Free Electives at Auburn

Auburn 6

I need another free elective to fill out my schedule, so I'm looking for suggestions. I'm in the process of transferring departments so I can't take major classes yet since I won't be accepted until the end of the semester, and I need to register for classes on Friday. So, I'm looking for another elective to fill my schedule. Any suggestions? What did you take that you really enjoyed? I'd prefer if it's something easy since I don't need my gpa dragged down from a class that shouldn't do that. I'm taking scuba diving since I've always wanted to get certified, but I need another one. Need to keep the grades up to keep law school as an option. Thanks

Veg Production or Organic Gardening - Dr. James Brown, nuff said.

or Golf I because once ya get to Golf II you can drink beer during class (on the course)

or Golf I because once ya get to Golf II you can drink beer during class (on the course)

Dr. Brown's classes are all filled up already, not much of a surprise, I've heard they're the easiest offered at Auburn. Any other suggestions besides Golf? I'd prefer a 3 hour class to a 2. I'm already taking a PE class and only two can count towards a degree plan, I'd like to save one for senior year. Thanks.

The hardest working man in Horticulture.

A NUFS class..or a sociology one of your choosing that doesnt require a prereq.

I am still looking for some Bat guano to fertilize my garden. History classes was always a favorite of mine. If you can get in organic gardening it is a great class, just remember that you must attend to get that A, because you never know when the pop quiz man is coming. On another note I had a guy teach an instrumentation class at work that I swear is bizarro Dr Brown, too weird. Only Auburn man in the class so I was the only one that witnessed it.

I am still looking for some Bat guano to fertilize my garden. History classes was always a favorite of mine. If you can get in organic gardening it is a great class, just remember that you must attend to get that A, because you never know when the pop quiz man is coming. On another note I had a guy teach an instrumentation class at work that I swear is bizarro Dr Brown, too weird. Only Auburn man in the class so I was the only one that witnessed it.

Ahhhh Mr. Pop Quiz man. One time when I was in the class a football player ( I think it was Carlos Rogers) dressed up like a "super hero" and came running in the auditorium screaming and jumped up on stage professing that he was in fact "Mr. Pop Quiz Man". It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen while in class! Even Dr. Brown was highly amused! Man I miss Auburn!

I took a tennis class that was fun. The final exam was a tournament that lasted over several days, so that was pretty cool.

just make sure if you take an activity class that has a tournament final, that the teacher does not grade on placement in the tourney.

I know someone that took a badminton class where the final was a tournament, and only the winning team got an A in the course. Everybody else got B's or C's.

If your going to law school and interested in classes in that field there is a class taught by Dr. Tufts, a professor in forestry, called Estate Planning. Might be something your interested in. I took it thinking it would be interesting (and it was) but DAMN it was hard, lol! Tufts is a really nice guy and helpful in every aspect though. He also teaches Environmental Law which is another good one and not as tough (I took it for fun also after Estate Planning if that tells you anything). The big thing with him is just showing up and letting him know your trying. I missed probably 8 or 9 days a semester (no attendance policy) but would engage him during class, ask questions after class, fail miserably on tests, and still got a B :big:

If your going to law school and interested in classes in that field there is a class taught by Dr. Tufts, a professor in forestry, called Estate Planning. Might be something your interested in. I took it thinking it would be interesting (and it was) but DAMN it was hard, lol! Tufts is a really nice guy and helpful in every aspect though. He also teaches Environmental Law which is another good one and not as tough (I took it for fun also after Estate Planning if that tells you anything). The big thing with him is just showing up and letting him know your trying. I missed probably 8 or 9 days a semester (no attendance policy) but would engage him during class, ask questions after class, fail miserably on tests, and still got a B :big:

Bud Smith used to teach Business Law, that a sermon everyday. He could go with the likes of Jimmy Swaggart or Al Sharpton.

Other than PE classes, I took mate selection which was really interesting (it's much more than dating stuff) and Personal Finance, which was great to learn about investing and real estate.

I did a couple Geography classes as electives. They normally had openings, were interesting, and not brutally hard to take over your life.

Mate Selection was the coolest class there back in the eighties.

Heheh...FCD 269..."Mate Selection and Marital Interaction". By far the EASIEST 4-hour "A" I ever got. It took me until late in my junior year to finally get it on my schedule. It was a hell of a nice break from all of the math and physics I was taking.

Bowling is another one that is good besides golf 2 :cheers:

Yeah, I took bowling 1 and 2 while at Southern Union, and we drank and smoked during class!(although not directly in front of the instructor)....... Plus, it was FUN!!!!!

I strongly suggest it!

Logic with Elftstom (man is hilarious)

Intro to Psych (fun, gotta rep my major)

Wellness? I'm taking a chance on this one; I hope it's fun

I don't know what your major is but...

Computer Ethics (easy as hell when I took it)

AutoCAD in INSY department (easy, and great on resume)

Tech Writing w/ Rothschild (She's a sweet old woman...if she likes you...just be intelligent and she'll love you.)

If you're an EE/WIRE/MechE look into SPaRC. http://sparc.eng.auburn.edu/

Then again, if you're a damned liberal arts major you probably don't want to further your education in your elective so enjoy underwater basket weaving. :P

I don't know what your major is but...

Computer Ethics (easy as hell when I took it)

AutoCAD in INSY department (easy, and great on resume)

Tech Writing w/ Rothschild (She's a sweet old woman...if she likes you...just be intelligent and she'll love you.)

If you're an EE/WIRE/MechE look into SPaRC. http://sparc.eng.auburn.edu/

Then again, if you're a damned liberal arts major you probably don't want to further your education in your elective so enjoy underwater basket weaving. :P

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm a Finance major, with plans of attending law school (hopefully Georgetown) when I graduate. I need to knock out some free electives since I haven't taken any yet and have the room in my schedule to do it. I've already taken two years of AutoCAD in high school and spent a summer as an intern with the Navy doing that and Rhino 3D; don't really want to do it again. I really enjoy snorkling and have always wanted to get scuba certified, but never have, so I'm taking it now since it's cheaper than doing it through somebody else and I get credit for it, not to mention I am friends with one of the instructors.

Psyc. of Human Sexual Behaviour.

YES! DO IT!

Trust me, I tried for that class. I really wanted Sexual Deviance, but it's not being offered in the Spring, I'm holding out hope for next Fall. I took AP Psychology in high school and got a 5, so I have credit at Auburn for one of the lower level Psych classes here. Hopefully that's the only pre-requisite needed.

In case anybody cares, I ended up with Scuba, State and Local Government, and Health and Nutrition.

Scuba since I've always wanted to get certified and would like to be able to scuba dive this summer on vacation.

State and Local Government since I enjoy politics and law. I've worked on campaigns for candidates running for the Virginia House of Delegates, and have an interview with a candidate over Thanksgiving break about working with him on his campaign.

Health and Nutrition since it's an easy A and it doesn't hurt to learn more about being healthy.

Archived