UAT kills UAB on-campus stadium proposal

jaredm2012

Everybody forgets that when SPUAT said 400,000 was too much for UAB to pay Jimbo Fisher, within a few days, like 2 maybe, they said $4,000,000 was not too much to pay the midget from Miami who kept saying how many times do I have to say, "I am not gonna be the Coach at Alabama." And you know the only thing wrong with Legion Field is that "DA BAER" is not leaning up against the goal posts there anymore.

I think Jimbo Fisher and Nick Saban are both happy the way it worked out.

Everybody forgets that when SPUAT said 400,000 was too much for UAB to pay Jimbo Fisher, within a few days, like 2 maybe, they said $4,000,000 was not too much to pay the midget from Miami who kept saying how many times do I have to say, "I am not gonna be the Coach at Alabama." And you know the only thing wrong with Legion Field is that "DA BAER" is not leaning up against the goal posts there anymore.

I think Jimbo Fisher and Nick Saban are both happy the way it worked out.

Yes they are. And the loser is....UAB, just as the brokers at UAT wanted it to be. Don't it make you proud to be a bamzo?

If I remember right, UAB was only going to pay Fisher something like $250-300 k out of their pocket. The balance of the 400K was coming from UAB athletic donors. The real reason for the REC squashing the Fisher hire was that the cns deal was in the works and they thought that the midget wanted Fisher as his OC. It was all purely self serving for the uat ptb. Fisher had agreed in principal and was just waiting on the official word from UAB. When that fell thru, he did not have any desire to work for the midget and looked elsewhere.

We underpaid...

Not really. You were bidding against yourself. He was looking for a way out of Miami, and Bama was clearly the best job of the market. If by "underpaid" you mean "paid above market value at the time for no apparent reason," yes, you underpaid.

You guys are hilarious. Blaming this on Alabama.

You REALLY think UAB deserves some big football facility? Please. They need to put that program out to pasture. They're getting, what, a few thousand per game?

Face it, anybody living in Birmingham who cares about football is either a Bama or Auburn fan.

There's really no one else to blame it on. UAT has UAB under their thumb and at pretty much every turn makes moves to keep them from having any chance to rise above their current status.

Now, the other thing is, the situation just isn't as simple as "UAB should drop football." Conference USA is an all sports conference meaning, you have to have a football program to participate in all the other sports in C-USA. Dropping football would have a huge negative impact on UABs basketball program, which is good enough to be at least at the C-USA level if not higher. Not to mention all the other sports.

Plus, this is the classic chicken/egg scenario. Even with that dump of a stadium, UAB averages over 18,000 per game which is right even with Troy. If they get that much support with people having to travel to the ghetto to a stadium that's way to large and has few ameneties, you have to think they'd be able to draw better crowds and make more money with an on-campus, appropriately sized venue with luxury suites and better amenities. So do you make them show more support under rotten circumstances or do you build knowing that common sense says they'd garner much more support with their own nice, new facility?

But see, I don't think the UAT BOT cares about any of that. If the consequence of this decision is that UAB eventually shutters the football program and the basketball program gets relegated so some bottom-feeder league that can't compete as well against the UAT basketball program, that's just gravy to them. Any move that might give UAB any chance to rise above their station just isn't going to happen...unless UAB decides to break away from the UA system altogether and become and independent university.

Not really. You were bidding against yourself. He was looking for a way out of Miami, and Bama was clearly the best job of the market. If by "underpaid" you mean "paid above market value at the time for no apparent reason," yes, you underpaid.

You don't think we've earned our money back tenfold?

That's not the question. $aban has done an amazing job. Compared to current coaching salaries, he's appropriately paid. The question is: why pay a record amount when you don't have to do it? Bama absolutely, unquestionably, undebatably changed the wage scale in college football, and that major uptick was completely unexpected. Alabama set the market for a coach that would've taken the job for less. That makes him overpaid as compared to the market at the time and as compared to what Bama needed to pay. They bid against themselves. Whether he's earned back the money or not doesn't change the fact that, as an initial matter, Bama overpaid.

