Updated (7/29/12-Topics Merged): Mike Dyer dismissed from Arkansas State

Duder

Dyer has cost himself MILLIONS. Work ethic and character issues--dumbest move he could have made was to run away from it. He won't get cleared to play this year so he'll sit out, probably declare for the draft and offer a resume of:

-Solid 2010 season, partially as a back-up

-Solid 2011 season, pulled because of attitude problems, off-field stuff

-His gun being used in an armed robbery

-Admitted drug use, including weed

Kid just thee away his golden ticket

While I agree that Dyer is probably his own worst enemy (and I absolutely hope he gets knocked on his can if he ever comes back to JHS), I think you have to give credit where credit's due:

- All-time leading freshman rusher at Auburn ("Tailback U," right?)

- BCSNCG MVP, again as a true freshman

- 2011 All-SEC First Team

I'd call that better than "Solid."

Now what does he have???

A trophy that names him as the MVP of the national championship game. Wish I had one with my name on it.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JB33, I agree -- the sour attitude towards Dyer stems from off the field stuff, there's no need to undersell his accomplishments while he was at Auburn.

Dyer has cost himself MILLIONS. Work ethic and character issues--dumbest move he could have made was to run away from it. He won't get cleared to play this year so he'll sit out, probably declare for the draft and offer a resume of:

While I agree that Dyer is probably his own worst enemy (and I absolutely hope he gets knocked on his can if he ever comes back to JHS), I think you have to give credit where credit's due:

Now what does he have???

A trophy that names him as the MVP of the national championship game. Wish I had one with my name on it.

I'm sorry that wont pay the bills, certainly not like being a first round draft pick. What a waste. Relegated to being a footnote in college football history.

Now what does he have???

I'm sorry that wont pay the bills, certainly not like being a first round draft pick. What a waste. Relegated to being a footnote in college football history.

Based on his behavior in Lee County Circuit Court a few weeks ago, he still needs to turn things around fast.

In 10 years Dyer's story may be one of those specials on ESPN about great players that did not make it......

• 1 month later...

Per @AStateNation, Dyer was denied his appeal and will not be eligible in 2012.

@BarrettSallee makes a good point that Dyer is eligible for the draft after this season and might not ever take a snap at ASU.

No mo Mike Clarrett Dyer. Let's hope for the sake of the Jonesboro community that he doesn't start talking about hittin' a lick. The 2013 NFL Draft is a long way away...

http://www.arkansassports360.com/84992/report-dyer-denied-eligibility-waiver-from-ncaa-will-not-suit-up-for-red-wolves-in-2012

Michael Dyer will not be eligible to play for Arkansas State in 2012.

Dyer, who transferred from Auburn, petitioned the NCAA for immediate eligibility, but the request was denied. ASU confirmed in a release that Dyer, a former all-SEC performer, would not play this season.

ASU will have a high profile transfer at running back in 2012, however. David Oku sat out last season after leaving Tennessee. He is immediately eligible.

ArkansasSports360.com will update this story.

Dyer has thrown away millions of dollars in future pro football earnings and maybe even a shot at a Heisman.......just amazing....

Dyer has thrown away millions of dollars in future pro football earnings and maybe even a shot at a Heisman.......just amazing....

Just stayin' true to himself, yo.

http://www.arkansass...-wolves-in-2012

Michael Dyer will not be eligible to play for Arkansas State in 2012.

Dyer, who transferred from Auburn, petitioned the NCAA for immediate eligibility, but the request was denied. ASU confirmed in a release that Dyer, a former all-SEC performer, would not play this season.

ASU will have a high profile transfer at running back in 2012, however. David Oku sat out last season after leaving Tennessee. He is immediately eligible.

ArkansasSports360.com will update this story.

Wow, never saw that coming.... /scarcasm.

Dyer may have played his last game of organized football sans Arena League somewhere. Is the NFL going to put up with a 5'8"/215 RB with average speed, questionable judgement, huge chip on his shoulder and poor work ethic??? If I were an NFL GM I wouldn't even give Dyer a sniff, too many other available players that aren't headcases. What a waste.

• 2 weeks later...
Former Auburn Running Back Michael Dyer Transferring, 2013 Draft Stock Rising

hi-res-127824253_crop_650x440.jpg?1342665046

Former Auburn running back Michael Dyer may be on the move again.

After being released from scholarship at Auburn, Dyer landed at Arkansas State under his former offensive coordinator and Arkansas State head coach Gus Malzahn. Now that's rumored to be changing.

According to two sources within the Pittsburg State University football program in Pittsburg, Kan., Dyer is headed to Division II, where he will likely be able to play in 2012 under NCAA transfer rules. The NFL draft is within sight for Dyer, who will be three years removed from his high school graduation in time for the 2013 NFL draft, but rehabilitating his draft stock will be the focus here.

Dyer follows a similar situation as former Florida cornerback Janoris Jenkins, who was kicked off the Gators football team and landed at North Alabama, where he was able to play for one season before heading to the NFL—where he became an early second-round pick of the St. Louis Rams. Like Jenkins, Dyer's desire to keep his draft stock high by remaining in action.

