New Coach..Candidates..Feel Free to Weigh In

AUgrad00

Suppose Mr. Supersuccessfulcoach comes to Auburn, wins a bunch and we somehow average 9,000 attendance for 15 home games. At $15 a ticket, total gate revenue will be $2,025,000. Call expenses of operating a team and TV money a wash. I think you can forget Auburn paying a BB coach 4 million dollars.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suppose Mr. Supersuccessfulcoach comes to Auburn, wins a bunch and we somehow average 9,000 attendance for 15 home games. At $15 a ticket, total gate revenue will be $2,025,000. Call expenses of operating a team and TV money a wash. I think you can forget Auburn paying a BB coach 4 million dollars.

Ticket sales are far from the only revenue. If that were the case, Duke would never compete UNC.

The whole point is if you look at that list wartiger posted there are all kinds of not good but great coaches out there to be had with out having to over pay. Yes one day there will be a 5 million dollar coach but wouldn't want him on Auburns dime now. We can easily get a great coach for 1.75- 2 million a year.

The whole point is if you look at that list wartiger posted there are all kinds of not good but great coaches out there to be had with out having to over pay. Yes one day there will be a 5 million dollar coach but wouldn't want him on Auburns dime now. We can easily get a great coach for 1.75- 2 million a year.

I agree. Are we willing to pay that much?

I would agree to a point but if I am a really good coach and I know I am a hot commodity whatever the hell Auburn offers I ask for more. I have what they want they have probably little that I want its not a great job at the moment.

You know I heard an interview with Gary Williams today and it kind of made me rethink the who Lebo situation. He said when he took over Maryland in 1989 they were on probation for three seasons and he felt he could coach but they could not compete on equal footing until that was no longer over their head. That really had me thinking. As bad a start as Lebo got off to and much of it not his fault one really has to question if he has had the chance to compete on equal footing long enough to build a program. Hell his first two seasons he might as well been on probation.

In reality his first season was a wash I would not hold that against him his second season was still in a rebuilding mode. One can say he has had six seasons but in reality the most liberal person would say only five you cannot hold his first season against him and he should have made the tournament last season.

As crappy a start as he got for Ellis left him a mess it would be nice to give him the benefit of the doubt but he has just showed nothing to make me believe he can turn this program around nothing at all. I know it appears I am talking out of both sides of my mouth and maybe I am. Contrary to the prior sentence he has refused to cheat to win hell the same cannot be said about Ellis. There is some value in that. Lebo right or wrong ain't getting Auburn on probation.

So in many ways one could make the argument he should be back but he losses 68% of his scoring going into next year. Bit of a tough call for Jacobs. That's concerning to. Nice guy not sure how competent he is though.

Where Auburn goes and what Auburn does I have no idea. I will say breaking off Lebo for some unproven mid major coach who has never proved his might in a big time conference really would be disappointing. I know Ziggy said Auburn could get a coach for 1 to 2 mil but I wish for once Auburn would at least throw a boatload of jack even if they overpay to get a SPLASH hire. Sorry going after guys like Buzz Peterson and Stan Heath like other SEC schools have done just as big a gamble is firing Ellis to hire Lebo. The question I would ask is it worth a couple more million to pay to ensure you are not playing Russian roulette with the basketball program any longer. I say yes.

This if they decide to make a change.

All this said I would be the farm he is actually back next year.

Baylor coach Scott Drew came into a much worse situation in my opinion. Lebo's situation was by no means easy, but the sanctions handed down to Baylor were very harsh compared to Auburn. For all I know though, Drew may not be interested in Auburn.

From wikipedia, so take it for what's it's worth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor_University_basketball_scandal

Penalties

Baylor continued to investigate the basketball program over the next seven months and released their final report on February 26, 2004. The full list of major program violations included:

Bliss paying for tuition for two players, Dennehy and Corey Herring[2] and attempting to conceal it.

