The Josh Moon Article about the crimson Mafia and it's mob boss

The Prowler

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p...S0401/808170323

This goes with the fact that The Don met with members of the REC not 30 minutes after signing day....My father's Boss was there.

If he don't win the MNC soon, Saban may end up like Jimmy Hoffa.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p...S0401/808170323

This goes with the fact that The Don met with members of the REC not 30 minutes after signing day....My father's Boss was there.

...to have been a fly on the wall of that room. You are not the first to mention that meeting.

JOSH MOON: 'Forbes' depiction of Saban not on the money

Column by Josh Moon • August 17, 2008

Memo to the photo department at Forbes magazine: You missed.

Don't get me wrong, the cover photo of Alabama head coach Nick Saban in the Sept. 1 edition of your magazine was perfectly fine. In fact, it will probably sell more copies than you ever dreamed. Yes, but not one word will be read. They will only be able to look at the pictures.

But just because it sells doesn't mean it's the right cover.

I'm thinking something more fitting would have been Saban in a dark room, wearing an expensive tuxedo and holding a cat.

Because the story that explained why Saban is "The Most Powerful Coach in Sports" didn't exactly detail the traits one might normally associate with a successful football coach.

It was much less Vince Lombardi and far more Tony Soprano.

That's right, forget being the "Most Powerful Coach" in Sports. Nick Saban is the Mob boss of the sports world.

And he's running the Alabama football program like an old school Mafia family.

Check this out from the Forbes story: One of the things Saban has done in his short time at UA is "bring together the traditionally balkanized Alabama football booster groups, the alums who raise money and act as ambassadors for the program. He's subjected two dozen or so of them to one-hour interviews to determine their worthiness. 'I don't call him, he calls me,' says Elliot Maisel, an Alabama booster and the chief executive of Gulf Distributing Holdings, a beer wholesaler in Mobile."

Now, let's break that down. Saban has an organized base of boosters (capos, if you will) scattered around the most important recruiting areas (territories) in the Southeast. Those two dozen or so boosters are responsible for organizing the other boosters and contributors (made men and wiseguys) to make sure everyone is on the same page and working in the right areas. In the meantime, the head guy (The Don) is at home (or the Bada Bing, depending on your taste in mob bosses) dreaming up ways to circumvent the NCAA (the Feds).

You can define that setup however you like, I'm calling it the Crimson Mafia. Josh Moon better have the valet start his car from now on....

The only difference I can see is that the envelopes stuffed with cash go out.

Now, don't get carried away. That was just a little joke. I'm not accusing anyone associated with the UA program of doing anything against the rules.

Truth be told, I think this is a genius setup. And one that proves again that Saban is worth the money he's making at Alabama.

The UA boosters have been the albatross around the neck of that program for far too long. SSSHHHH dont say that out loud. We dont want them to know we are on to them.... Before Saban's arrival, they were all over the place, all of them demanding "inside info" on everything and meddling constantly. If they weren't harassing and distracting the coaches and players, they were throwing money around and attracting attention. SSSHHHH, for the love of God shutup!! :lol:

I guarantee you that some of the top people at UA would've paid $32 million just to get those people under control. Having a guy who is doing that and also might win an SEC or national title makes him a bargain.

Organizing a large group of wealthy, influential people is probably the best coaching move to be made. Think about how much influence those people can have if they're all on the same page and all know what the goals are. That meeting after signing day would seem to bear this out.

We're not talking about a bunch of sleazy, back alley cons looking to bribe players and break rules. We're talking about business executives, CEOs, the guy running the local car dealership, the guy who owns the chain of convenience stores. They're people who are involved in their communities, have likely donated thousands to their favorite high school program, and they know pretty much every person in town, especially the high school coaches and top players.

It's those people, from one end of the state to the other, who are now motivated and organized. They know what they can do to help the program, and you can pretty well bet, as crazy as these people are about their Tide football, they're gonna do their part.

If you're an opposing coach, all of that makes the Crimson Mafia every bit as scary as the real Mafia.

At some point, of course, Saban will have to give his family members some return for their work by challenging for championships. Because the only way to keep this system working is if the boosters and fans Don't Stop Believing. Don't Stop.

Can't wait to see the local suspects attempt to spin this one away. Great post. Thanks, in advance, for the HUGE laughs!