Pitt State may not be Auburn, but they did take home the Division II national championship last season and will give Dyer a marquee small-school platform to play for. The talent level isn't great, and Dyer will have the ability to produce large numbers, which will keep his name in the headlines throughout the season.

The 2012 draft featured several high selections of Division II products, notably Jenkins and guard Amini Silatolu (another second-rounder). Making the jump from DII to the NFL isn't impossible, especially when playing for a relatively high-profile program such as Pitt State.

The key for Dyer is playing well enough to get an invite to the NFL scouting combine. If he can produce and if Pitt State makes another playoff run, Dyer's chances of going from preseason top 50 player to 2013 NFL draft pick are great.

If the Little Rock, Arkansas native can match his 1,242 yards from 2011 and put up the same type of impact he did during the national championship game from the 2010 season, Dyer will put Pitt State on the map (again) in 2012 and rehabilitate his stock as a legitimate feature back at the next level.

The bottom line for Dyer is that if he wants to play in the NFL next year, he needs to transfer and get on the field as soon as possible.

http://bleacherrepor...ft-stock-rising

Why'd Dyer think he'd be able to play for Ark State right away in the first place ? Was he given bad info by Gus ? Chizik ?

Just doesn't seem right for a guy to make bad choices and still come out with millions of dollars. Not that I wish ill will...

If you did dumb stuff at a company, you might have to drop down the ranks of your career field for a while. But if you're one of the best in a high demand, well paid profession, you'll likely make your way back to or near the top again soon. Especially if your bad choices were more of a personal nature and never involved an arrest or anything serious. I don't suppose it's any more of a failure of justice for someone like Dyer to follow the same path.

May have thought, "If I go to my home state, I can claim 'family hardship' and play for a coach that knows me." I don't see what CGC would have to gain by misleading him at all. CGM, maybe might tell him "I'll see what I can do"? Don't see that either. To me, this gives him a reputation as a nomad, which may or may not hurt his NFL stock. He should have done this (Div II) in the first place.

I'm not 100% sure he'll still make millions. Dyer is small and isn't a great blocker, doesn't have great hands and doesn't have great top end speed. Before anyone tries to call me out, I had the same knocks on him at Auburn. There was a reason he was constantly splitting PT even before the behavioral problems. All that aside, had he kept his nose clean he probably would have still made a push. Now that you add in character issues....

It would be a great "career" move for him to be able to play in 2012. He can submit his name to the NFL draft after 2012, whether he plays or not. Playing this season at Pitt State would allow him to stay in football shape and to possbily prove his worth as a receiver out of the backfield.

Though he brought his current situation onto himself, I still wish the young man well and hopes he learns from his mistakes. Lord knows he would have done very well in the new offense running behind Jay Prosch.

I'm not 100% sure he'll still make millions. Dyer is small and isn't a great blocker, doesn't have great hands and doesn't have great top end speed. Before anyone tries to call me out, I had the same knocks on him at Auburn. There was a reason he was constantly splitting PT even before the behavioral problems. All that aside, had he kept his nose clean he probably would have still made a push. Now that you add in character issues....

A few years ago, I wrote a feature on RB's in the NFL and the average size of the starting RB's of the 32 NFL teams was 5-10, 219 pounds. Dyer's size is not an issue. He actually had good hands but Auburn simply did not utilize him in their pass-offense. He was targeted 3 times during his AU career and he caught all 3 passes. I always thought AU should have utilized him in the traditional RB screens as they did with Ben Tate in 2009. He did struggle in pass-protection.

It's rather simple, he enrolled at Arky State hoping his waiver would be approved and he could play this year. Now since that didn't happen he's going somewhere that he can play this year.

I wish him well. We don't go undefeated and win the national championship without him, so let's hoist one to Mike Dyer!

Michael has a huge resume advantage of having got it done as a RB in he SEC which translates well to him being able to get it done inthe NFL. Not to sound cynical, but I'm interested to see if Dyer, like Brandon Jacobs, becomes an Auburn man again on this forum if he does well in the NFL. IMHO he should be always remembered as an Auburn man that was key to our beating Oregon in the Nat'l title game.

Brandon Jacobs honored a commitment to AU by signing out of JUCO. He was in a log-jam behind Carnell & Ronnie. Played very sparingly for a year and then transferred to a Div II school for his final year. I remember him making a few comments that were digs at AU after he left but other than that seemed like he had a sense of loyalty about him.

Mike Dyer was absolutely the difference in the BCS title game. Without his 2 big runs on the final drive (among others) we would probably be thinking about what might have been. We may not even be in the game without him. I'll always remember him for that great season and he will always be a part of Auburn history. I say the same about Terry Bowden's years, but I digress. Dyer made several bad decisions and is now paying the price. He'll be drafted lower in the NFL and will be a bargain for some team. The NFL cares less about personal issues than most colleges do. If he becomes successful in the NFL, it will just make me wonder what might have been had he stayed for another year or two.

There are others that have lost their Auburn Card and I no longer wish for them to be associated with my university. This group brings out the Schadenfreude in me. Right, Mike Dyer is NOT one of those guys. James Willis, Stanley McClover, et al are members of that group.

Archived