ULM

LegalEagle

So one of their coaches said. From the context, I think that means unbelievably good and not unbelievably bad.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...004/1006/SPORTS

How 'bout them "WarHawks"?

Practice heats up on second day for ULM

August 3, 2008

With the start of the 2008 season exactly four weeks away, the ULM football team worked out for just over two hours at Malone Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Advertisement

The second practice of the fall saw the temperature on the field reach 105 degrees after the Warhawks opened camp on Friday in comfortable 83 degree conditions.

“It was very, very hot out there today,” head coach Charlie Weatherbie said. “Overall I thought it was a very good day of practice. Towards the end the guys lost a little bit of energy due to the weather, but I thought the concentration was great. We were moving around well and there is great carryover from spring practice.”

The Warhawk quarterbacks continued to be solid through the opening couple of days of practice. Senior Kinsmon Lancaster enters the season with 24 career starts under his belt – the most of any returning starter in the Sun Belt Conference. Sophomore Trey Revell and freshmen Jonathan Morvant and Cody Wells have also taken a lot of snaps early in practice.

“Kinsmon is carrying over from where he left off last fall,” Weatherbie said. “He is doing a great job leading the team and he executing very well right now. Trey has made a remarkable improvement since spring practice and he worked hard in the weight room and is mentally sharp. The young quarterbacks have a lot to learn, but both guys are going to be real important to our success.”

The team worked in shorts and helmets for the second straight day as they work up to full contact drills on Wednesday.

The defense, who returns six starters from a squad that led the SBC in rush defense, continued to impress, especially the secondary.

“We are running to the ball pretty good,” co-defensive coordinator Manny Michel said. “We have installed our whole defense in just two days and the guys have caught on quickly. Our safeties are unbelievable and I wish we could have 11 guys just like them.”

The Warhawks open the season on Aug. 30 at No. 11 Auburn in Jordan-Hare Stadium at 6 p.m. The annual ULM Fan Day is scheduled for Aug. 23 in Malone Stadium.

Season tickets for the 2008 season are still available and can be purchased by calling 318-342-3ULM or by visiting the ULM ticket office in Malone Stadium.

The Warhawks return to the practice field Monday afternoon at 3:45 p.m.

I dont expect safeties to be doing much in that game other than tackling. I imagine to majority of our passes to be of the short variety.

I dont expect safeties to be doing much in that game other than tackling. I imagine to majority of our passes to be of the short variety.

Auburn's ULM game plan: Run, run, and run some more until they stack the box to stop us. Then a long pass or two to spread the field back out followed by many more runs.

Lester and Tate have a field day, our RB recruiting stock goes way back up, our QBs get some valuable experience, and ULM realizes we ain't just another football team from Alabama.

Besides, no need to show our future opponents what's in the bag of tricks. ;)

Great post.

Second half, as the safties spread, KB18 hits 5 on the seam.

Archived