Coaching staff providing meals, transportation, lodging and clothing to athletes.

Coaching staff paying for tuition and fees for a recruit at another school.

Bliss's encouragement of school boosters to donate to a foundation tied to a basketball team that included prospective Baylor recruits.

Failure to report positive drug test results by athletes.

Failure by the entire coaching staff to "exercise institutional control over the basketball program."

Other improprieties of a lesser nature were also discovered.

As a result, the school imposed further penalties on the basketball program. The program's probation was extended for an additional year, scholarships were reduced for the 2004-05 and 2005-06 seasons, expense-paid recruiting visits were also reduced for the next two seasons and other recruiting abilities were also inhibited and one exhibition game was eliminated for the 2004-05 season. Baylor announced that it would recertify its entire athletic department conformed to NCAA rules.

Baylor forwarded its findings to the NCAA, who imposed further penalties on the school on June 23, 2005:

The university's probation was extended until June 22, 2010.

Baylor was barred from playing any nonconference games for the 2005-06 season, the first time such a "half-season" penalty had been imposed.

The NCAA further reduced Baylor's paid recruiting visits from twelve to nine for the 2006-07 season. (Baylor had already imposed restrictions on recruiting visits for the 2004-05 and 2005-06 seasons.)

In addition, other smaller penalties were also imposed on Baylor.

The NCAA also imposed a 10-year "show-cause" order on Bliss for "despicable behavior" and "unethical conduct." This means that until 2015, no NCAA member school can hire Bliss without the permission of the infractions committee. That school must then show cause for why it shouldn't be sanctioned itself. It is the most severe penalty the NCAA can hand a coach; most schools will not even consider hiring someone with a show-cause order outstanding. The NCAA found that Bliss and his staff had demonstrated "a blatant and sweeping disregard" for NCAA rules. Besides paying parts of Dennehy and Herring's tuition, Bliss admitted that he'd concealed under-the-table payments to Herring and lied to both the NCAA and Baylor investigators. He also admitted to telling assistant coaches to file false expense reports and lie to Baylor investigators.

Doug Ash, who had been Bliss' top assistant throughout Bliss' coaching career at Oklahoma, SMU, New Mexico and Baylor; was hit with a five-year "show-cause" order. Another former assistant, Rodney Belcher, was hit with a seven-year "show-cause" order for committing recruiting violations in bringing Dennehy to Baylor and lying about them to the infractions committee.

In its final report, the NCAA called the violations at Baylor as serious as those which occurred at SMU almost 20 years earlier. Indeed, Baylor was eligible for the "death penalty" since its men's tennis program was on probation for major violations; the NCAA can hand down the death penalty for a second major violation within five years, even if it occurs in a different sport. However, it praised Baylor for taking prompt action once the violations came to light (in marked contrast to SMU, where there was evidence that administrators knew about the violations and did nothing).

The scandal left Baylor's basketball program in ruin. Under new coach Scott Drew, the Bears only won a total of 36 games (and only 13 conference games) from 2003 to 2007. However, Drew quickly turned the program around after his recruits arrived; the Bears made the NCAA Tournament in 2008 and finished second in the 2009 NIT.

Baylor has ony made the NCAA Tournament 5 times: 1946, 1948, 1950, 1988, 2008

I would jump for joy if we could get Drew or Tubby to come to Auburn. I don't think it will happen for the fact that AU athletic dept basically does not care that much for the sport. It is all about football. This is the same reason I see Lebo back next year. I am sure the rallying cry next year will be, "...but Lebo has only had one year in the new arena...".

:banghead:

(I will also add, I don't think either would want to come to Auburn and leave the success they have at their schools.)

I would jump for joy if we could get Drew or Tubby to come to Auburn. I don't think it will happen for the fact that AU athletic dept basically does not care that much for the sport. It is all about football. This is the same reason I see Lebo back next year. I am sure the rallying cry next year will be, "...but Lebo has only had one year in the new arena...".

