. Price was there only five months.

Most have stumbled badly in the post-Alabama years.

Perkins bolted Alabama and was fired after four years with the Tampa Bay Bucs. He had one more fling as a head coach, a forgettable season at Arkansas State. He was an assistant for several NFL clubs before finally retiring.

Curry left Alabama for Kentucky, where he was a complete, colossal bust. He was fired in 1996 and has spent the past 11 years putting football audiences to sleep on a regular basis at ESPN with his puerile clichés and his spurious self-righteousness.

After winning an incredible 70 games in seven years, Stallings retired (well, was pushed out) in 1996 before making several attempts to get back into coaching (including at Alabama after Price was fired, and at Baylor). Today he remains a rancher in Texas.

DuBose had a series of high school jobs, one assistant college post and now is the head coach at Millsaps, where he is 15-6 after two years.

Franchione had moderate success at Texas A&M before the bottom fell out. He was fired at the end of the 2007 season and is out of coaching.

Price has done reasonably well in oblivion at UTEP, while Shula has been an assistant with the Jacksonville Jaguars since his unceremonious exit from Alabama.

So the question begs being asked: Does something happen to a coach at Alabama that puts a jinx on the rest of his career? Is it more difficult after leaving such a large stage ever to coach anywhere else again successfully?

Or has the school simply made so many colossal mistakes since Bear Bryant that the results of most of these men are simply inevitable?

Besides obvious horrific hires (Curry, DuBose and Shula), my sense is there is probably a little of post-Alabama syndrome at work with all of these people. There is hardly a bigger fish bowl in college football (with the possible exception of Notre Dame). However, I think the bottom line is the majority of these coaches should have never been hired in the first place.

In every situation, or so it seems, the school made the wrong choice.

Stallings should have been hired instead of Perkins in 1982. Bobby Bowden should have been hired in stead of Curry in 1987. Both men would have likely had long and memorable stays in Tuscaloosa.

Stallings was a great fit in 1990, although some thought Howard Schnellenberger would have been better.

In 1996, Frank Beamer was clearly a better choice than DuBose. But Alabama fans flooded Bob Bockrath's fax machine and the school made a momentous blunder.

Butch Davis was on the verge of taking the job in 2000 until the NCAA sanctions story leaked out. Franchione was a quality coach, just a bad fit.

Interestingly, Price wasn't a bad choice either (although some believe Jim Leavitt would have been better). Sly Croom or Richard Williamson would have been a much better choice than Shula in 2003 following Price's firing. But then again, who wouldn't have been?

So here we are again, another former Alabama head coach trying to rewrite history and perhaps erase the Alabama jinx.

We certainly wish Bill Curry the best at Georgia State. Curry took this job for money and obviously wowed a very gullible president (see Alabama's Joab Thomas 21 years ago). But history shows there is no way this story will have a happy ending.

Is he setting the stage for when $aban fails and leaves, he can say "I told you it would happen".

I live in Ga. and don't have to worry about steering clear of the PF radio show. I do read his 2 articles a week (online) and am amazed at his genius for manipulating the ignorant Bammers. Over time, he posts articles on different sides of the same issues and then later refers back to them as if he is a genius. He keeps the Bammers coming back for more by fluctuating between stroking their ego and then smacking them with his contrived reality.

Wow, is this kind of hate for Shula really that common among the SPUAT fanbase? I mean he wasnt a great coach, but he did ok.

Wow, is this kind of hate for Shula really that common among the SPUAT fanbase? I mean he wasnt a great coach, but he did ok.

Yes, they eat their own. I grew up a Bama fan in the 1960''s-early 70's. I attended AU in 75 through the Barfield years and fell in love with AU b/c of the spirit of AU. Bammers have a self-induced arrogance that at times causes neurosis. I was an AU fan that would secretly root for Bama until they dumped Stallings. After that, as the neuroses continued to surface I at first felt sorry for them. As their coaching carosel continued to implode and the fan base got more caustic and arrogant, my pity turned to contempt. The final straw for me was the rediculous spin put out by the Bama AD that claimed 12 MNC's and the fans that ate it up. As I learned how Bear Bryant recruited, reported and controlled the SEC with his dirty tactics, I lost respect even for the Bama acomplishments that I worshipped as a kid.

Sounds to me like he's setting Coach $ up, so that when he falls.....he can sit back and say, "Well, I told you so, I TOLD YOU that it'd come to this, but none of you fans would take Heed to my Warning." Then he'd slam his headset down and go to commercial break for about an hour.

The funny thing is, Bama fans think that Shula destroyed the UAT football program by losing so many games. They began saying this just a few months after they were worshipping and mobbing the guy at SEC Media Days at the Wynfrey. Anyone else remember this coach mania even before $aban was a blip on the radar? Then they turn on the guy when he did only slightly worse than predicted for 2006.