RWS, BG, B'ham: "Josh Moon is an idiot", "He doesn't know anything about anything", "He doesn't have a Clue about what's going on in tuscaloosa".....Does that sum it up? lol

This is a gutsy article by Josh, even if he is at the Montgomery Advertiser. I bet if he had any hard evidence, he wouldn't have inserted the obligatory disclaimer that these aren't bad people. Exposure reduces their power.

Let's try a little logic here. Why have a secret group of heavy hitters like this if the only goal is to attract recruits in legitimate ways? The heavy money guys aren't going to waste their time on legit stuff.....you can get cheerleaders, etc to do the obvious/legit stuff.

Prowler...is this the "REC" that you have referred to on occasion?

I would love for some of the LSU members to chime in and say if this type of structure was used when he was there.

Does anybody have any idea what some of these "regional bosses" make a living in?

I would love for some of the LSU members to chime in and say if this type of structure was used when he was there.

Does anybody have any idea what some of these "regional bosses" make a living in?

Different occupations .....doctors, lawyers, bankers, etc. In Huntsville, Billy Neighbors is the biggest REC pimp. He is a stock broker. Billy was on the plane that went to Florida to seal the Saban deal. His son Wes is also a former bama player and Wes' son is now a greyshirt at bama.

Different occupations .....doctors, lawyers, bankers, etc. In Huntsville, Billy Neighbors is the biggest REC pimp. He is a stock broker. Billy was on the plane that went to Florida to seal the Saban deal. His son Wes is also a former bama player and Wes' son is now a greyshirt at bama.

I see.......thank you very much........................

RWS, BG, B'ham: "Josh Moon is an idiot", "He doesn't know anything about anything", "He doesn't have a Clue about what's going on in tuscaloosa".....Does that sum it up? lol

actually, i kind of chuckled seeing such a lengthy article about Alabama by an AU beat writer. i don't really see too much of a problem with what he said, even with the few little jabs thrown in there. he's entitled to his opinion, and he has an audience to cater to. i wouldn't expect him to pump sunshine about Alabama.

actually, i kind of chuckled seeing such a lengthy article about Alabama by an AU beat writer. i don't really see too much of a problem with what he said, even with the few little jabs thrown in there. he's entitled to his opinion, and he has an audience to cater to. i wouldn't expect him to pump sunshine about Alabama.

You stole his answer, Prowler. If you cut him off from his canned answer he isn't as much fun.

LOL

Not only did he not "pump sunshine", he added to that looming black cloud hovering around west vance.

That takes guts in this state. Good for him. Truth wins out.

LOL

Not only did he not "pump sunshine", he added to that looming black cloud hovering around west vance.

That takes guts in this state. Good for him. Truth wins out.

case in point.....

Josh Moon is the ASU beat writer for the Advertiser and has written articles critical of Auburn as well, but don't let the little things like facts throw off your diversion.

Josh Moon is the ASU beat writer for the Advertiser and has written articles critical of Auburn as well, but don't let the little things like facts throw off your diversion.

articles critical of AU in the Auburntiser? since when? :blink:

Now, it's being talked about in all of the sports outlets, around here....which is exactly what Coach $ didn't want. The more they talk about it, the better chance there is that the NCAA will pick up on it, especially the part about the "Money not coming in, but going out". Yeah, right foot out of bounds, 1st and Goal at the 1/2 yard line.

Now, it's being talked about in all of the sports outlets, around here....which is exactly what Coach $ didn't want. The more they talk about it, the better chance there is that the NCAA will pick up on it, especially the part about the "Money not coming in, but going out". Yeah, right foot out of bounds, 1st and Goal at the 1/2 yard line.

hahaha yeah, the NCAA is going to jump right on what Josh Moon says as the Gospel. damn that Josh Moon, he has become the key to the NCAA's case against Alabama! hey, i will take 1st and goal at the ½ yard line over "incomplete to Dunn" anyday ;)

hahaha yeah, the NCAA is going to jump right on what Josh Moon says as the Gospel. damn that Josh Moon, he has become the key to the NCAA's case against Alabama! hey, i will take 1st and goal at the ½ yard line over "incomplete to Dunn" anyday ;)

Are you really talking smack on the board of the rival that has pwned your scrub team since you were in middle school? Really? Based on a freakin' freshman that hasn't played one down yet? Wow. This is going to be a fun year!

