Is it time for a new coach?

gAUlf

In my eyes it just may be. Lebo is a great guy but is that enough to keep around while we are trying to build up the bball program? He has been a notoriously slow starter and i believe that has cost us when it is time for conference play. We have already lost to UCF and Troy this season. What more would it take to move in a different direction.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest auburn warrior

i havent gave up on coach lebo just yet but i mean the guy didnt have much to work with when he first came here so you gotta give hime credit he got auburn to the nit last year , and he could still get them to the ncaa but this new stadium  is going to definetly help in recruiting and  coach lebo has us headed in the right direction

I was hoping for a turnaround season this year...taking another step forward from a good season last year.  I don't see it with the way the team is playing right now.  I think the conference schedule has the potential to be really ugly.

I am hoping I am wrong.  I really like Lebo, but if he can't coach the team to beat a team like Troy, I wonder if he is the right man for the job.

:banghead:

i haven't gave up on coach lebo just yet but i mean the guy didn't have much to work with when he first came here so you gotta give him credit he got auburn to the nit last year , and he could still get them to the ncaa but this new stadium  is going to definitely help in recruiting and  coach lebo has us headed in the right direction

No offense to you, I like your optimism, but I have heard this argument for the past 2-3 years.  What a terrible hand he was dealt when he got here...how the new arena is going to help in recruiting, etc.  I think both are true.  I see strides in recruiting, but wouldn't another coach have the same advantage?  Being dealt a crappy hand when he got here is true, but he has been here long enough that the hand he has now, is the one he has dealt himself.  I pray he continues to improve us.  I really like him, but I am not sure if he it the right one for the job anymore.

:dunno:

YES, it is time for a new coach if he doesnt do well this year. I thought he should have been gone before last year but now that the season has already started they are going to have to let him finish it out. He has been a terrible recruiter and AU basketball has been bad every year he has been here except for the 2nd half of last season and we still didnt get into the NCAA tourney b/c he didnt have our guys playing well at the beginning of the year.  This year is already looking like its going to be very ugly.  You cant lose to Troy if you want to make the NCAAs in March.  I was in school during the Cliff Ellia years and we had a well coached team with BIG TIME recruits when he was here.  They fired him and brought in Lebo and all the good players left the program over his first two years and we lost game after game.  Lebo has yet to find a good true big man/center and we are stuck playing small ball every year and relying on having to hit the 3 ball to even have a remote chance of beating good teams. Its completely unacceptable.  This is his last year in my book, he better make the NCAA tourney or he should be shown the door.  Right now it looks like he better be packing his stuff. 

No. Absolutely not. We made it to the NIT last year, we just beat a pretty decent Virginia team, and the class we signed in the early period was rated as high as top 5 in the country if I'm not mistaken, headlined by 6'10 four star Shawn Kemp, Jr, son of the NBA great. I think Lebo is doing a pretty good job.

YES, it is time for a new coach if he doesnt do well this year. I thought he should have been gone before last year but now that the season has already started they are going to have to let him finish it out. He has been a terrible recruiter and AU basketball has been bad every year he has been here except for the 2nd half of last season and we still didnt get into the NCAA tourney b/c he didnt have our guys playing well at the beginning of the year.  This year is already looking like its going to be very ugly.  You cant lose to Troy if you want to make the NCAAs in March.  I was in school during the Cliff Ellia years and we had a well coached team with BIG TIME recruits when he was here.  They fired him and brought in Lebo and all the good players left the program over his first two years and we lost game after game.  Lebo has yet to find a good true big man/center and we are stuck playing small ball every year and relying on having to hit the 3 ball to even have a remote chance of beating good teams. Its completely unacceptable.  This is his last year in my book, he better make the NCAA tourney or he should be shown the door.  Right now it looks like he better be packing his stuff. 

Getting rid of Lebo now would be yet another huge mistake for the basketball program. Cliff Ellis left the team on probation, loss of scholarships and then all the good players immediately left. He didn't even have a full complement until last year and now that he has one of the top recruiting classes in the country coming in some want to get rid of him. Who do you think would take it if he treated him like that? Unfortunately, Auburn is not noted as a top basketball school. Considering the conditions under which he has had to work, I think he has done an excellent job. Thankfully, the fans don't get to pick the coaches.

he had those circumstances five years ago; his teams start off slowly; the NIT is for teams that arent in the top 64; i dont know if i'd brag about an NIT bid; he's had 5 years to put size on the floor and he hasnt; the only thing that he has done productive is beat bama on a consistant basis; and tennessee when bruce pearl was on top of the world

BUT having said that: the future looks bright! WDE    :we:

Who would we go after?  I would love to see Mike Anderson or Jimmy Tillette get a chance.  We are a football school, so we're not going to get a Roy Williams or somebody like that and we're not gonna always have the best talent, so one of these 2 coaches would make the most sense to me.  Either we run 40 min of hell, and play all over the court, or we play a princeton style offense like Samford's.  Look at the smaller teams that make the NCAA tourney every year and some make it close to the end.  They play a unique style that helps even the playing field against teams that have better talent.

I've tried giving Lebo a chance now for years, and yes when he got here alot of the players quit and left him high and dry, but my god it seems like every year 2 or 3 guys are either run off or they quit or they stay hurt, etc.  Enough with the excuses, and start producing! :banghead:

Oh my god here we go again with this crap. Lebo is a fine coach and he will be here a long time.

Has anybody noticed that we are playing a pretty good bit of freshman this year? We did the same thing last year and went on to win 14 of our last 16 games,

Please be patient

We're going on 6 years of being patient. I think Lebo is a great guy. I don't believe anyone here will question that.

