Why not offensive linemen?

Mattco

Looking around the SEC, Auburn might be in the worst shape as far as depth goes on the offensive line.  With that said, we have some very talented backs, a history of putting linemen into the NFL and we are Running back U.  Why can't we manage to wrangle in some top notch linemen that we are looking at?  They are still signing with UA while they have a solid corp already, UGA who has tons of depth, Ole Miss has a lot of linemen on roster and yet they are still going to sign with those schools. 

I just don't understand why this seems to be the trouble position for Chizik and company to recruit right now.  It seems to me that we should be able to lock down 5 linemen this year if we wanted and we are struggling to find a third linemen to sign.  Hell, I would think that JUCO linemen would be lining up to sign with us so they could jump in and play right away for two years, yet they still don't come,

Can anyone explain this one to me?

:tdau: :we:Very good post, I have been thinking the same thing for months, We can't get any, yet other teams that have plenty are stockpyling them, just don't understand.  ST do you have a answer?????? :zapbama:

The reason we aren't getting any commit right now is because they are waiting to see what our offense looks like in game action.  Showing them the theories of it and stats are great, but they want to witness it at Auburn to know if it is what they want to be a part of.

The reason we aren't getting any commit right now is because they are waiting to see what our offense looks like in game action.  Showing them the theories of it and stats are great, but they want to witness it at Auburn to know if it is what they want to be a part of.

Good post GoCrazyAuburn.

:we:

I think if Auburn could secure just 2-3  more O Line guys (to go along with the 2 that have already commited) then we will be in good shape. IMO the oline guys are also key to sealing the deal with the top running back prospects. They (RB's) want to know that they will be able to count on blocking from a competent line and will quickly shift teir loyalties if Auburn cant close escrow on some major OL commits. Also, IMO Auburn needs a mix of JUCo guts and promising high school recruits (juco to fill the void and HS to be the future). :wedance:

I think if Auburn could secure just 2-3  more O Line guys (to go along with the 2 that have already commited) then we will be in good shape. IMO the oline guys are also key to sealing the deal with the top running back prospects. They (RB's) want to know that they will be able to count on blocking from a competent line and will quickly shift teir loyalties if Auburn cant close escrow on some major OL commits. Also, IMO Auburn needs a mix of JUCo guts and promising high school recruits (juco to fill the void and HS to be the future). :wedance:

After watching the Joel Bonomolo video, I'm not sure JUCO offensive linemen are really all that great an idea. And think about it. Why do kids with the talent to play D-I football usually go to junior colleges? Because their grades aren't up to par. Traditionally, the offensive line is the smartest group on the team, and they generally have the GPA to back it up. So yeah, I think we might better evaluate any JUCO offensive linemen very carefully before taking a chance on one.

Besides, next year we'll only be replacing one starter. What we need is depth, and freshmen CAN help with that, even if they don't start.

Archived