AHHHH!!!

OK, this has been goin on for way damn too long. I made a mistake by dowloading the new version of Ares, but quickly got rid of it. Apperently it wasn't quick enough. For the last few weeks, I have been getting popups like crazy. Like... as often as athletic positions being removed at Auburn. Seriously though, I kid not when I say I get popups literally EVERY time I go to a new site or new page in a site. Then when just reading, I'm like guaranteed a popup every 30 seconds to 1 minute. It's very frustrating. Then times I'm not even at my computer, I come back and there are anywhere from 11-17 popups. Sometimes it even changes my browser homepage, which I have to change.

Even worse, sometimes all the popups will sometimes end up being "frozen" onto my computer so like they are their permanently, forcing me to reboot.

Anyways... I downloaded Adware and so far have gotten rid of over 2,500 pieces of spyware/malware in the past month. I have a virus scanner (Norton) and it claims I have no viruses. I think it's funny that when I unplug my internet... there are STILL POPUPS, but that stay stuff like "cannot connect to internet, check connection," so I know there still has to be stuff on my computer, but I run Adware and I went through the computer myself to delete anything suspicious or anything Adware claimed to have deleted and didnot.

Any suggestions or what I can do about this problem, cuz it is VERY annoying. If there is anyone in Auburn that knows how to clean up my computer without deleting my personal files, I'd even hire ya if you are cheap. I'd buy that popup blocker, but I'm guessing that won't do anything at all.

What I do...which works everytime (only blocks spy ware and ads that pop up without even opening up a net browser)...without the use of adstopper software....I go to start, I click run...type in "msconfig"...go to startup....and make sure every box doesnt have a check on it except Task monitor and System tray (you can check other programs you are CERTAIN doesnt have any spyware or adware of any sort to also start up when you boot up).

Then I would go download zonealarm for your computer, configure it real quick (easy to use)...and then you'll be set. Been workin good for me for a while now.

Do you run Spyboy S&D also? I use both Spybot and Adaware, and notice that sometimes, Spybot will catch stuff that Ad-Aware didn't see.

Guest AuNuma1

Download and run Spybot along with your other utilities and use Firefox instead of IE. It has built in popup blocking (ON by default) and less security holes (keyword less not zero, for BS ;) ). No sense in having to download third party popup blockers when it's included in a better browser.

I dont knoiw if its something wrong with my comp but everytime ive ever downloaded a popup blocker and it blocks one itfreezes my comp. I have no popups and i run spybot and adaware once a week.....

Do you run Spyboy S&D also?  I use both Spybot and Adaware, and notice that sometimes, Spybot will catch stuff that Ad-Aware didn't see.

Big Ditto here.

http://www.secretmaker.com/default.html

In addition to Spybot and Ad aware I have been playing with Secretmaker, link above, for about a month, using the spam and worm hunters , cookie white list and privacy protector. I will probably be putting aluminum foil around my head next.

Archived