But he is 81-76 at Auburn with a conference record of 28-51. All this while the SEC has been way down (see last years NCAA tournament). True next years class looks good but I believe that's because of the new arena selling it's self.  If a second place west finish and third round NIT is good enough than so be it but i would love to see all of Auburns programs excell. Not trying to dog Lebo, i hope he does great this year, but if not i really think we should part ways.

We're going on 6 years of being patient. I think Lebo is a great guy. I don't believe anyone here will question that.

But he is 81-76 at Auburn with a conference record of 28-51. All this while the SEC has been way down (see last years NCAA tournament). True next years class looks good but I believe that's because of the new arena selling it's self.  If a second place west finish and third round NIT is good enough than so be it but i would love to see all of Auburn's programs excel. Not trying to dog Lebo, i hope he does great this year, but if not i really think we should part ways.

I agree totally with this post.  I have wanted Lebo to succeed for years now, and it seems like we just come up short for whatever reason.  I am hoping for the best this year.  Nothing would make me happier than to see AU in the NCAAs with Lebo as the coach.  Unfortunately, if he doesn't produce this year we should part company.

ok who are we going to get? and why would we want to screw up next years recruiting class that could be the best one in a loooong time.

the arena is almost done... once its done he can finally sell the universitys dedication to Auburn basketball. Beard Eaves is just not impressive for recruiting.

I will end up beating a dead horse, but I think lebo should stay. This season is not over yet and we play a good florida st team on December 17th, a win there on the road could be the medecine lebo needs to turn this thing around.

im just saying be careful what you wish for

Bobby Knight. I bet he wants to get back into coaching and throwing chairs.

That is an image that Auburn doesn't need. Granted he's a good coach but he is like a wet load of dynamite, you never know when he's going to go off.

I can kinda tell when a joke gets cracked in a post, it means the topic is old... I want lebo to stay but its obvious I cant win this losing battle. I wish him the best and I really like the guy. Best of luck to him and our tigers.

WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I can kinda tell when a joke gets cracked in a post, it means the topic is old... I want lebo to stay but its obvious I cant win this losing battle. I wish him the best and I really like the guy. Best of luck to him and our tigers.

WAR DAMN EAGLE!

This +1

I hope he can get the ship righted and I've been an avid Lebo defender for 6 years now but it is time to put up or shut up. Yes he came into a bad situation but this isn't football. 1 really good recruiting class can turn a team from an also ran into a team competing for a national title(See UK this year). Now I know that we aren't ever going to be able to recruit on the same level as the UK's and NC's of the world but it's been 6 years and still no NCAA birth. I love basketball and really want Lebo to get us to the next level but time is running out. We have a brand new arena next year and need to have something positive happen for the program. If Lebo can't do it then maybe we can get somebody like Brad Stevens from Butler. We just spent 90 million on a new arena. I'm pretty sure they could pony up 1.5 million dollar/ year salary to attact a coach like him.

http://www.butlersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/stevens_brad00.html

ok who are we going to get? and why would we want to screw up next years recruiting class that could be the best one in a loooong time.

the arena is almost done... once its done he can finally sell the universitys dedication to Auburn basketball. Beard Eaves is just not impressive for recruiting.

I will end up beating a dead horse, but I think lebo should stay. This season is not over yet and we play a good florida st team on December 17th, a win there on the road could be the medecine lebo needs to turn this thing around.

im just saying be careful what you wish for

My first choice would still be Lebo. I hope he susprises everyone and we finish the season strong with a post season bid. If not i would like to see us make another run at Mike Anderson. He was arleady out the door at UAB and headed to Auburn before we hired Lebo, but we refused to go to B'ham and insisted he come to Auburn for an interview. Mike Davis would be a good candidate. Maybe Tubby Smith would like to come back to the SEC?  :dunno:

We will not have another season like we did last year. The reason is..... Lebo can't coach. I've watched to many games where he makes no adjustments throughout entire games. He doesn't draw up plays during time outs. He WASTES useful game time. Everyone keeps asking who are we gonna get, like Lebo was a big name to begin with. I never agree with firing someone in the middle of the year, but that doesn't mean we can't start window shopping for someone else now.

We will not have another season like we did last year. The reason is..... Lebo can't coach. I've watched to many games where he makes no adjustments throughout entire games. He doesn't draw up plays during time outs. He WASTES useful game time. Everyone keeps asking who are we gonna get, like Lebo was a big name to begin with. I never agree with firing someone in the middle of the year, but that doesn't mean we can't start window shopping for someone else now.

I see some games, and I think he is an incredible coach, and at other times, (Troy), and I think he gets outcoached way too much.  I hope he pulls it out, because I like him, but if the season starts to tank, we have to start asking who can we get.

:dunno:

Oh my god here we go again with this crap. Lebo is a fine coach and he will be here a long time.

Has anybody noticed that we are playing a pretty good bit of freshman this year? We did the same thing last year and went on to win 14 of our last 16 games,

Please be patient

two of our starters are seniors (hargrove and reed) waller is a sophomore along with lett and knox... i dont see that many freshman.. and frankie sullivan is also a sophomore.. no freshmen there...

Waller, Lett and Knox were all JC transfers. They are seniors this year.

Please be patient

two of our starters are seniors (hargrove and reed) waller is a sophomore along with lett and knox... i dont see that many freshman.. and frankie sullivan is also a sophomore.. no freshmen there...

Archived