Updated (7/29/12-Topics Merged): Mike Dyer dismissed from Arkansas State

Duder

It is being reported that Malzahn says Dyer "likely out" for this season.

Imagine that. Getting in trouble and claiming family problems to transfer didn't work.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first guess is neither. I'm guessing his application for a waiver was denied, and he'll have to sit out the year as a transfer.

I didn't think he'd be eligible. The NCAA can't let the "family problems" excuse negate the transfer rules. They'll have to get that one under control quickly. I hope they see the difference between the circumstances around Jay Prosch and Mike Dyer.

I hope they see the difference between the circumstances around Jay Prosch and Mike Dyer.

It would seem to be a clear difference to me.

Prosch's Mother has been battling cancer so he would like to be at a college that is only a three hour drive away.

Dyer...not even sure what he's trying to claim is his "family problem".

I hope they see the difference between the circumstances around Jay Prosch and Mike Dyer.

It would seem to be a clear difference to me.

Prosch's Mother has been battling cancer so he would like to be at a college that is only a three hour drive away.

Dyer...not even sure what he's trying to claim is his "family problem".

Maybe he's the family problem?

My first guess is neither. I'm guessing his application for a waiver was denied, and he'll have to sit out the year as a transfer.

We have a winner.

And yes--there is a clear distinction with Prosch. I see NOTHING to indicate his will be denied. Our coaches are certainly confident as well

What are the odds that Dyer plays another down in college?

And, what are the odds Gus moves to greener pastures next year, leaving Dyer behind.

And, what are the odds Gus moves to greener pastures next year, leaving Dyer behind.

You read my mind.

What greener pastures would those be? Gus engineered a pitiful offense in 2011. He'll have to prove himself all over again before many greener pastures open up.

About the same as Dyer declaring for the draft and leaving ASU behind.

About the same as Dyer declaring for the draft and leaving ASU behind.

So when would Canadian football or US Arena football take him. NFL walk-on? This will be a humbling drop. A guy that could have played at Auburn next fall after setting out 5 games or so, then could have declared for the NFL draft in 2013.

What greener pastures would those be? Gus engineered a pitiful offense in 2011. He'll have to prove himself all over again before many greener pastures open up.

University of Arkansas.

So when would Canadian football or US Arena football take him. NFL walk-on? This will be a humbling drop. A guy that could have played at Auburn next fall after setting out 5 games or so, then could have declared for the NFL draft in 2013.

He can still declare for the draft after this season. He likely will, and he'll likely get drafted... not where he would have had he remained at Auburn in good standing, but someone will pick him up.

Dyer has cost himself MILLIONS. Work ethic and character issues--dumbest move he could have made was to run away from it. He won't get cleared to play this year so he'll sit out, probably declare for the draft and offer a resume of:

-Solid 2010 season, partially as a back-up

-Solid 2011 season, pulled because of attitude problems, off-field stuff

-His gun being used in an armed robbery

-Admitted drug use, including weed

Kid just thee away his golden ticket

Who was it that chided me for comparing him to Mo Clarett??? He is right on track and I'll stick with my original assessment.

That comparison looks better by the month, but at least Dyer had the good sense to keep playing instead of fighting a legal battle he can't win.

Dyer has cost himself MILLIONS. Work ethic and character issues--dumbest move he could have made was to run away from it. He won't get cleared to play this year so he'll sit out, probably declare for the draft and offer a resume of:

While I agree that Dyer is probably his own worst enemy (and I absolutely hope he gets knocked on his can if he ever comes back to JHS), I think you have to give credit where credit's due:

- All-time leading freshman rusher at Auburn ("Tailback U," right?)

- BCSNCG MVP, again as a true freshman

- 2011 All-SEC First Team

I'd call that better than "Solid."

While I agree that Dyer is probably his own worst enemy (and I absolutely hope he gets knocked on his can if he ever comes back to JHS), I think you have to give credit where credit's due:

Just think what he could have been if his brain was that solid.

Now what does he have???

Now what does he have???

What he does or doesn't have now wasn't the issue (in my post). It's a shame that he (apparently) didn't handle himself the way he needed to off the field, but I don't see the point in trying to put a negative spin on his tremendous performance on the field the last two years just because he's gone.

What he did on the field isn't the only issue. I look at a player holistically and his tremendous on-field performance has become overshadowed. I'm not diminishing his performance but pointing out that had he not jammed his head in his own back-side he would've seen more PT last year

Archived