New Coach..Candidates..Feel Free to Weigh In

AUgrad00

For the love of all things holy Jacobs will do us all a favor and break off Lebo at the end of the season.

If he does who would you like to see AU go after?

I will give you a few candidates I have in mind, Drew at Baylor, Romar at Washington, here is another name and an underrated coach I like is Herb Sendek at Arizona State should he desire to return south. He did a very good job at NC State and has done a nice job at Arizona State.

The thing is this it could be a wish list but offer them a blank check and make them say no. While Auburn has not had a long history of great success Auburn has had some very good players and some success, that along with a new arena its an opportunity job for sure.

I would also weigh personality as much as coaching ability. I know there are not 100 hundred Bruce Pearl's running around but if AU could locate a guy with his personality type and charisma that would be a start. I do realize he is a rare cat so that may be a stretch but I dont give a damn what anyone says he is coaching at Auburn, Auburn would be winning and probably putting @sses in the seats every night.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the love of all things holy Jacobs will do us all a favor and break off Lebo at the end of the season.

If he does who would you like to see AU go after?

I will give you a few candidates I have in mind, Drew at Baylor, Romar at Washington, here is another name and an underrated coach I like is Herb Sendek at Arizona State should he desire to return south. He did a very good job at NC State and has done a nice job at Arizona State.

The thing is this it could be a wish list but offer them a blank check and make them say no. While Auburn has not had a long history of great success Auburn has had some very good players and some success, that along with a new arena its an opportunity job for sure.

I would also weigh personality as much as coaching ability. I know there are not 100 hundred Bruce Pearl's running around but if AU could locate a guy with his personality type and charisma that would be a start. I do realize he is a rare cat so that may be a stretch but I dont give a damn what anyone says he is coaching at Auburn, Auburn would be winning and probably putting @sses in the seats every night.

Not going to get any of those coaches and Sendek was average at best. i like Anderson from Mizzu but think that ship has sailed. Also like Travis Ford, John Brady he has Arkansas State almost in tourney, tubby Smith or even John Pelfry from arkansas. yes i know i have two pitino proteges in there.

I was looking and I honestly don't know a "proven" coach that might come to Auburn but I did see someone that caught my eye while going through lists of names.

Gregg Mashall. He's the coach at Wichita State right now. They're 22-8(11-5) overall and in 2nd place in the Missouri Valley conference. He's got a good bit of experience under his belt and has been to the NCAA Tournament when he was the coach at Wintrhop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregg_Marshall

http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=61185&SPID=2851&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=7500&ATCLID=898852&Q_SEASON=2009

Mike Anderson (Missouri)

Dana Altman (Creighton)

Brad Stevens (Butler)

Travis Ford (UMass)

Sean Miller (Xavier)

Brian Gregory (Dayton)

I know some of those are pipe dreams, but if you're gonna spend $85M on an arena, why not pile on another million or two and open it up with a proven winner and up and comer?

Dana Altman (Creighton)

I looked at him to but I don't know if he'd be willing to leave a winning program to come to a place like Auburn where he'd have to build it up. He also almost went to coach Arkansas in 2007 but changed his mind to stay at Creighton and Arkansas ended up with John Pelfrey. So that tells me he's loyal to Creighton and may not want to leave there regardless.

Dana Altman (Creighton)

I looked at him to but I don't know if he'd be willing to leave a winning program to come to a place like Auburn where he'd have to build it up. He also almost went to coach Arkansas in 2007 but changed his mind to stay at Creighton and Arkansas ended up with John Pelfrey. So that tells me he's loyal to Creighton and may not want to leave there regardless.

Maybe not, but that was 3 years ago. Maybe things have changed. Maybe he just didn't have a good vibe about Arkansas but a new arena and a fanbase starving for a winner can turn his head. Maybe he's ready for a new challenge. Who knows. I'd damn sure find out though.

Hey Titan no offense bro I am guessing you have not watched much college hoops and the way AU plays these days I am not sure I can blame you but

Sean Miller is at Zona these days.

I wish we would try to get Anderson.

Mike Anderson (Missouri)

Dana Altman (Creighton)

Brad Stevens (Butler)

Travis Ford (UMass)

Sean Miller (Xavier)

Brian Gregory (Dayton)

I know some of those are pipe dreams, but if you're gonna spend $85M on an arena, why not pile on another million or two and open it up with a proven winner and up and comer?

Hey Titan no offense bro I am guessing you have not watched much college hoops and the way AU plays these days I am not sure I can blame you but

Sean Miller is at Zona these days.

I wish we would try to get Anderson.

Mike Anderson (Missouri)

Dana Altman (Creighton)

Brad Stevens (Butler)

Travis Ford (UMass)

Sean Miller (Xavier)

Brian Gregory (Dayton)

Oh, yeah, I don't catch much hoops outside of the SEC. I guess I got the Xavier guy confused with the Gonzaga one that keeps turning everyone down to stay where he is.