(I will also add, I don't think either would want to come to Auburn and leave the success they have at their schools.)

Yeah, its pretty clear the administration doesn't care about basketball at all. That's why we are finishing up a $92 Million arena. We aren't going to actually use it, we just built it because we could.

Yeah, its pretty clear the administration doesn't care about basketball at all. That's why we are finishing up a $92 Million arena. We aren't going to actually use it, we just built it because we could.

I understand that we have a brand new arena, but I am not so sure that was done because anyone cares about the BB team. I feel it was just to upgrade a dinosaur of a multi-use building like Beard-Eaves. We will see how much the AD cares about BB at the end of the season. No one who cares about the program could possibly keep Lebo around.

I understand that we have a brand new arena, but I am not so sure that was done because anyone cares about the BB team. I feel it was just to upgrade a dinosaur of a multi-use building like Beard-Eaves. We will see how much the AD cares about BB at the end of the season. No one who cares about the program could possibly keep Lebo around.

I'm sorry, but they didn't spend $92 million primarily to give us a shiny new multi-purpose building. That's just myopia and frustration talking.

I'm sure that search firm in Florida (which specializes in college basketball coaches) has been called to formulate a plan on a possible successor. I'd like to think Jacobs would follow their advice but we'll have to see if the new hire is done on the cheap.

NAME THIS COACH.

Which head coach has led TWO Division I schools to their highest single season win totals...and done it in the last five years?

NAME THIS COACH.

Which head coach has led TWO Division I schools to their highest single season win totals...and done it in the last five years?

I know Calipari led Memphis to its highest single season win total (38) in 2008 but he has only won 29 so far at Kentucky where the record is 35. Hmm, let me think about this one.

NAME THIS COACH.

I know Calipari led Memphis to its highest single season win total (38) in 2008 but he has only won 29 so far at Kentucky where the record is 35. Hmm, let me think about this one.

HINT:

The first of the two schools earned their first ever NCAA tournament berth the same year

NAME THIS COACH.

HINT:

The first of the two schools earned their first ever NCAA tournament berth the same year

I think you're mistaking this for a UNC or UK board.

It's the board of a school looking for a coach to turn the basketball program around, right?

It's the board of a school looking for a coach to turn the basketball program around, right?

I'm just kidding. You make me do too much research.

I'm just kidding. You make me do too much research.

Billy Kennedy led Southeastern Louisiana to their greatest win total ever in 2004-2005 (24-9) and their first ever NCAA appearance. Five years later he has led Murray State to 30 wins, the most ever for a school with a tremendous winning tradition. His second year as a head coach, he led Centenary to a 15-15 record--an amazing coaching effort that got him the job at Southeastern. He's now been successful building programs from the depths as well as creating even more winning at an established program.

Some big time school is going to be very lucky to get him.

From Scarbinsky's article he said exactly what I said.

The problem I have is this AU is going to take another huge risk by clipping Lebo and bringing in another mid major coach. Billy Kennedy may be the next Dean Smith but at this point Im sick of AU taking chances Jacobs needs to hire a guy that has already proven he can win in a big time confence. I stick with Scott Drew. Year one Baylor was 0-16 year three they made the tourney. They are not taking a gamble with him and its a damn sure upgrade.

But I have little faith in Jacobs even making a play for the guy. Much like Alabama basically stalked Nick Saban to steal him from Miami I would do the same damn thing with Drew.

Kevin Scarbinsky.

"If you’re going to spend $90 million on a new arena, you can’t be reluctant to spend $1.5 million to move out the old coach or $1.5 million a year for the next five years to hire a better one.

Is Lebo the best coach Auburn can get at the moment? That’s the bottom line. It’s often easier to fire the current coach than hire a better one, and Mike Krzyzewski ain’t coming.