Are you really talking smack on the board of the rival that has pwned your scrub team since you were in middle school? Really? Based on a freakin' freshman that hasn't played one down yet? Wow. This is going to be a fun year!

i may be an Alabama fan, but even i wasn't in middle school at 19 years old ;)

and nowhere in my thread did i say that Alabama is 200% better than AU due to that catch. that was like the third thread he felt the need to zing about stepping out in, so i zinged back. now go cry on Prowler's shoulder....Skeeter will join you shortly.

Also, the DLineman that touched jpw, don't expect Clemson just to touch him and let him go. This is DI Football not intramurals....lol.

Was that a practice or was that a scrimmage? Because if it was a scrimmage, then we all know that it didn't really happen like it looks in the video, because everything is Fabricated....even the plays.

Also, Who-leo doesn't like contact, see him push that guy away from him as to say, "Eww get away from me, please don't tackle me."

*WOW, imagine if the NCAA gets their hands on this*

Okay, here I go. I'm imagining..... annnd....I think... the NCAA would act like they were reading it as they skipped to the bottom while smiling politely as they hand it back to the person who gave it to them, and with another polite grin and nod they say "We'll look in to that Nick Saban Mafia Mob gangster thing, Thank you"

What is more likely than your explanation of a Top Secret Uber private meeting is this.... See if you agree, a couple of you just might (you can pm me if you do so as to save face infront of everyone)......

NICK SABAN DOESN'T GET PAID IF THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA GOES UNDER AN NCAA INVESTIGATION RESULTING IN PROBATION AND OTHER FINES!

HE TOOK HEED TO THE PROBLEM WITH ALABAMA'S BOOSTERS IN THE PAST AND HAD A MEETING SAYING "IF YOU MOTHER F*CKERS SCREW THIS UP FOR ME AND MY FAMILY I'LL CUT EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR D*CKS OFF. IF I HEAR THAT EVEN ONE OF YOU ARE DOING ANYTHING THAT COULD RESULT IN AN INVESTIGATION THAN I WILL SINGLE HANDEDLY BEAT THE SH*T OUT OF YOU UNTIL YOU BLEED FROM YOUR STOMACH AND DIE. DON'T MESS WITH ME OR THE PEOPLE THAT EMPLOYEE ME. NOW GET THE H*LL OUT OF HERE."

Alright I might have gone overboard with the mob theme but you get the idea. If I was Saban and I'm going into a University that has had problems with a distinct group of people, and my pay is depending on actions that may result from those same people. You better believe that meetings are going to be more than common with these said people... ESPECIALLY, around times of recruiting.

*WOW, imagine if the NCAA gets their hands on this*

Okay, here I go. I'm imagining..... annnd....I think... the NCAA would act like they were reading it as they skipped to the bottom while smiling politely as they hand it back to the person who gave it to them, and with another polite grin and nod they say "We'll look in to that Nick Saban Mafia Mob gangster thing, Thank you"

What is more likely than your explanation of a Top Secret Uber private meeting is this.... See if you agree, a couple of you just might (you can pm me if you do so as to save face infront of everyone)......

NICK SABAN DOESN'T GET PAID IF THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA GOES UNDER AN NCAA INVESTIGATION RESULTING IN PROBATION AND OTHER FINES!

HE TOOK HEED TO THE PROBLEM WITH ALABAMA'S BOOSTERS IN THE PAST AND HAD A MEETING SAYING "IF YOU MOTHER F*CKERS SCREW THIS UP FOR ME AND MY FAMILY I'LL CUT EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR D*CKS OFF. IF I HEAR THAT EVEN ONE OF YOU ARE DOING ANYTHING THAT COULD RESULT IN AN INVESTIGATION THAN I WILL SINGLE HANDEDLY BEAT THE SH*T OUT OF YOU UNTIL YOU BLEED FROM YOUR STOMACH AND DIE. DON'T MESS WITH ME OR THE PEOPLE THAT EMPLOYEE ME. NOW GET THE H*LL OUT OF HERE."

Alright I might have gone overboard with the mob theme but you get the idea. If I was Saban and I'm going into a University that has had problems with a distinct group of people, and my pay is depending on actions that may result from those same people. You better believe that meetings are going to be more than common with these said people... ESPECIALLY, around times of recruiting.

I don't know or really care about all that stuff but I find it hilarious to se a bama fan making long posts on an Auburn board at 6am.

I don't know or really care about all that stuff but I find it hilarious to se a bama fan making long posts on an Auburn board at 6am.

wife sick, we just had our first child. Explain why I'm up? lol.

Archived