Poll Sites

DKW 86

February 18, 2004--President George W. Bush now leads Massachusetts Senator John F. Kerry by five points in the latest Rasmussen Reports Presidential Tracking Poll. As of this morning, Bush attracts support from 48% of the nation's likely voters while Kerry is the choice for 43%.

Interesting, this in the midst of the democrat primaries. Because of the attention the dems receive because of the primaries doesn't it seem reasonable that Kerry's numbers would be even higher? And he is still trailing President Bush, I wonder how that will play out in the coming months.

Thanks, Dave, for posting this. Guys, this site seems to be strictly non-partisan, and they have polls on a lot of other issues too. I asked Dave to post it as a sticky, because the presidential poll is updated daily. Very interesting.

• 1 month later...

I believe the poll is skewed , I think many Bush supporters are too busy working to take part in a poll.

• 1 month later...

I have said this before, but I would be so embarassed if I were John Kerry and I knew that people were agreeing to vote for me not because of me or what I stood for or what positions I took, but only just because I was not Bush. Not that anyone can TELL what Kerry stands for or anything, but to be the "ABB" candidate? What does that say about you?

Two polls now say Bush is even in California?

If these are true, they are with likely voters btw, Kerry will not make the Convention. Stand back and watch.

Bush even or ahead in California

Again, Bush even or ahead with likely voters in California

Thanks for the links. But check your sources. Bush keeps falling, look again...

The second link,

http://www.surveyusa.com/2004_Elections/CA040507pressen.pdf ,

is for a poll taken May 4-6.

The first link, update May 24,

http://www.dcpoliticalreport.com/CurrentPolls.htm ,

now has Kerry leading California by more than the margin of error.

As of May 24:

Kerry electoral votes: 212, with 123, including Ca, outside the margin of error

Bush electoral votes: 146, with 99 outside the margin of error

I have said this before, but I would be so embarassed if I were John Kerry and I knew that people were agreeing to vote for me not because of me or what I stood for or what positions I took, but only just because I was not Bush.  Not that anyone can TELL what Kerry stands for or anything, but to be the "ABB" candidate?  What does that say about you?

I think I would be more embarassed to be the guy that so many people wanted anybody else but me. To be the second "B" in ABB? What does that say about you?

Well, not surprisingly, I wouldn't...because the flip side is that the vast majority of Bush's supporters are voting "for" him. Most of Kerry's supporters are not "for Kerry" they are anti-Bush. And much of that would have occurred no matter who the person Kerry was running against simply because he has an "R" after his name as a party designation.

So if I were Bush, it wouldn't bother me much at all.

Well, not surprisingly, I wouldn't...because the flip side is that the vast majority of Bush's supporters are voting "for" him. Most of Kerry's supporters are not "for Kerry" they are anti-Bush. And much of that would have occurred no matter who the person Kerry was running against simply because he has an "R" after his name as a party designation.

So if I were Bush, it wouldn't bother me much at all.

Kerry was not my first or second choice, but I'm not at all uncomfortable with him, and while he doesn't particularly excite me as a candidate, I won't hold my nose to vote for him and believe he can be a good President. That said, I am a registered independent who once voted for Bush's daddy, voted for McCain in 2000 and would seriously consider him or Chuck Hagel (R-Neb) in 2004, depending on the race they ran.

In the first few months after 9/11 I was one of the 90+% that approved of and supported Bush. Many of us have genuinely been disappointed with his governing, regardless of party.

I first heard ABB on dem leaning boards during the primaries more as a means of keeping the peace when supporters of rival candidates would get too heated. People are almost always slow to warm to the challenger to an incumbent. For example, Clinton came in third behind Bush and Perot in a June 1992 poll.

That was also because Clinton was a relative unknown...a governor of a Southern state that isn't talked about much. Kerry is known. He's been in the Senate for 20+ years. He has an extensive voting record that defines him, whereas Clinton's record didn't give you as much to go on.

I've been reading it in several places throughout this election, Kerry is not winning people over to him or his policies. His fortunes in this election, more than normal, hinge on the "vote against" someone factor. This may not be the case with you, but the polling data that goes in depth on these questions is saying so.

That was also because Clinton was a relative unknown...a governor of a Southern state that isn't talked about much.  Kerry is known.  He's been in the Senate for 20+ years.  He has an extensive voting record that defines him, whereas Clinton's record didn't give you as much to go on.

I've been reading it in several places throughout this election, Kerry is not winning people over to him or his policies.  His fortunes in this election, more than normal, hinge on the "vote against" someone factor.  This may not be the case with you, but the polling data that goes in depth on these questions is saying so.

I don't disagree that many people merely need to conclude Kerry is "acceptable" to vote for him, given their opposition to Bush, or that Kerry starts with more name recognition than Clinton. Clinton had a twelve year record as governor for him to run on, and for others to exploit and sometimes distort. Few voters have objectively studied Kerry's voting record, however, and a voting record is far easier to distort than it is to understand. I heard John McCain say something similar the other day, stating he voted against some of the same defense budgets as Kerry due to wasteful spending, not because he didn't support a strong defense or even many programs in the bill. Polls I have seen still say Kerry is largely undefined for most "swing voters," which is why Bush is trying to define him now before Kerry is able to define himself. On the other hand, the opinions people have of Bush, both good and bad, are largely based on their own perception of his actual performance as President.

Kerry's recent bio ads do actually seem to be helping him in terms of favorabilty in battleground states, though not nationwide. His actual positons remain largely unknown unless someone has studied his website.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2004/05/...re_working.html

• 1 month later...

Check this thing out...create scenarios to your heart's content. There is also information on each state's voting tendencies going back to 1980.

Electoral College Calculator

has anyone else made this calculator tie ay 269. what would you do?

• 2 weeks later...
Republican electoral calculator site has Kerry up as of this posting:

http://www.electionprojection.com/elections2004.html

Aaaaaannnnd... :unsure:

Since Reps. are all liars, guess it's untrue, huh? ;)

I've never said they were all liars, but if you say so. ;)

What it probably means, though, is that it is not even that close. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Archived