No doubt Auburn will have to take the kind of risk in replacing Lebo that it took in hiring a coach from Chattanooga in the first place. It’ll have to hire an existing college head coach who’s unproven at the SEC level or a major college assistant who’s unproven as a head coach."

Billy Kennedy led Southeastern Louisiana to their greatest win total ever in 2004-2005 (24-9) and their first ever NCAA appearance. Five years later he has led Murray State to 30 wins, the most ever for a school with a tremendous winning tradition. His second year as a head coach, he led Centenary to a 15-15 record--an amazing coaching effort that got him the job at Southeastern. He's now been successful building programs from the depths as well as creating even more winning at an established program.

The problem I have is this AU is going to take another huge risk by clipping Lebo and bringing in another mid major coach. Billy Kennedy may be the next Dean Smith but at this point Im sick of AU taking chances Jacobs needs to hire a guy that has already proven he can win in a big time confence. I stick with Scott Drew. Year one Baylor was 0-16 year three they made the tourney. They are not taking a gamble with him and its a damn sure upgrade.

But I have little faith in Jacobs even making a play for the guy. Much like Alabama basically stalked Nick Saban to steal him from Miami I would do the same damn thing with Drew.

Kevin Scarbinsky.

"If you’re going to spend $90 million on a new arena, you can’t be reluctant to spend $1.5 million to move out the old coach or $1.5 million a year for the next five years to hire a better one.

Is Lebo the best coach Auburn can get at the moment? That’s the bottom line. It’s often easier to fire the current coach than hire a better one, and Mike Krzyzewski ain’t coming.

No doubt Auburn will have to take the kind of risk in replacing Lebo that it took in hiring a coach from Chattanooga in the first place. It’ll have to hire an existing college head coach who’s unproven at the SEC level or a major college assistant who’s unproven as a head coach."

Now with Oregon getting rid of Kent I would like to go after him. As for Scott you want to talk about proven. 1 trip to NCAA so far isnt experience. yes program was in shambles when he took over but honestly Baylor has a better recruiting area and facilities than Auburn.

I would disgree with a little of this Demarcus Cousin, Bledsoe and Derrick Favors are all well within Auburn's area there is good talent.

Secondly Baylor made Auburn look like Duke when Drew took over. They had NCAA probation, a coach who is currently in the federal pen, one player who murdered another then a coach who attempted to destroy the reputation of the deceased player to cover up his own wrongdoings and a season in his first year where they did not even play a preconference schedule and I believe went 0-16 in the league.

If Drew can clean up that mess he damn sure can win at Auburn. He is a relentless recruiter and while he may only have one NCAA tourney bid that is still one more then Lebo is going to sniff anytime soon. I mean Lebo has been a head coach for what 12 years and NEVER been to the NCAA tourney. It cant be ALL Auburn's fault.

Now with Oregon getting rid of Kent I would like to go after him. As for Scott you want to talk about proven. 1 trip to NCAA so far isnt experience. yes program was in shambles when he took over but honestly Baylor has a better recruiting area and facilities than Auburn.

Kevin Scarbinsky.

If that's the case, Baylor hasn't show those advantages over Auburn and created success up until now.

Drew got Baylor ranked for the first time in over 30 years when they went to the NCAA Tournament in 08. They're currently ranked now with a better record than in 08.

Baylor had a drought between NCAA Tournament appearances. 1988-2008. Auburn had a drought from 1988- 1999.

Baylor's only had 5 NCAA Tournament appearances in their history. 1 of them was obviously under Drew. They're going to the NCAA Tournament this year too. So he's going to be the coach that's gotten Baylor there 2 those 6 appearances.

"Baylor has a better recruiting area and facilities than Auburn."

Auburn, with Atlanta, Columbus, B'ham and Mobile withing easy distance has much more to work with than what's at Waco.

Facilities don't matter. Coleman at Tuskaloser isn't any better than BEMC and UAT recruits lights out compared to what we've done recently. Get a winning coach the players believe in and recruits will come.

Archived