So we will have 2 undefeated teams that will have beaten undefeated teams in a BCS bowl.

FootballFanatic

How do you say who's the national champ really?

BSU beat a bcs team in a bcs bowl that was undefeated. Now texas and Alabama will have a winner that has similar street cred.

Who's really the champ?

This whole system is a joke.

We need a plus 1 system. That would insure that an undefeted or 1 loss SEC champ would be in the mix. That team would almost definitely be in the top 4. Plus the Boise State's of the world would have a legit shot. #1 play #4, and #2 play #3 in a New Year's BCS bowl. Winners play a week later. What's to lose for the power's that be?

It won't matter if Bama loses to Texas or if Boise and Cincy had went undefeated also, they would be claiming a share of the NC anyway.

Everyone's bought into that the SEC is this mega-power conference that can't be beaten, really? I watched Tennessee and South Carolina get smoked. LSU and Kentucky both lost and Arkansas should have lost to East Carolina, if their kicker didn't suck.

The SEC has been average at best in the bowl games this year. I must say, I'm no longer beleiving that the SEC is a mega-power above every other conference. Don't get me wrong, the SEC is still one of the best conferences but not this great conference that the media has made it out to be. Other than Florida and Alabama, the rest of the SEC is average and very beatable.

A playoff would be great but ultimately is probably won't ever happen because the conferences and the bowls care too much about $$$$$$"tradition"$$$$$$...........Until Boise State and TCU join a BCS conference, they're never going to get a fair chance.

The purpose of a plus one would not be to ensure that a one loss SEC team has a shot--it would be to improve the quality of the process that determines the national title. The SEC has lost some luster the last year or two even though we've had a team in the championship game for a few years in a row.

Boise State does not have the "street cred" of an undefeated Bama or Texas. Yes they have an argument but I think most would agree an undefeated Texas or Bama is more deserving than Boise State.

All of that being said the simple answer is we will not have a firm undisputed champion until we have a playoff.

Yesterday, Boise's own offensive MVP said they didn't deserve to be #1. This is different from being a "champion," but that should state something. I feel Boise proved last night once again that they can win big games, but not necessarily handle a week-to-week schedule like the SEC. Look what their own conference did to them as each week piled up. They did great against Oregon and TCU as they had lots of rest and time to prepare. That doesn't exist in the SEC. I personally like the current system, but wouldn't mind a Plus 1. I feel a full blown playoff would hurt season-ending rivalries. Imagine if Alabama had been guaranteed a playoff spot and rested players for the Auburn game. I mean I'd be happy for an Auburn win, but you know the Alabama fans wouldn't accept that Auburn was the better team that day. Their fans would have all the excuses in the world. But that's just my opinion.

Arkansas should have lost to East Carolina, if their kicker didn't suck.

And Auburn...?

S. Demos

FG 0/2

XP 3/4

Um yeah, that supports his point. The SEC is WAY down this season. However, I will add I have little doubt that Alabama is currently the best team in the nation

Yesterday, Boise's own offensive MVP said they didn't deserve to be #1. This is different from being a "champion," but that should state something. I feel Boise proved last night once again that they can win big games, but not necessarily handle a week-to-week schedule like the SEC. Look what their own conference did to them as each week piled up. They did great against Oregon and TCU as they had lots of rest and time to prepare. That doesn't exist in the SEC. I personally like the current system, but wouldn't mind a Plus 1. I feel a full blown playoff would hurt season-ending rivalries. Imagine if Alabama had been guaranteed a playoff spot and rested players for the Auburn game. I mean I'd be happy for an Auburn win, but you know the Alabama fans wouldn't accept that Auburn was the better team that day. Their fans would have all the excuses in the world. But that's just my opinion.

College football isn't the NFL and you would hurt you seeding if you lost your last game, they wouldn't rest anyone and I would expect none would sit out. Not saying it couldn't happening just saying it is unlikely. The every game is a playoff game hype by the BCS crowd is still in place if you have a playoff.

SI has a bracket all year long and it changed each week here is the last one tell me that the last games of the year weren't important.

Link

First off, I hate Bama and no more want them to win a national title than I want a hole in my head.

Second, I want a 4 or 8 team playoff too.

That said, Boise and Texas/Bama's schedules simply don't compare. Even in a year where the SEC maybe isn't as deep as normal (two exceptional teams, then a lot of mediocrity) that schedule stones Boise's. Now that's not all Boise's fault. They can't force the Pac-10 to add them and they have tried to schedule big name folks and get turned down 98% of the time. But it is what it is. Boise's 14-0 simply doesn't stand up to either of the schedules of the BCS title game participants.

Alabama had a MUCH easier road to 13-0 at this point than Auburn did on 2004. MUCH easier. Bama is lucky that they only had to play one real top 10 team this season. Bama is a good team with great team chemistry and a very good (although ass hat) coach. But the stars lined up for the Tide this season for sure.

It won't matter if Bama loses to Texas or if Boise and Cincy had went undefeated also, they would be claiming a share of the NC anyway.

Everyone's bought into that the SEC is this mega-power conference that can't be beaten, really? I watched Tennessee and South Carolina get smoked. LSU and Kentucky both lost and Arkansas should have lost to East Carolina, if their kicker didn't suck.

The SEC has been average at best in the bowl games this year. I must say, I'm no longer beleiving that the SEC is a mega-power above every other conference. Don't get me wrong, the SEC is still one of the best conferences but not this great conference that the media has made it out to be. Other than Florida and Alabama, the rest of the SEC is average and very beatable.

