Police deposition: Johns sold cocaine in the UA football complex parking lot

DKW 86

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2008/06/police...hns_sold_c.html

Police deposition: Johns sold cocaine in the UA football complex parking lot

Posted by Ian R. Rapoport -- Birmingham News June 25, 2008 4:04 PM

Categories: Football

Well, I just got through reading through pages and pages of documents I picked up in the Tuscaloosa District Court Clerk's Office related to the case of former Alabama football player Jimmy Johns. There are depositions, warrants, and paperwork for the bonds. The "Deposition and Charge Sheets" show all the alleged cocaine buys made by confidential informants working for the West Alabama Narcotics Squad.

Next to the scene of one of Jimmy Johns' alleged crimes.Using Warrant # WR08-1790 in Case # 080620003, the sale Johns alleged made on June 17 jumps right off the page. According to the paperwork, Johns sold approximately 1 gram of cocaine to "a cooperating individual who was working under the direction of WANTF agents." The police say they have audio and video recordings of it all.

So where did this transaction take place?

At 1102 Coliseum Drive. That's the parking lot of Alabama football complex, right by Thomas-Drew Practice Fields. Yes, Johns allegedly sold cocaine in the UA football complex parking lot.

Unbelievable.

FTFY. No, it is totally believable. You have to have zero respect for your COACH, team, university, and yourself to be doing this in the football complex parking lot!!!!!! If I was CNS, I would be worried that a few of my players just dont seem to give him any respect at all.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/in...&thispage=2

As for the NCAA rules violation, Johns' image was all over a Web site that boasted the slogan, "Jimmy Johns Linebacker Bullies," and boasted of its association with him. His e-mail address was left as a contact.

NCAA bylaws state an athlete can start a business but cannot use his or her name or reputation as an athlete to promote it. Receiving any "remuneration for" or permitting the use of one's picture violates eligibility laws. According to a Network Solutions site that tracks such things, the site was created in March of 2008, meaning Johns did not participate in any games while his eligibility was in jeopardy.

Also, a Mastins Pitbulls site from which he bought two dogs denounced his actions.

"We were very shocked and saddened by the events that have taken place with Mr. Johns," the site mastinspitbulls.com wrote. "We do NOT condone any actions allegedly made by him. ... We are not nor were we ever aware of or part of any illegal activities that took place."

%%head%%Check out Rapoport's blog at http://blog.al.com/rapsheet. %%ehead%% %%bodybegin%%irapoport@bhamnews.com

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2008/06/police...hns_sold_c.html

FTFY. No, it is totally believable. Yu have t have zero respect for your COACH, team, university, and yourself to be doing this in the football complex parking lot!!!!!! If I was CNS, I would be worried that a few of my players just dont seem to give him any respect at all.

I don't know if it's a case of zero respect or just an overall atmosphere of 'don't get caught and you are ok.' Judging from the amount of recent problems in their program you'd have to try really hard to convince me other than that the only form of discipline at UAT is "Don't get caught."

The inmates (punny) are running the asylum there. It a pretty good recruiting tool if you want to run that kind of program. Worked well enough for Miami the past two decades. You get some of the top athletes in the country as long as you can live with them doing whatever they want the other six days of the week.

Bylaws state the University must know about it. Of course they denied it. I call BS on that because I believe the athletic administration monitors Myspace and Facebook profiles. I saw his Myspace and his "friends" have posts about his business.

If the university doesn't know about it then the player just become ineligible.

I think the whole cocaine thing will take care of that though.

Guest BoStillKnows

I remember Saban claiming the win over Arkansas was "great for the State of Alabama".

What an embarassment they are...for the State of Alabama.

I am sure they are asking themselves "Where's Furrest Gump when ya need 'im".

:bamaspin:

I love the smell of lack of institutional control in the morning.

It smells like Probation :cheer:

"The horror!...the horror!" :rolleyes:

Actually, if we're going to keep borrowing lines from "Apocalypse Now", wasn't the actual line "It smells like VICTORY"?

...that seems to be all some fans want to smell, at any cost.

I remember Saban claiming the win over Arkansas was "great for the State of Alabama".

saban or uat do not represent my state of Alabama and never will. Their entire band of mullets and

tradishon have held this state back for decades.

saban or uat do not represent my state of Alabama and never will. Their entire band of mullets and

That has to be one of the most moronic things I have ever read.

That has to be one of the most moronic things I have ever read.

Were you looking in the mirror when you read it?

Archived