Peaches switches Calloway back to bammer (updated)

RunInRed

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If all the rumors are true I really feel for this kid. And while as a Auburn fan I would love to selfishly have him as a Auburn Tiger, as a Human being I just hope the kid is allowed to follow his heart. Regardless of his decision tomorrow I wish him luck. This whole story brings to light the pressure that young men face when it comes down to the dirty business of recruiting.

It's sad that grown adults have (as it looks now) strongarmed two kids that wanted to go to Auburn into going to Bama. First Chris Jones and now Calloway. Completely ridiculous.

If all the rumors are true I really feel for this kid. And while as a Auburn fan I would love to selfishly have him as a Auburn Tiger, as a Human being I just hope the kid is allowed to follow his heart. Regardless of his decision tomorrow I wish him luck. This whole story brings to light the pressure that young men face when it comes down to the dirty business of recruiting.

What stinks about this is if he declares for UAT it won't be his decision, it will be because he's been forced to do it. Pitiful.

The Chris Jones situation that Titan mentioned was crystal clear after a few weeks: Sign with Auburn and mom loses her job. Something's going on here but it will probably be a week or two before it comes out.

So why would a coach even want a player who clearly doesn't want to be there? Would that not raise questions of how it might affect his on-field performance?

Bear Bryant always recruited kids that he knew had no chance of playing for his team. This depleted the talent available to his rivals. The coach may not want the player. Of course, with the limited number of scholarships available now I don't know if this is still a valid tactic at the Evil Empire.

So why would a coach even want a player who clearly doesn't want to be there? Would that not raise questions of how it might affect his on-field performance?

The same reason Jerry Seinfeld returned that blazer....Spite.

I'd laugh my ass off if Calloway signed with Sabear then walked off the team.

That's a sorry situation if it turns out he is coerced to going to West Vance. Much like mentioned above with Chris Jones. I used to think college football recruiting was about influencing the ATHLETE, not their parents or guardians.

Sadly, Scarb is reporting he's not even in his hometime, Russellville, and skipped his high school B-ball game Monday:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/02/scarbinsky_brent_calloway_leav.html

But Calloway is a lot more than a high school football player who's about to put the most important decision of his young life in writing.

He's a high school student, but he didn't attend class the last two days. He's a high school basketball player, but he didn't play in his team's game Monday.

"He's not even in Russellville," said his high school basketball coach, Michael Smith. "He'll be back after the signing."

Back in school and back on the basketball team, sure. But back to normal? Calloway can only hope.

Smith didn't say where Calloway was. The fact that he wasn't at home, at school and on the court so far this week was a sad statement all its own.

It was extraordinary to hear a father be critical of his son in public, especially considering that Calloway has been the object of ridicule from outside his family after switching his non-binding pledge from Alabama to Auburn.

This was the message on a sign spotted at Saturday's Alabama-LSU basketball game in Tuscaloosa: "Brent Calloway = Benedict Arnold." That was mild compared to the threats and ill wishes Calloway told The Times Daily in Florence he'd received on his Facebook page.

Can you imagine the mind of a person who would criticize a teenager, let alone threaten him, because he wanted to play college football here rather than there? Sadly, if you follow recruiting, you can.

If someone of influence in his life is so concerned about him doing the right thing, honesty, keeping commitments, etc., what about his commentment to the rest of his basketball team? Skipping classes for the last two days hurts only him...and might be understandable considering the pressure of the last week. But skipping out on the game hurts his whole team!

FYI

Brent Calloway to announce his college intentions around 10 a.m. Central tomorrow at Russellville HS.

@shaneyoungblood

Isn't Shane Youngblood one of the bamzo's favorite rumor mongers? That tells us something. Brent is barred from any contact with Auburn coaches, even the guy who is planning to be his room mate at Auburn can't be contacted, yet some bammer mouthpiece is getting information.

I CANNOT fathom why $aban would want somebody to sign with his team when the kid doesn't want to be there and is being forced to sign. That's simply wasting a slot. College football is tough enough when you're happy about it. If somebody is forced to go somewhere he doesn't want to be, it's a waste of everybody's time and resources.

This is a freaking nightmare. We're getting BRENT CALLOWAY?!?! :banghead:

Please no. God, please no. Not only is he overrated, he apparently does not want to play for Alabama. And if Youngblood is the guy reporting the information -- all signs point to Tuscaloosa.

Where's the Tylenol?

I'm just curious... How many times have you seen this kid play? Your animosity to him is disgusting.

BigSammy, don't you know Win by now? His answer will be along the lines of

"I've seen him play at least a dozen times, along with every other athlete Alabama and Auburn are recruiting, and I can tell you as a matter of fact that he's the worst of the lot. Not only that, I know from personal experience, having witnessed it myself, that he beats old ladies and kicks dogs. I wouldn't want him even if he brought Crowell and Clowney with him. Unless of course he signs with us, in which case the only thing I have to say is Roll Tahd!, I better go get me another recruiting national championship t-shirt at WalMart."

BigSammy, don't you know Win by now? His answer will be along the lines of

"I've seen him play at least a dozen times, along with every other athlete Alabama and Auburn are recruiting, and I can tell you as a matter of fact that he's the worst of the lot. Not only that, I know from personal experience, having witnessed it myself, that he beats old ladies and kicks dogs. I wouldn't want him even if he brought Crowell and Clowney with him. Unless of course he signs with us, in which case the only thing I have to say is Roll Tahd!, I better go get me another recruiting national championship t-shirt at WalMart."

spot on

Calloway to bammer. Daddy strongarms kid. Great parenting.

I couldn't agree more! Signed - Cecil Newton

Well the douchebag has come back.

I couldn't agree more! Signed - Cecil Newton

Well the douchebag has come back.

Asshat is more like it. :moon:

I predict a transfer elsewhere within two years. Hard to excel when your heart's not in it.

Wow....unbelievable. That's pretty disgusting. Let the kid decide.

Who cares....We ARE the champs! We are getting it done on and off the field. Best of luck to the young man.....he may need it!

Surprise, Surprise! No mention of the Peaches drama on ESPN when mentioning Brent.

Wouldn't surprise me if Peaches actually signed the paperwork for Brent himself, just to make sure...

Archived