Kobe Bryant

Tigermike

Is justice served by making Kobe Bryant's accuser testify about her sexual past?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is justice served by making Kobe Bryant's accuser testify about her sexual past?

• Is justice served by making Kobe Bryant\'s accuser testify about her sexual past?
    • Yes
    • No Should Kobe ALSO be required to testify about his sexual past?Yes
    • No

Personally I think if she is required to testify about her past I think he should as well. He is the one on trial after all.

Sorry I screwed this poll up. The questions were supposed to be YES and NO for her and YES and NO for him.

This is a sticky topic. Too many times rape along with race and gender discrimination, have been "cried" too often when it wasn't true.

Is Kobe guilty of having sex with this girl? YES, but he has admitted this. So what do you gain from him stating his sexual past? She is claiming rape, which is a serious charge. If he is guilty, lock him away forever! You could do more in my opinion but that has little to do with my point.

If this girl is claiming rape, and she had sex with someone else shortly after, IMO that discredits her somewhat. I know a girl that has been raped before. It was by a total stranger who is rotting in jail right now. He got off easy! She will live with this for the rest of her life. She will tell you sex was the last thing on her mind for a long-long-long time.

If KB's accuser had sex before the "rape," I feel that has nothing to do with this crime. If this girl is sleeping with someone else hours later, I find it hard to believe she was raped.

Even if she was a nasty, skanky, slut before her encounter with KB, it has nothing to do with this case. But if she continued her skanky ways hours later, I think it is very important to this case and it is up to the jury to decide how important that info is.

Shaq should testify about his involvement in all of this. Little known fact that he set this whole thing up. It's a conspiracy, my brothers...c-o-n...spiracy!

The reason she should have to testify about her sexual encounters, particularly the ones in the days before and after the encounter with Kobe happened, is that part of the prosecution's case revolves around physical evidence of forced sex...tearing, bruising, etc. If she was having sex with other people during that time, you can't point to that and say it had to have happened because Kobe raped her.

The other thing is, there is some doubt as to exactly how and when during the encounter the girl made her desire to stop known. It's not even clear that she verbally said "no" or "stop". But even if she did, it's a he said/she said deal. If the pattern of her past behavior is to say "yes", and say it often to multiple partners, then that would have to at least be taken into account when you're trying to decide whether you believe that in this case she said "no".

Put it this way...if it was you, or your son on trial for this, and he insists that while he did something stupid (cheating on his wife), he absolutely did not rape the girl, would you think it was reasonable to ask these kinds of questions of the girl?

these are impossible situations...absolutely impossible.

there is not a right answer. even typing that makes me feel dirty & disrespectful for the supposed victim... yet again, kobe is entitled to his defense.

there is not a right answer.

I think these questionings about her past could be viewed as violations of the Rape Shield Law, which protects the victims of rape from having to go through what Kobe's accuser had to go through.

I understand that questions were raised about injuries, but doesn't the burden of proof ultimately lie with the state. The defense could have just brought up these questions in court and raised reasonable doubt without an entire sexual history from the victim.

Unfortunately, I think this will only further prevent other women from coming forward in rape cases, especially if the accused is rich and/or famous. JMO.

The problem with the rape shield law, as it is trying to be applied here, is that it conflicts with our justice system's natural tilt in favor of the accused (innocent until proven guilty).

The credibility of the one making the accusation is a critical part of any defense, regardless of the crime. If a pattern of behavior is shown that calls the veracity of their claim (ESPECIALLY in a he said/she said scenario) into question, it should be part of the equation.

I understand the need to protect rape victims from unwarranted invasions of their privacy and sexual past. I do. I'm not saying that simply being promiscuous means that raping that person is OK either. But, the problem is, rape has become such a charged issue in the country that the mere accusation is enough to severely damage one's reputation...even if the victim is totally making the whole thing up. That goes double for someone who is famous and derives a sizeable portion of their livelihood from endorsements and such that trades on that reputation.

The bottom line is, the defendant has a right to put on a full defense. We're talking about a man's life and freedom here. Our justice system is based on the principle that it's better to let a guilty man go free than it is to have an innocent man be wrongly convicted. If this girl is lying or exaggerating, you're talking about a man going to jail for 10-20 years or more, probably losing his marriage, losing his livelihood, and his reputation. You'd better be damn sure the proof is there...and that you're not suppressing information that would cast reasonable doubt on the prosecution's case...before you say that her sexual encounters, particularly the ones in the days surrounding the one with Kobe, are off limits.

I don't think his sexual history has anything to do with it.

WAR EAGLE FOREVER

Well, it might have had something to do with it...if the prosecution could demonstrate that Kobe had a history of sexual encounters where the women involved said he coerced them into it, or if he had been convicted of sexual assault or rape before. That's fair game too. But, Kobe apparently doesn't have a history of anything like this so it's not applicable to this particular case.

TT thats a good point. I didn't think of it like that. If kobe's past sex partners were raped or said that he handled them in a harse way that could hurt him.

Thanks for making that point tt.

WAR EAGLE FOREVER

TT thats a good point. I didn't think of it like that. If kobe's past sex partners were raped or said that he handled them in a harse way that could hurt him.

Thanks for making that point tt.

WAR EAGLE FOREVER

I would think that if kobe had done that to other women, they would have come forward after the charges were filed. Kinda of like the CU situation, the more that allege, the more that accuse. All I am trying to say is that people find strength in numbers and if this had happened to other women they would be more confident in coming forward. But now that she has been forced to testify that setiment has completely reversed itself.

I would think that if kobe had done that to other women, they would have come forward after the charges were filed

Not if they had been paid to keep quiet. I am not saying that happened, but it would not be the first time a big name athlete, movie star, politician paid to keep things quiet. Jessie Jackson did for years didn't he.

Archived