Dixie

Wishbone

Personally, I just couldn't care less. I mean, why do we Southerners get misty-eyed and sentimental over our lemming-like adventure known as the Civil War? Seriously. It was fought over a dubious constitutional principle. And while you can argue that slavery wasn't a core issue, it was a major issue. The cream of Southern leadership was mown down like so much grass on the fields of Antietam and Gettysburg. The South was not only economically ruined, but occupied. The destruction of Southern society and its economy had effects that are still being felt today.

In short, it was a stupid war, instigated by extremely short-sighted and mule-headed men. And while I can admire the valor of the Army of Northern Virginia and the wily leadership of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson, I also know that the Civil War was nothing less than a catastrophe for the South from the day the first cannon opened up on Fort Sumter. There's simply no way any credible person could think otherwise.

Everybody is allowed to have a celebrated heritage EXCEPT the southern white man.

Whether the war was wrong or right, it was steeped in southern heritage. To forget that would be to spit on my ancestor's graves. I try to avoid that.

I do not have any confederate money saved up, but I do feel it necessary to remember the lives lost and stronger union formed from it. But I guess nowadays that makes me just another racist white man that cannot move on, while other cultures are allowed to celebrate their heritage.....

Everybody is allowed to have a celebrated heritage EXCEPT the southern white man.

Whether the war was wrong or right, it was steeped in southern heritage. To forget that would be to spit on my ancestor's graves. I try to avoid that.

I do not have any confederate money saved up, but I do feel it necessary to remember the lives lost and stronger union formed from it. But I guess nowadays that makes me just another racist white man that cannot move on, while other cultures are allowed to celebrate their heritage.....

No, I get this. But when I said "move on", it was directed at the original post which said "I never surrendered." That's just ignorant.

Personally, I just couldn't care less. I mean, why do we Southerners get misty-eyed and sentimental over our lemming-like adventure known as the Civil War? Seriously. It was fought over a dubious constitutional principle. And while you can argue that slavery wasn't a core issue, it was a major issue. The cream of Southern leadership was mown down like so much grass on the fields of Antietam and Gettysburg. The South was not only economically ruined, but occupied. The destruction of Southern society and its economy had effects that are still being felt today.

In short, it was a stupid war, instigated by extremely short-sighted and mule-headed men. And while I can admire the valor of the Army of Northern Virginia and the wily leadership of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson, I also know that the Civil War was nothing less than a catastrophe for the South from the day the first cannon opened up on Fort Sumter. There's simply no way any credible person could think otherwise.

However unfortunate it may have been, I reserve the right to bear a different opinion of sorts. I have direct decendants who lost their lives in that war with the North Carolina and South Carolina armies. I also reserve the the right to differ on the slavery issue. The North had more slaves than the South did up until A. Lincoln emanicipated them. And even then, the North tried to take advantage of them (see movie Glory). The freeing of the slaves was more of a propaganda move than a humanitarian one by the U.S. President. I'm happy to say that it happened, but to distort the truth would be a travesty from my side of things.

The war began in the late 1840's, yet took nearly 20 years for it to take place on the battlefields. John C. Calhoun and others were up against a heavy majority in Congress (made up of powerful, Northern representation) wanted to tax the south as if it were a foriegn country to gain revenue for the "Republic". Fights nearly broke out over this cause, leaving many to doubt the union would hold. It did for a spell, but the taxation policy continued to build. The South felt it was being forced against it's will, and so, by constitutional authority (even though it wasn't recognized by the PTB) the State of South Carolina broke away. The rest of the states followed suit, and the war began.

Obviously there's a lot more to the story, but the main reason for the war was PRINCIPALS. The biggest reason why the South suffered so much after the war was because of the assasination of Lincoln. If J.W. Booth had not killed the President, the South wouldn't have suffered as it did. Lincoln, knowing in his heart why the South broke free, wanted to repair the damaged South and help them recover. That all changed with his death.

I love my ole South. But I love my Country more. We are the United States of America. We should stand united. But we also have the right to reflect and honor those who sacrificed for the things they believed in.

Freedom.

OK, let’s take this in a different direction.

Are any of you familiar with the former southerners who migrated to South America bought land, built a town and their descendents still live there? There was a story in the Mobile Press Register back in the late 80’s early 90’s about those people. Apparently they didn’t assimilate into the Spanish / local population, still speak English with a Southern accent. I’ll see if I can find anything about that. Or if any of you can it would be interesting.

Edit:

Apparently I was wrong about them not assimilating into the local culture.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1006511/posts

One of several links.

This is where I stand on the stars and bars.

In the United States, the flying of the Confederate "Stars and Bars" flag has sparked numerous controversies as a symbol of the racial hatred institutionalized in the Confederate South.

But Cullen Pyles, the Fraternity's treasurer, said the Confederate flag has a different meaning for the group.