A playoff would be great but ultimately is probably won't ever happen because the conferences and the bowls care too much about $$$"tradition"$$$........ ...Until Boise State and TCU join a BCS conference, they're never going to get a fair chance.

SEC is still the best conference in the country and the conference to go thru for the MNC. I think the SEC is still the mega-power of all conferences. What conference would you put ahead of the SEC? If you are going by the bowl game W/L then the Mountain West is the mega power THIS year with a 4-1 bowl record. Just b/c the SEC has a down year in bowl games doesn't mean it is not the mega power of conferences. SEC has sent 2 teams to BCS games how many times in the history of the BCS?

'98-'99 season - UT (MNC, W) and UF (Orange, W)

'99-'00 season - bama (Orange, L) and UT (Fiesta, L)

'00-'01 season - UF (Sugar, L)

'01-'02 season - LSU (Sugar, W) and UF (Fiesta, W)

'02-'03 season - UGA (Sugar, W)

'03-'04 season - LSU (MNC, Sugar,W)

'04-'05 season - AU (Sugar, W)

'05-'06 season - UGA (Sugar, L)

'06-'07 season - UF (MNC, Fiesta, W) and LSU (Sugar, W)

'07-'08 season - LSU (MNC,W) and UGA (Sugar, W)

'08-'09 season - UF (MNC, W) and bama (Sugar, L)

'09-'10 season - UF (Sugar, W) and bama (??)

Combined BCS bowl record of 13-5 with this years MNC to be played. If my figures are correct other conference records are as follows; Big 10 at 11-11, Big 12 at 8-8*, Pac10 at 9-5, Big East at 2-3, and ACC at 6-11. Asterisk for Big 12 for outcome of this years BCS MNC game. The Big 10 appears to have more appearance overal, but a worse record. With a bama win :puke:that would be 4 straight BCS MNC wins for the SEC and 5 of the last 7 BCS MNCs winners have been SEC teams, not counting our undefeated '04-'05 team that got screwed!!!! Hard to argue those numbers, not to mention the SEC out of conference record against BCS schools in regular season play is really good.

First off, I hate Bama and no more want them to win a national title than I want a hole in my head.

That said, Boise and Texas/Bama's schedules simply don't compare. Even in a year where the SEC maybe isn't as deep as normal (two exceptional teams, then a lot of mediocrity) that schedule stones Boise's. Now that's not all Boise's fault. They can't force the Pac-10 to add them and they have tried to schedule big name folks and get turned down 98% of the time. But it is what it is. Boise's 14-0 simply doesn't stand up to either of the schedules of the BCS title game participants.

I think Utah and Boise State have proved in past BCS games that schedules not mean crap. I think schedule comparison is not a good barometer of how good a team really is. It should be decided on the field. I like the 8 or 16 team playoff format.

I think Utah and Boise State have proved in past BCS games that schedules not mean crap. I think schedule comparison is not a good barometer of how good a team really is. It should be decided on the field. I like the 8 or 16 team playoff format.

Actually it does mean something. If you play a weak schedule, it's much easier to get up for one game with 3-4 weeks to prepare for it than it is to have to endure the meatgrinder of an SEC slate, a showdown in the SEC title game and then a quality opponent in a bowl game. When you don't play hard hitting, tough opponents you get to rest your starters more, you tend not to have as many injuries or if you do you can let them take a week or two off without really having to worry that UC-Davis or Eastern Oregon A&M is going to be much of a threat to you without them. Also, emotionally it's easier because when you have a schedule that includes Tennessee, Florida, LSU, Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss and so on, you can't have a letdown. And it's harder mentally to keep that focus and get up over and over for tough games versus playing weak competition then getting geeked up for a big showdown once a year on the big stage.

Finally, 16 teams is too many for a playoff. Three loss teams have no business even sniffing a shot at a national title. The great thing about college football is that the regular season means something. You don't have teams doing what the Colts and Saints have done...resting starters in the final game or two of the season because they've locked up a playoff berth. With a four or eight team playoff, every game remains of critical importance because even one loss could potentially knock you out of the running, depending on what others do. Two losses would be the max anyone would have and still make it in and even that would require a lot of help.

Arkansas should have lost to East Carolina, if their kicker didn't suck.

And Auburn...?

S. Demos

FG 0/2

XP 3/4

Um yeah, that supports his point. The SEC is WAY down this season. However, I will add I have little doubt that Alabama is currently the best team in the nation

I never said it didn't. I just wanted to make sure everyone was included in his analysis. :)

There's one thing that the BCS could do to make the system work better. I remember Todd Blackledge mentioning it back in 2004: "They should do away with pre-season polls. They're worthless because it's all based on how your team did the year before. There shouldn't be any polls until the 1st week of October, that way you can let teams play for a month and then start to figure out who's for real and who's not."

I also think they should let the WAC and the Moutain West have automatic BCS bids. I think those conferences have earned the chance to play with the big boys over the past several years. Boise State's schedule might not be that good but they did beat the PAC 10 Champion Oregon.

Some of you might think I'm crazy but I actually think the Big Ten is the best conference this year. The Big Ten has three 11-win teams: Penn State, Ohio State, and Iowa. Plus you have Wisconsin(10-3) and Northwestern(8-5).

And yet they went 4-3 in bowl games, which really isn't any better than the SEC (5-4) this year.

Those 4 bowl wins were also against top 15 teams.

Miami #14

LSU #13

Georgia Tech #9

Oregon #7

Archived