I heard some good things about Chuck Person. How realistic is he?

if we are bringing back past players bring in Charles Barkley. Whats the odds our offer and his TNT contract are close in $ amount?

Mike Anderson (Missouri)

Dana Altman (Creighton)

Brad Stevens (Butler)

Travis Ford (UMass)

Sean Miller (Xavier)

Brian Gregory (Dayton)

Travis Ford will be next Mid major coach to go big in my opinion. thank hal Baird messed us up on Anderson but man love watching his team play defense. Stevens is good choice but he can compete and is already a top 10 program at Butler and is in bball country.

Another under radar guy that team will make some noise in tourney is Richmond coach Chris Moooney.

http://www.richmondspiders.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/mooney_chris00.html

Mike Anderson (Missouri)

Dana Altman (Creighton)

Brad Stevens (Butler)

Travis Ford (UMass)

Sean Miller (Xavier)

Brian Gregory (Dayton)

Maybe Dayton or UMass, but I don't see why any of the others would make the switch. Butler is a much better job than Auburn even if it is in a smaller conference.

I heard some good things about Chuck Person. How realistic is he?

if we are bringing back past players bring in Charles Barkley. Whats the odds our offer and his TNT contract are close in $ amount?

Barkley was a good player, but Person seems like he would be a much better coach.

Mike Anderson (Missouri)

Dana Altman (Creighton)

Brad Stevens (Butler)

Travis Ford (UMass)

Sean Miller (Xavier)

Brian Gregory (Dayton)

Maybe Dayton or UMass, but I don't see why any of the others would make the switch. Butler is a much better job than Auburn even if it is in a smaller conference.

I don't know if they would. Maybe Mike Anderson would like to get back to Alabama. But regardless, I'd go right down the list and make them all say no before I moved on from there.

Mike Anderson (Missouri)

Dana Altman (Creighton)

Brad Stevens (Butler)

Travis Ford (UMass)

Sean Miller (Xavier)

Brian Gregory (Dayton)

Good list, and I'd also like to add MARK FEW (Gonzaga) to the list. He would be my first choice, but considering he's turned down numerous offers in the past to stay at Gonzaga, it would probably be a long shot, but you don't know if you don't ask.

If few said no, then Brad Stevens would be my 2nd choice.

Barkley would be a humiliation. He's not a credit to Auburn, he's an embarrassment. On a given Friday night, do you think Barkley would be cooped up drawing up plays and studying film for Saturday's game, or do you see him jetting off to Biloxi for a little run at the tables and a hooker or three?

Chuck Person would be great, with ten years experience as an NBA assistant. There has never been a better representative of Auburn University than Chuck Person. Not sure if Chuck has his degree and I read somewhere that a four-year degree is required by NCAA rule. If so, that rule would knock out Barkley.

Mike Anderson acted like a jerk the last time the job was open. I don't think we want him and the feeling is probably mutual.

The guy at Murray State, Billy Kennedy, looks like the best bet to me.

Disagree with the Anderson take. In any negotiation each side must have leverage for there to be compromise. Auburn needed Anderson much worse then Anderson needed Auburn. Anderson had significant leverage Auburn would not compromise and meet Anderson in Birmingham so Anderson pretty much gave AU the FU.

Keep in mind Anderson after taking UAB to the tourney had multiple schoosl courting him I did not see a long line of coaches lining up to take the Auburn job. Yet

Auburn was not willing to meet on Anderson's terms. Pretty incompetent

Athletic Department at Auburn and now the basketball program is paying a signficant

price.

Mike Anderson acted like a jerk the last time the job was open. I don't think we want him and the feeling is probably mutual.

The guy at Murray State, Billy Kennedy, looks like the best bet to me.

Athletic Department at Auburn and now the basketball program is paying a signficant

price.

If the imagined "price" we are now paying is due to not caving in to the demands of an arrogant jerk, then I'm ok with that.

price.

If the imagined "price" we are now paying is due to not caving in to the demands of an arrogant jerk, then I'm ok with that.

Actually, I don't really see where wanting them to interview him in Birmingham is being an arrogant jerk. I can understand them wanting him to come down but it sounds to me like both sides were being a little stubborn. Problem is, Anderson held all the cards. He had a good job at UAB and offers from all over the country in his hip pocket. Auburn was in desperate need of a good coach willing to come in with sanctions about to hit. Guess who lost out?

a friend of mine suggested it to me, and after I thought about him, i think i'm ok with the idea:

Tubby Smith?

I would be quite happy if Tubby were the next coach at Auburn. He's a very good coach and a GREAT community guy. By the end of his run at UK, everyone knew that it was time for a change, but nobody wanted to let him go because of the role he and his wife played in Lexington.

Archived