No Bammers, Mike Shula didn't put your program in the hole that it was in, you did it yourselves when you paid for players. Bama fans HATE Mike Shula, especially now that they have $aban who hasn't done much better on the field. When $aban leaves, expect to see him get the same kind of treatment that Shula got.

Ryan

Wait, you guys tell us EVERYTIME we have a coach here...the whole time he's here...that he sucks at life and can't coach his way out of a paper sack.

But now, all of the sudden, they are all GREAT coaches who are just ruined by mean ol' bama?

Give me a freaking BREAK.

Curry was a 9 win guy at best. Never gonna do better over the long haul.

Stallings didn't see the writing on the wall with his 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense so he decided to leave instead of fighting the system. Said later that he would happily return to coach after the Dubose and Fran fiascos. One of the most beloved figures in Bama history.

Dubose was a s***ty coach and a cheater.

Fran was WAAAAAAY too neurotic for this job. And couldn't handle the spotlight.

Shula was in over his head but an all around nice guy. Not cut out for head coaching. Really good position coach. Similarly, Dubose was a decent D guy.

Wait, you guys tell us EVERYTIME we have a coach here...the whole time he's here...that he sucks at life and can't coach his way out of a paper sack.

But now, all of the sudden, they are all GREAT coaches who are just ruined by mean ol' bama?

Stallings didn't see the writing on the wall with his 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense so he decided to leave instead of fighting the system. Said later that he would happily return to coach after the Dubose and Fran fiascos. One of the most beloved figures in Bama history.

Dubose was a s***ty coach and a cheater.

Fran was WAAAAAAY too neurotic for this job. And couldn't handle the spotlight.

Shula was in over his head but an all around nice guy. Not cut out for head coaching. Really good position coach. Similarly, Dubose was a decent D guy.

My point is that Bama excoaches are affected by the negative experience created by the neurotic Bama fanbase/kingpins. You eat your own. If EVERY coaching hire was a mistake then why don't you get rid of the guy making the mistakes........ah!....the kingpins rule. Typical Bammer response...."The rest of the world is wrong and we know what we're doing". Do you ever wonder why the rest of the CFB world around the USA laffs at you? No, you don't because BAMMMERS ARE ARROGANT!, or is it just ignorance?

My inability to contain contempt probably warrants this post being moved to the Woodshed.

I think the difference is we see your coach as a 6.5 out of 10 from the beginning and you guys see him as a 10 in the beginning and a 1 at the end.

We may not be super impressed by a guy but when you swing crazily from 10 to 1 and we remain at the same 6.5 it looks to you like we are flip flopping when in fact its your nutty fanbase trying to cope with not winning a national championship or heck, 8 games is the one flip flopping.

I think CTT is about an 8.5. He loses points for being stubborn and playing an offense that struggles to win from behind more than one score. When he leaves I will still think he was an 8.5. Saban IMO is a 7. Loses points for bad attitude to staff and poor game time calls. When he leaves I will still think he is a 7 unless he actually fixes the Alabama organization and then MAYBE he will step up a notch or two.

I think the difference is we see your coach as a 6.5 out of 10 from the beginning and you guys see him as a 10 in the beginning and a 1 at the end.

We may not be super impressed by a guy but when you swing crazily from 10 to 1 and we remain at the same 6.5 it looks to you like we are flip flopping when in fact its your nutty fanbase trying to cope with not winning a national championship or heck, 8 games is the one flip flopping.

I think CTT is about an 8.5. He loses points for being stubborn and playing an offense that struggles to win from behind more than one score. When he leaves I will still think he was an 8.5. Saban IMO is a 7. Loses points for bad attitude to staff and poor game time calls. When he leaves I will still think he is a 7 unless he actually fixes the Alabama organization and then MAYBE he will step up a notch or two.

23458408.jpg

Guys trust me on this....the sooner you purge yourself of all things Finebaum, the happier you will be. Swear off Finebaum and you will start noticing birds chirping in the trees, wind chimes jingling in the rustling breeze, kittens playing in the grass.....and life will be great.

DO IT!

Yet he has the best winning percentage of any Bama coach since Bear, 26-10 or 72.2 %. Even Gene Stallings only hit 71.3% (62-25) in the win column at Bama.

Also, per Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Curry

During his tenure at Georgia Tech, Curry led his team to a 9-2-1 record in 1985 and a win in the All-American Bowl. For his efforts, Bill Curry was named the ACC Coach of the Year in 1985 by the Associated Press and the ACC Sports Writers.

After posting a 10-1 regular season record, his 1989 Crimson Tide squad shared the Southeastern Conference title with Auburn and Tennessee, and earned the berth in the 1990 USF&G Sugar Bowl[1] where they lost to the University of Miami. As a result the 1989 season, Bill Curry was honored as the SEC Coach of the Year by the Associated Press. (Only to be run off to Kentucky within the year) He was also the recipient of the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Award. Curry's three-year record of 26-10-0 gave him the highest winning percentage among Alabama coaches since Bear Bryant.[2]

Of course, he was 0-3 against us, but hey, that 's better than Shula's 0-4!

