Coalition troop deaths in Afghanistan surpass Iraq

RunInRed

More eye off the target stuff...

(CNN) -- For the second month in a row, U.S. and allied troop deaths in the Afghan war have surpassed those in Iraq, according to official figures tallied by CNN.

In June, 46 foreign troops died in Afghanistan and 31 troops died in Iraq. In May, 23 foreign troops died in Afghanistan and 21 died in Iraq.

A Pentagon report issued last week about Afghanistan said security in many areas of the country is regarded as "fragile" and Taliban militants have regrouped into a "resilient insurgency" after the Taliban was toppled from power in 2001.

June was the deadliest month for foreign troops in Afghanistan since the conflict there began in 2001. Twenty-eight Americans, 13 Britons, two Canadians, one Pole, one Romanian, and one Hungarian died in Afghanistan. The latest deaths were three American troops who died in a vehicle rollover while on patrol in Kandahar province.

Violence in Iraq has dropped. Among the reasons that have been cited are inroads made by the "surge" military offensive; Iraq's military operations against militants; the growth of the Awakening Councils, opposing al Qaeda in Iraq, among Sunni Arabs; efforts at political compromise; and the cessation of hostilities by mainstream members of Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr's Mehdi Army.

While foreign troop deaths in Iraq were slightly higher in June than in May, the numbers are dramatically lower than last year when there were 131 foreign troop deaths in May and 108 in June.

In June, 29 American troops, a Georgian soldier and an Azerbaijani soldier were killed in Iraq. In May, 21 U.S. troops and two Georgian soldiers were killed.

The trends are similar among civilians in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The United Nations said recently that civilian deaths in Afghanistan have gone sharply upward in the past year, largely because of stepped-up Taliban attacks and an insurgent shift toward tactics like roadside bombings, U.N. officials said Sunday.

Afghan civilian deaths in the first six months of 2008 jumped 60 percent, from 430 in the first six months of 2007 to 698 this year, John Holmes, the U.N. undersecretary-general for humanitarian affairs, said.

Government data in Iraq issued on Monday said the number of deaths among civilians, soldiers and insurgents continued to decline in June.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/07/0...aths/index.html

Hmmmm.....and this is with a MULTI-NATIONAL NATO Force.

Here's the facts, Red. War is hell, and this war....in Iraq, or Afganistan, is a long way from being over. This war with Islamic terrorists will go on with or without Osama Bin Laden. That's why it's unrealistic to just cut and run in either of these theatres without a strong footprint left behind.

Bush did us wrong by not going into either of these areas with larger military might. Rumsfeld was the supreme idiot.

To leave without the mission finished will do nothing but feed the beast and make them more dangerous than ever before.

What about when we left Afghanistan early and diverted 100k troops to Iraq?! I think we have a severe disconnect here...

In Afghanistan/NW Pakistan AQ has now regrouped, violence is up, Bin Laden is still roaming, and increasing territories are in now jeopardy. Further proof that the Iraq war has not made us any more safe - in fact, quite the contrary. The whole foreign policy of the Bush Administration has proved to be a complete failure.

It's not about Bush anymore, Red. It's about what will Obama or McCain do? McCain, no matter WHAT YOU WANT to believe....isn't Bush.

Will Obama invade Pakistan to kill Osama? Will the United States flee Iraq to fight in Afganistan and Pakistan? Pakistan will not allow us to force our way into their region without a fight, which could pave the way for India to invade from the east, and causing a nuclear standoff. It's more complicated than many think.

"Coalition troop deaths in Afghanistan surpass Iraq"

More eye off the target stuff...

You have been screaming and whining for a year (or more) about not enough being done in Afghanistan. Now they are doing more and you are bitching and whining.

Why don't you admit it. You want them out of both Iraq and Afghanistan.

What say you about the U.S. going into a nuclear country like Pakistan and taking out Osama? What would be the course of action if Pakistan responded with military action against U.S. forces?

I'm curious about this answer.

Wrong - I want us out of Iraq and to refocus on AQ in Afghanistan/Pakistan.

Cut and run from Iraq and give AQ what they cannot win. Then start a war with Pakistan. What a great foreign policy.

Hope and Change by rr, - "I hope Obama wins so we can quit a winning strategy in Iraq for a quagmire in Afghanistan.

Cut and run from Iraq and give AQ what they cannot win. Then start a war with Pakistan. What a great foreign policy.

Hope and Change by rr, - "I hope Obama wins so we can quit a winning strategy in Iraq for a quagmire in Afghanistan.

Let me get this straight, the foreign policy genius of the board (better known as Tigermike) is suggesting leaving Iraq is "cutting and running" (what did we do in Afghanistan when we diverted troops and resources away) and now that Afghanistan is a quagmire (what is Iraq?!). This is hilarious - at least he's almost got it figured out...just reversed. Should we give him an "A" for effort?

Let me get this straight, the foreign policy genius of the board (better known as Tigermike) is suggesting leaving Iraq is "cutting and running" (If you are planning to leave before the job is finished what is it other than cutting and running?) (what did we do in Afghanistan when we diverted troops and resources away) (Moving troops to Iraq was hardly cutting and running from Afghanistan. You are a friggin idiot.) and now that Afghanistan is a quagmire (Note to asswipe, Afghanistan is not quagmire nor is Iraaq. Despite what your leaders tell you.) (what is Iraq?! (Iraq is a war we are currently winning.) ). This is hilarious - at least he's almost got it figured out (Almost? No I figured out months ago that you were an idiot of epic porportions.) ...just reversed. Should we give him an "A" for effort? (Keep your "A", I want no part of you. NTTATWWT. But your Messiah has flip flopped yet again on an issue near and dear to your heart.)

You never tire of showing the world what a dumb ass you are do you?

and this war....in Iraq is a long way from being over.

Wanna bet?

But whatever you do, don't call it cutting and running.

BTW - For the record, what are you guys calling it now?

Wanna bet?

You're referring to "sensible foreign policy?"

That's probably its most used title. However, you're free to refer to it as "disaster management" or "common sense application" if you wish.

Wanna bet?

You're referring to "sensible foreign policy?"

That's probably its most used title. However, you're free to refer to it as "disaster management" or "common sense application" if you wish.

Quiting in Iraq, giving al Quada what they can't win is sensible foreign policy. Yeah I get it.

Archived