"She is a reminder of our ancestry," she says. "It doesn't represent racism or any of that to us."

Having an Auburn man in that article is a plus as well. :)

His ancestry is largely the same as that of the guys in blue fighting for the union...white European.

Look, I love the South and love being known as a Southerner. But the CSA doesn't rank even in the top 50 reasons I'd cite for my love of the South. In fact, it might not make the list at all except in very limited and narrow measure.

... Obviously there's a lot more to the story, but the main reason for the war was PRINCIPALS. ...

Damn. Even back then the public school principals were messin' up. Same ol same ol today. :no:

In this PC world we live in, I applaud the city of Mobile for keeping the Confederate flag on their city emblam along with the other 5 flags that were flown over the city. I also congratulate the State of Mississippi for keeping the flag on their state flag. Georgia sold out a few years ago by changing their state flag. In my eyes the old south doesn't exist any more. The MTV generation doesn't understand things about the heritage and history of the South. When I was in school I remember the Civil War History as us losing the battle, and we needed to get redemption. If a kid was a Yankee and transferred to my school he was made fun of.

Oh way down yonder in the land of Cotton ole times there are not forgotten look away look away look away Dixie Land!!!!!!

Here's the thing. As far as it affects me, I don't care about Confederate flags one way or the other, though generally when I see one my immediate thought is "redneck" (and not in that "good ole country boy" way). More in that "toothless bammer" way.

But I understand why others have no affection for it at all. While us white folks are sitting around talking about Southern traditions and things like cotillions, Miss Scarlett and mint juleps on the veranda, there are lots of people whose only relation to that flag is that of their great great grandparents working their asses off in the hot sun for no money, getting beaten for sassing a white person, being kept ignorant and uneducated, having their families split up and sold off and so on. So I don't blame them if they don't want to have their government - state, local or otherwise - put that emblem out there to represent it.

It's great to educate people on our history. But to act like it's just "PC" stuff when people object to such a powerful symbol is just ridiculous.

In this PC world we live in, I applaud the city of Mobile for keeping the Confederate flag on their city emblam along with the other 5 flags that were flown over the city. I also congratulate the State of Mississippi for keeping the flag on their state flag. Georgia sold out a few years ago by changing their state flag. In my eyes the old south doesn't exist any more. The MTV generation doesn't understand things about the heritage and history of the South. When I was in school I remember the Civil War History as us losing the battle, and we needed to get redemption. If a kid was a Yankee and transferred to my school he was made fun of.

Oh way down yonder in the land of Cotton ole times there are not forgotten look away look away look away Dixie Land!!!!!!

Really? You'd never know. I mean, with Jefferson Davis as President and all...

Oh, wait.

This is where I stand on the stars and bars.

In the United States, the flying of the Confederate "Stars and Bars" flag has sparked numerous controversies as a symbol of the racial hatred institutionalized in the Confederate South.

But Cullen Pyles, the Fraternity's treasurer, said the Confederate flag has a different meaning for the group.

"She is a reminder of our ancestry," she says. "It doesn't represent racism or any of that to us."

Having an Auburn man in that article is a plus as well. :)

The problem with the Stars & Bars flag today is that its symbolism has been appropriated by the wrong kind of people (i.e. KKK & other racist groups,) and that remains the public perception of it. Just like the rainbow is now firmly entrenched in the public's perception with gays. No matter how much I admire God's handiwork or marvel at the science behind the rainbow, if I go flying a rainbow flag at my house or put a rainbow bumper sticker on my car -- the public's perception is that I'm light in the loafers. There is an astonishing amount of ignorance about the Civil War and history in general amongst the general public.

that[/i] remains the public perception of it. Just like the rainbow is now firmly entrenched in the public's perception with gays. No matter how much I admire God's handiwork or marvel at the science behind the rainbow, if I go flying a rainbow flag at my house or put a rainbow bumper sticker on my car -- the public's perception is that I'm light in the loafers. There is an astonishing amount of ignorance about the Civil War and history in general amongst the general public.

I have frequently thought about this and lamented when good symbols get tarnished by the wrong kinds of people (..not to imply that gays are "the wrong kind of people"!). On purely appearance sake, the Stars and Bars is a very attractive flag (much more striking than three boring stripes of various color as used by many European nations, for example), but it's beauty is tainted forever by its usurpation by racist groups. Some of the same groups have spoiled the Celtic Cross, previously a quite interesting interpretation of the Christian symbol. The swaztika is another example--a very striking artistic motif with a lot of positive connotations throughout most of human history, but forever damned now thanks to Adolf Hitler.

Or a less significant analogy to "Dixie": Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama"--A great song, but seems I can't hear it played anywhere now without some Bammers interjecting "Roll Tide Roll" at the chorus...ruined a perfectly good song for me!

Archived