I do note, however, that you say he'd never do better "over the long haul". A reasonable argument, perhaps, but also moot: Since when does Bama keep any coach "over the long haul" these days? :poke::big:

This is not true. Most of the Bama fans do not hate Coach Shula, and were not in agreement for him to be fired. Remember it is not the fans that get to make that choice. I have always said that the University was in the wrong for ever hiring Coach Shula or any other person that had never been a head coach. I think that it would take a rare person to be a great head coach of a large university when he has never even been an assistant coach at a university. Everything is different at the pro level because there is no recruiting and very little disclipine, and this level is all that Coach Shula knows. I truly hated the way that he was treated here, because he was one of our own and truly loved the university. His wife loved Tuscaloosa, and would have liked to stay here and raise their children. I think that he is better off where he is, and maybe one day he will be able to forgive us.

Hey, I didn't even want to fire Mike Price. I figure if his wife could forgive him, then I certainly could. I would have liked to see what he could have done here with the team. The players were behind him a 100%, and that means a lot.

The fans did not push out Coach Stallings. That was administration that made him feel like he had to leave, because I think that the majority of the fans would have liked him to stay forever.

From a personal point of view, there are only 2 coaches that we have had since coach Bryant that I was glad when they left, and that was Perkins and Dubose.

So when you guys say that the Bama fan base hated coaches and wanted them gone, please be aware that most of the decisions that were made to get rid of coaches did not come from the fans, and I certainly don't give a rats.... about what Paul Finebaum has to say. He hated Coach Shula, and that's because he would not give him the time of day, or even act like he knew who he was, and that made Finebaum mad.

Here's a question for you in regards to curry...

Would you rather have a guy who goes 8-4/7-5 one year, but wins you the SEC conference title 2 out of every 5...and a national title every once in a while...

Or a guy who goes 9-3 every year?

Would you rather have a guy who goes 8-4/7-5 one year, but wins you the SEC conference title 2 out of every 5...and a national title every once in a while...

Ok, I can't help it. I'm one of those that would rather win the championships. The 9 wins sound so good right now because of what we have been through, but I like the championships. People don't remember good seasons that long, but we're still living off the 1992 championship. So championships for me just last longer.

Ok, I can't help it. I'm one of those that would rather win the championships. The 9 wins sound so good right now because of what we have been through, but I like the championships. People don't remember good seasons that long, but we're still living off the 1992 championship. So championships for me just last longer.

Did anybody else just see a bammer fan admit in writing to living in the past?

I thought BG was going the route of replacing Curry with Stallings was a move in the right direction. However, I find it hard to believe that 9-3 being a norm, you would never see a SEC title. A better than average year, doesn't have much room for improvement.

I thought BG was going the route of replacing Curry with Stallings was a move in the right direction. However, I find it hard to believe that 9-3 being a norm, you would never see a SEC title. A better than average year, doesn't have much room for improvement.

In case you guys are missing it, he is comparing CTT to CNS. CTT goes like 9-3 like every year, while Saban has had a few 7-5 seasons, but won the SEC and MNC.

Did anybody else just see a bammer fan admit in writing to living in the past?

Sure, I admit it. We haven't had anything recently to crow about, so you use what you have, ya know.

How long do you think that Auburn fans will talk about the perfect season and how you should have gotten to play for the championship? There are certain years and times that we will always remember, and I believe just as in life you should always remember the good years. If that's living in the past so be it, and until something better happens that's just how it will be. No matter how long it is before another championship, do you not think it will be compared to the 1992 one. Suppose(notice I just said suppose...no prediction here) that Bama wins a championship in 2010, do you not think that it would be compared to the 1992 season/team? You can't have a future without a past, and if the past is better than the present, well I believe you should enjoy what you can.

Bama fans are considered to be living in the past because we love Coach Bryant. Well, I believe that a lot of that is out of respect for the man and what he did here. You may not respect him, but we do, and that is how it should be. Frankly, if Coach Tuberville stays at Auburn 10 more years and won several championships for you, and did more than any other coach has ever done for you. Can you not say how 25 years after he has gone, and you've not had any coach that came close to his record that you would not feel the same way that we do? Bama fans would give you a hard time about it, but it would not matter, because he was your coach and you loved and respected him, and frankly it does not matter what the other fans think. Well, that's living in the past, and I think that all fans do it. Even if they are having great seasons now, they still can remember other ones and compare.

I thought PF was banned from this site?

Some folks demanded him back on here.

Hey guys..if Pf is banned from here then let me know and I won't post his inane stuff again. It's June, It's hot and I'm bored and weak, so stop me if necessary.

Archived