As compared to the current market (which only exists due to the massive surge Bama started), he is appropriately compensated. He's neither over- or under-paid at the moment.

I will say the economy has a lot to do with it right now. :no:

Meanwhile the Board at Thursdays meeting voted to approve projects that include an $8 MILLION digital media center at Bryant-Denny Stadium, a $62 MILLION dorm, and a $24 million student center at UA.

Yep, tough economy.... meanwhile UAB football team often can't even get hot water to shower with after games at Legion Field.

:moon:

I will say the economy has a lot to do with it right now. :no:

Meanwhile the Board at Thursdays meeting voted to approve projects that include an $8 MILLION digital media center at Bryant-Denny Stadium, a $62 MILLION dorm, and a $24 million student center at UA.

Yep, tough economy.... meanwhile UAB football team often can't even get hot water to shower with after games at Legion Field.

I just read this morning where one of the UA trustees, Bryant Jr I believe, said he wouldn't ever vote for it unless it could be completely funded by the athletic department. I think a lot of us forget how much money Auburn and Alabama's programs bring in compared to UAB. That being said, UAB's football program will never have a chance of bringing in big money unless it's out of the UA system..

Also, another interesting tidbit.. If you get your MD at UAB then your diploma says "University of Alabama" but if you get any other degree from UAB then it says "University of Alabama at Birmingham." If UAB didn't have a medical school, I really don't believe the UA system would even want it.

That's not the question. $aban has done an amazing job. Compared to current coaching salaries, he's appropriately paid. The question is: why pay a record amount when you don't have to do it? Bama absolutely, unquestionably, undebatably changed the wage scale in college football, and that major uptick was completely unexpected. Alabama set the market for a coach that would've taken the job for less. That makes him overpaid as compared to the market at the time and as compared to what Bama needed to pay. They bid against themselves. Whether he's earned back the money or not doesn't change the fact that, as an initial matter, Bama overpaid.

As compared to the current market (which only exists due to the massive surge Bama started), he is appropriately compensated. He's neither over- or under-paid at the moment.

Actually, the ND coach was making something close to 4M when we hired Saban.

You guys are hilarious. Blaming this on Alabama.

You REALLY think UAB deserves some big football facility? Please. They need to put that program out to pasture. They're getting, what, a few thousand per game?

Face it, anybody living in Birmingham who cares about football is either a Bama or Auburn fan.

As a UCF fan I beg to differ. UCF had an average attendance at the citris bowl of 19,000 or so. They built BHNS and the attendance has jumped to as high as 45,500. UAB deserves a chance, this is pathetic they won't let them build one.

Actually, no one knows how much the Notre Dame coach was or is making. As a private institution, they don't have to disclose how much they pay or what other benefits are included in the contract, and they don't. Bob Davie, Bob Davie, Ty Willingham, and Charlie Weis didn't set the market. Nick Saban did.

I don't care if you're completely indifferent to the fact that your athletic department overpaid to get a coach that would've taken less money. I don't care if he's brought in more than he was paid. I'm just stating a fact that his salary completely skewed the base salary for his profession in the same way that A-Rod's $250M contract destroyed the salary scale in baseball. Both guys were overpaid. It's not a question of if. It's just a fact. As the market currently sits, he's appropriately compensated, BUT at the time of he took the Bama job his compensation was grossly out of proportion to everyone else in his field. He was looking for an out in Miami, and he absolutely would've taken the job with a clause that said "you're the highest paid coach in college by $100." Instead, you handed him almost $1M more than anyone else was making. That's the definition of overpaying.

Thursday I talked to two UAB students that were really angry about this. They were getting a bus-load up and joining several other groups to stage a protest on the UAT campus.

If the B'ham media covered any of this I haven't seen it. They wouldn't want to get Lil' Bahr mad at them, would they?

Archived