Braves

TrueTiger

BUZZIN' ABOUT ... Problems for the Braves:

Few believed the Atlanta Braves could continue their streak of division championships after major off-season changes last winter. The skepticism is likely to return in 2004 because they again face major retooling.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/in...50669122260.xml

Braves GM John Schuerholz declined to address specific players, allowing speculation to build that the organization could allow pitcher Greg Maddux, slugger Gary Sheffield and catcher Javy Lopez to walk as free agents. At the most, they probably will keep only one of them, with Sheffield the most likely to stay.

Rather than criticize manager Bobby Cox for using Russ Ortiz and Mike Hampton on three days' rest, Schuerholz blamed the first-round loss to the Cubs on the misfortune of facing Kerry Wood and Mark Prior when they were hot.

John Smoltz's health is another major question for the Braves. The organization said the elbow surgery he had last week was only to clean out scar tissue but there's suspicion doctors did more. Smoltz said he'll walk away from baseball if his elbow problems persist after this rehabilitation.

Smoltz has 100 saves and a 2.30 ERA in 137 appearances in two seasons as a closer. But he believes he would be more valuable back in the rotation.

Schuerholz said the early 2004 plans have Smoltz remaining as the closer. Doctors believe a starter's workload could be even tougher on Smoltz's elbow.

i hate to see maddux get his 300th win in another uni, but hey...them's the breaks.

it won't hurt my feelings at all if/when javy leaves.

i like sheff, but if he can't produce in the playoffs, then adios.

i hate to see maddux get his 300th win in another uni, but hey...them's the breaks.

When are they gonna get rid of the REAL PROBLEM on this team??? BOBBY COX???

When are they gonna get rid of the REAL PROBLEM on this team??? BOBBY COX???

When Bobby bows out gracefully. I won't fire this up again, but Bobby has done all he can to keep the players winning. Big time players make big plays, and the Braves weren't big-time this year.

Archived