Barrett Trotter (Lengthy)

StatTiger

Though the real players in the SEC west are LSU and Bama, can we go ahead and work for the future with Frazier at QB? I know he had the bad int in the 3rd when driving, but Barret continues to overthrow open receivers and crap his pants under pressure. He has no ability to simply throw the ball away when a play is dead and takes 5-6 yard losses. I'm sorry, but he makes NO progressions and stares down receivers. His good QB ratings came against terrible defenses and with wide open receivers. Let's be real, we will not contend for the West this year. If we play Frazier, we can contend next year.

Well...utilizing your logic, how is Auburn going to contend when Frazier throws 2 picks on both attempts to throw beyond the line of scrimmage? Did he not stare down both passes and failed to go through his progressions. This came against an average SEC defense. Before you use the the true freshman excuse, the true freshman QB at Utah State did not throw 2 picks during his first 5 career pass attempts. During his first pass attempt a few weeks ago, he crapped in his pants under pressure and threw a low pass that should have been a TD and that came against one of the worst teams in the country. He should be very familiar with the offensive system since he played in it for 3 years at the HS level.

See how that works? ANYONE one can be an armchair quarterback and has out a bunch of assumptions.

Though the real players in the SEC west are LSU and Bama, can we go ahead and work for the future with Frazier at QB? I know he had the bad int in the 3rd when driving, but Barret continues to overthrow open receivers and crap his pants under pressure. He has no ability to simply throw the ball away when a play is dead and takes 5-6 yard losses. I'm sorry, but he makes NO progressions and stares down receivers. His good QB ratings came against terrible defenses and with wide open receivers. Let's be real, we will not contend for the West this year. If we play Frazier, we can contend next year.

Well...utilizing your logic, how is Auburn going to contend when Frazier throws 2 picks on both attempts to throw beyond the line of scrimmage? Did he not stare down both passes and failed to go through his progressions. This came against an average SEC defense. Before you use the the true freshman excuse, the true freshman QB at Utah State did not throw 2 picks during his first 5 career pass attempts. During his first pass attempt a few weeks ago, he crapped in his pants under pressure and threw a low pass that should have been a TD and that came against one of the worst teams in the country. He should be very familiar with the offensive system since he played in it for 3 years at the HS level.

See how that works? ANYONE one can be an armchair quarterback and has out a bunch of assumptions.

My point was that we were NEVER going to contend this year for the west and the question for the masses is at what point do we play for the future? Should we just take our lumps with Frazier and let him develop?

Is he getting passing reps with the 1st team in practice, I wouldn't know. I do firmly believe Frazier's ceiling is way higher than Barret's and he can truly run the spread option that Malzahn's offense will thrive in (we can see the running threat he poses). After six games and two poor performances the past past two weeks, I have watched Barret go backwards instead of improving. Does an extra loss or even two really matter if it gives valuable time to Frazier for development? Barret has had plenty of time to learn the system and I just don't think he is a starting caliber QB in the SEC.

Greatly appreciate your contributions to the forum and time breaking down games, I only occasionally watch a game a 2nd time which pales to what you must spend. Respectfully... my "armchair assumption" is that we have a very predictable offense right now, with hardly any threat throwing down field with Barret. The play calling leads me to believe Gus has little confidence in him, as well.

I think we have to play Trotter and maybe give Mosley a shot if this continues, but Fraizer isn't ready to play. He has some growing to do before we give him the keys. If we force it on him now, it could do him in later. Easing him in is the best way to work this out. Trotter sure could have been helped by Benton a few times in that game. The under throw to Stallworth was a killer, but he didn't lose the game. It was a lot of things that added up to a loss.

BTW....I still have yet to see a hold on Lutz that killed our 7 minute drive coming out of the locker room. There were several calls that shouldn't have happened, and ONE big one that should have (Thorpe was held BIG TIME on the 92 yard run that swung the game in Arky's favor.............when a player puts his hands inside the shoulder pads under your chin and uses it to throw you out of the way, that's a hold)..... :blink:

Archived